WTF is wrong with parts store counter guys????

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
I seriously just had a 30 minute argument with a guy behind the counter at O'reilly's over the fact that just because a 02 Monte Carlo is fuel injected,,, doesn't mean it's no longer naturally-aspirated.
It all started when i went in to price some parts for a side job I'm doing this week. I tell the lady (who is the best they have there) what I need for a 02 Monte Carlo and tell her it's not the SC 3.8 engine but the standard, naturally-aspirated 3.8 (couldn't remember which VIN was what). That's when this guy come up and says,,, "you got a naturally-aspirated 02?? What'd you take the fuel injection off and put a carb on???". I then ask what the eff he's talking about and he replies "naturally aspirated engines have carb on them" After arguing with him for a while over it explaining that the aspiration type has nothing to do w/ fuel induction type I get my prices and leave,,,,,,, only to return w/ several pages worth of info explaining the differences between natural and forced induction. I walk in, hand them to him, and politely tell him to read up and next time he argures with a cust to know what the hell he's talking about cause he sounds like a real idiot when he doesn't.
I only did this because I've stood in line there and on several occasions heard him give info that was WAY off base or suggest customers do things that would make things way harder on themselves and their vehicles. I've even stopped this very guy before and gave the right info to the customer right in front of him and everybody in the store. I really do hate to do it and and am in no real way trying to one up him or talk down on him but WTF is going through his mind sometimes is just beyond me! You think he'd learn at some point and quite talking.

Sorry,,,, rant off.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Most parts guys know just enough to be dangerous .

Napa seems to have decent people to deal with around here .

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
Our Napa here is pretty good as well but have short hours and higher prices. I go here because the parts are better then AutoZone and the one lady who works there is pretty sharp and will flat out say when she's in over her head instead of trying to BS her way out of looking stupid like these other guys do.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Id have to agree with Matt. Even my local NAPA has lost all their good, intelligent people, and now we have to deal with guys who just arent as knowledgable.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
I went into my local Autozone one time with a failed HEI module that I had bought from them and had the part number CLEARLY STAMPED ON IT. I told the guy it was bad and I need another and gave him the part number telling him just to give me the exact same PN because he's not going to find it by vehicle year make and model. He looks it up by pn and says yep thats a good number and we have one but just to be sure it's right, what's the year, make and model of the vehicle it's in. I was effin floored but went along just because. I told him it was out of my 69 K20 w/ a 350 in it. He was pretty much lost from there on and told me it was impossible. I went elsewhere just because of him evethough he just told me they had the part I needed.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I hate parts store guys. Good parts guys are few and far between anymore. Kinda like mechanics...

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I went into my local Autozone one time with a failed HEI module that I had bought from them and had the part number CLEARLY STAMPED ON IT. I told the guy it was bad and I need another and gave him the part number telling him just to give me the exact same PN because he's not going to find it by vehicle year make and model. He looks it up by pn and says yep thats a good number and we have one but just to be sure it's right, what's the year, make and model of the vehicle it's in. I was effin floored but went along just because. I told him it was out of my 69 K20 w/ a 350 in it. He was pretty much lost from there on and told me it was impossible. I went elsewhere just because of him evethough he just told me they had the part I needed.

Bout 15 years ago I went to Chief Auto (now AutoZone) and asked for 8 ACDelco 42ts spark plugs...Boy Wonder proceeded to ask me year/make/model...I asked again politely for the plugs...He insisted on more info, so I explained that it was for a 1955 Chevy BelAir w/350, 6-71 charger and dual 660s...I got a blank stare after that and again asked politely for the plugs:D

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I used to do the same thing to them with parts for my Bronco II. I would go in asking for engine parts (that actually fit the 5.0 from the 88 crown vic donor), axle parts (that fit '79 F250) and when they would insist on year/make/model I would simply give them the Bronco II's info then watch their blank stare for a few minutes before telling them to just get me the damn part number I asked for.

I ended up working at Auto Zone for a short bit and would have a line in front of my register all the time, the other people working there would ask "can I help you" to some one a few times when they would say "I'm waiting for Dustin, he knows what he's talking about". Now when I go in I just jump on a computer and when they start to say anything I tell them I used to work there and they leave me alone. Half the time I go get my parts in the back too.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
I used to do the same thing to them with parts for my Bronco II. I would go in asking for engine parts (that actually fit the 5.0 from the 88 crown vic donor), axle parts (that fit '79 F250) and when they would insist on year/make/model I would simply give them the Bronco II's info then watch their blank stare for a few minutes before telling them to just get me the damn part number I asked for.

I ended up working at Auto Zone for a short bit and would have a line in front of my register all the time, the other people working there would ask "can I help you" to some one a few times when they would say "I'm waiting for Dustin, he knows what he's talking about". Now when I go in I just jump on a computer and when they start to say anything I tell them I used to work there and they leave me alone. Half the time I go get my parts in the back too.

:rofl:

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
Try ordering parts for a kodiak . I just order everything at the parts store for a 05 2500 . Saves alot of time .

There isnt to many good parts guys around anymore . You just want to take the keyboard from the guy usually and hit him on the head with it .

I wouldnt mind the self parts ck out in this case . :D

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
If i have to go to auto zone or a parts store i drive around back and see what they drive, it offers some insight to what i am getting into.

Usually i go to the local hot rod shop first, if they don't have it... they send me to the talented people that drive stuff like we do and what its about. For diesels there ain't many. My local dealer has a diesel service tech who has free rein/talented with a tech 2 and nows how to use it.

Sorry to hear about ur crap! I guess i get lucky.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Its aggrivating going to the parts store anymore.

I tell em i have an 06 model so i dont go thr the whole " 07 classic" thing .

I was in a pinch and called autozone the other day for a fuel filter.

Told him , " need a fuel Filter for an 06 Duramax Diesel" Nuff said , Right??

No, He said, thats a diesel, right? ( I was starting to brew) Yes I said.,

Then He asks, " 6.6 liter High out put or standard output? " WHAT !!!????

Then He asks, " 2 or 4 wheel drive? . i said the Damn Fuel filter is the SAME ,
Just Give me one!!

Man These guys aggrivate me. :mad:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
yeah, love the "2wd or 4wd" question for engine parts. :rofl:

2WD/4WD is part of the model description, which is why they ask. I used to just select one without asking if it was something that I knew wouldn't affect the part someone was asking for.

I think it's funny when they can't find me something and I finally get them to let me have the keyboard -10 seconds later I am sending them after the part I need.