LBZ: Y Bridge removal

SmithLBZ

Jan 11, 2012
TN
Putting twins on this weekend.... Does anyone have any pointers or tricks to getting the factory Y-bridge off without taking the stock turbo off?

Thanks

hotdogstand

May 27, 2013
Norfolk, VA
Does it free up any space to pull the turbo mouth piece and intake off? It looks like the y-bridge should come up straight. The top 2 bolts on each side come out, and the bottom 2 are studs, if that helps.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Putting twins on this weekend.... Does anyone have any pointers or tricks to getting the factory Y-bridge off without taking the stock turbo off?

Thanks

I carefully bend the fuel return line out of the way and then cuss a lot and it magically unbolts itself....

no, I'm just kidding, I use a 1/4" drive universal with 10mill 6pt and some extensions

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
Ok I'm in the same boat right now... except mine is an LLY, so the fuel lines are over top of the y bridge... do I have to remove them?

madmax02

Apr 30, 2012
Taylor, Mi
I didn't remove mine. I did have to take the fuel line brackets loose and carefully bend the lines out of the way. I didn't think it was that bad if a job, just time consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I pulled the turbo inlet elbow off, on the LBZ I had to also remove the upper radiator tube, I think I also moved the ac compressor unit out of the way for room to work, I unbolted the hard fuel line to give it wiggle room instead of bending it, then it took two long extensions with wobble ends to get to the lower nuts and I had to come at them from the opposite side, it wasn't all that easy, for me at least, it's not all that difficult of a job, just really tight and you have to be patient, have a telescoping magnet in case you drop something into the valley, the magnet also helped me get the lower nuts back on cuz i couldnt get the y bridge to sneak by them when they were on the posts and I had to tape the socket onto the extension cuz every time I pulled the tool assembly out the socket came off cuz it's so tight. This is a good time to do the high flow cp3 feed line kit from ppe and if your into it, the factory fuel filter and filter head delete too.

They-bridge is a pain in the neck, but a worth while upgrade, good luck

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
like juddski said, cuss alot and I mean A LOT!!! I actually had to knock my turbo loose because the pass side top rear nut was hitting the compressor housing, but 1/4" drive 10mm with extensions and even a swivel, and it came right out.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
like juddski said, cuss alot and I mean A LOT!!! I actually had to knock my turbo loose because the pass side top rear nut was hitting the compressor housing, but 1/4" drive 10mm with extensions and even a swivel, and it came right out.

You too? I had the same issue with the upper passenger side rear bolt, I figured it was cuz I was running a 4094vgt, someone else said something about it and recommended cutting the bolt and replacing it with a pan head Allen, which is what I did, but then i couldnt get the post that was left to turn out, so then i cut the y bridge itself:eek::mad:

In hindsight I should've just loosened the turbo but I felt like that led to more work and possibly more COCOAL screw ups:roflmao:

:joker:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You too? I had the same issue with the upper passenger side rear bolt, I figured it was cuz I was running a 4094vgt, someone else said something about it and recommended cutting the bolt and replacing it with a pan head Allen, which is what I did, but then i couldnt get the post that was left to turn out, so then i cut the y bridge itself:eek::mad:

In hindsight I should've just loosened the turbo but I felt like that led to more work and possibly more COCOAL screw ups:roflmao:

:joker:
Yeah, the trick to that is you have to loosen the screw completely before you cut the head off. I've only had to do that on the LMM. They always clear just fine for me on the LBZ.

Balindir

Rod shortning in progress
Jul 30, 2012
South Central, Pa
By the way I was talking to a friend about this, and I didn't realize the pipe comes out of the front of the Y-bridge... Thats should make it alot easier!!

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
Ok guys any tricks to getting the front bottom bolts out of the y bridge? I have the other 6 loose but cant get the front bottom ones...

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
1/4" drive with long extension, wobble, and patience. If you don't have your coolant tube- thermostat housing removed, it will be next to impossible.

Here, this will save a few minutes of searching.

I use a long wobble extension and short 1/4" drive 10 mm socket to get the lower back bolts. When I put them back in, I use electrical tape to hold the nut into the socket. Don't let the tape wrap around under the flange when you do it, and the socket will pull right off once it starts on the stud. You may have to use a pry bar to move the coolant line around to get on them. For the top back ones, I use a wrench to spin them out. On some trucks (mainly LMMs) the top left bolt won't clear the compressor housing so I take a little saw and cut the head off and spin it out the rest of the way by hand or with a pair of needle nose if it is being stubborn. Then I get a pan head allen bolt that is just a little bit shorter to go back in. I tighten it with a ball end allen wrench. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
1/4" drive with long extension, wobble, and patience. If you don't have your coolant tube- thermostat housing removed, it will be next to impossible.

Here, this will save a few minutes of searching.

Thanks ill try that method again but I just can't seem to get on them... And I have the thermostat tube and turbo removed along with all the fuel lines loosened

Thanks Jared

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
What about the y-bridge inlet, have you pulled it yet? It was easy for me to get the front bottom bolts out once the inlet was out of the way.

Corey