ZF6 cooling needed

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Melms--that's a great suggestion.:thumb: I'll ask the diesel technology guys who do the wrenching on my truck to lower idle for me when they do the clutch work for me next month. How much can the idle be lowered without causing problems when not backing?

I was told once to bump the idle up once by a friend to make it easier to take off without killing. I hated it, and made it jerky and hard to keep steady. I found lowering the idle allowed me to ride the clutch more and actually easier taking off and backing up.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Melms--that's a great suggestion.:thumb: I'll ask the diesel technology guys who do the wrenching on my truck to lower idle for me when they do the clutch work for me next month. How much can the idle be lowered without causing problems when not backing?

I'm getting mixed messages about the dual disc clutch. I've been told that if the clutch modification is not done correctly the trailer backing can become more difficult because the clutch can become "on or off" due to the quicker and more powerful engagement the dual discs provide. If the discs are not ceramic then I'm guessing the "on off" may not be as pronounced. Thanks

if you go below 475rpm, the truck will start loping. id try around 575-600. 01 lb7 originally came with 600rpm at warm idle but the newest OS updates in 02 bumped the idle to 650-675 for better a/c action at idle.

Clutch_less

5th clutch coming soon
Nov 21, 2018
TN & FL
Anybody know what company made a clutch kit (flywheel, pressure plate, disc, etc.) with the part no. pk-hd 1050k ? I found in my records this kit was installed in truck the last time but SBC or Valaire don't list the number as one of theirs. Google hasn't found it for me either. This clutch was installed in British Columbia but I don't know if that makes any difference. Thanks.

I just notice that SBC has a single disc clutch kit with part number SDM0105OK and the last 5 numbers are the same as what I am looking for. The first part of the number I am looking for may be some Canadian supplier's nomenclature.

Last edited:

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
If you do go with dual disk and it solves your problem, please update us!

I've got a ZF6 with the SB dual disk, but I've only got maybe 2 miles on it, and the truck needs a lot more work before I get to really start testing it out and pulling with it.

But it would be nice to know for the future what's needed for heavy hauling.