WIX vs Racor / AC Delco

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
So the new plastic WIX filters have been out for a while and my search shows some people are using them, others are staying with the AC Delco or Racor filters. But I would like to know if anyone who has used the WIX filter has switched back to the AC Delco or Racor filter. And if you have, why?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I hate the Wix fuel filters. I've seen a lot of them leak, and I'm not convinced the filter actually filters as well.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
For the first time last week I deviated from AC/Delco and threw on a Baldwin. I couldn't say no to 13$. The Delco is just too expensive even with a nice parts counter discount. My little AD 100 does all the dirty work anyhow so the OEM type filter is really just a fail safe.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Friend of mine who runs his own shop was putting the WIX plastic filters on for about 3 months before they all started coming back with low rail pressure codes. Replaced the filters with AC DELCO from GM and no more low rail pressure codes. And a lot of people have had BAD problems with them leaking air around the WIF sensor.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Friend of mine who runs his own shop was putting the WIX plastic filters on for about 3 months before they all started coming back with low rail pressure codes. Replaced the filters with AC DELCO from GM and no more low rail pressure codes. And a lot of people have had BAD problems with them leaking air around the WIF sensor.

Same issue here at the dealership. All the plastic bodied filters seem to be the first ones to set low fuel pressure codes. Especially when cold weather sets in.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Thanks for the comments guys. The first WIX filter went on with no problem. However the second one gave me some trouble (flash around the mating surface). Finally got it put on with no leaks. So now the injectors are getting louder, especially between 1500 to 2000 rpm. I'm looking to run the concentrated fuel injector cleaner to see if it helps quiet them down. I will change the filter just before I do this so I am trying to decide if I stay with WIX or go back to the Racor / AC Delco filter. From what I have red, the Racor definitely sounds like a better filter.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
A while back there were problems with the WIX inner seal being too loose and allowing large particles to get past the filter. I tried one once and it was too easy to install, the Racor, Delco and Baldwin are all harder to install because they fit so much tighter. I don't use the WIX any more, got a couple of 'em on my shelf and that's where they'll probably stay...

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Racor/AC Delco. I have no analysis but based on size difference and knowing the quality of filter media inside the racor coalescer, I suspect the Wix is cutting corners somewhere. Run a Racor for 30k miles next time and then cut it open. The dirt holding capacity of that filter media will absolutely blow your mind. Yes it's an expensive filter, but it's ~double the price of any other OEM light diesel filter and lasts 3-5 times as long before loading enough to restrict flow. That's a bargain.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Throw them all away and get a quality filter on the lift pump.I use a wix water sep 3 micron 68 %efficency and 2 micron absolute napa gold after the pump on the lift pump/filter set ups I make.A 6 to 7 micron filter after all that seams silly to me so I have no top side filter anymore I also have what I would say is a bit freer flowing fuel because it doesnt ha e to sell ow down to run thru the top side filter.The 1/2 fuel line from the lift pump direct to the ficm (just didnt want to run it dry for some reason) probably helps also.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I tried a plastic Wix and lost rail pressure on the LML at 80 mph. At WOT at 80 it would cut the engine off till I let up on the throttle.

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Throw them all away and get a quality filter on the lift pump.I use a wix water sep 3 micron 68 %efficency and 2 micron absolute napa gold after the pump on the lift pump/filter set ups I make.A 6 to 7 micron filter after all that seams silly to me so I have no top side filter anymore I also have what I would say is a bit freer flowing fuel because it doesnt ha e to sell ow down to run thru the top side filter.The 1/2 fuel line from the lift pump direct to the ficm (just didnt want to run it dry for some reason) probably helps also.

What he said is the ideal solution but the new Racors are 4 micron at a very high single pass efficiency and they may be the best option for non lift pump stock replacement.

But... A lift pump and some 2-3 micron filters are your friends.

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
I run a napa 3418 waterseperator feeding a 1r0750 CAT filter both mounted next to my Kennedy lift pumps. I put a FASS fuel filter delete bowl on the stock filterhead. I wanted to still be able to prime the trucks from the stock filterhead. Seems to work good and no more pulling the damn wheel well liner off the LMM to change filters.

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
I tried a plastic Wix and lost rail pressure on the LML at 80 mph. At WOT at 80 it would cut the engine off till I let up on the throttle.

mmm, intriguing. I don't know what more interesting, the lml getting pissed off with the plastic filter, or mike driving 80!:driving2:

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Thanks for the comments guys. I also agree that a lift pump with a 2 micron filter and water separator is the best for these trucks. But I haven't been able to afford one yet (yeah I know cheaper than injectors). So I want to put the best stock replacement filter on my truck that I can. I thought the WIX filter was a good filter, like most of their other filters. Unfortunately I was wrong so I'm going to order one of the Racor filters immediately. I got the WIX filter from Rock Auto for $36.99. Dirty Hooker Diesel has the best price for the Racor filter a $28.95 so that makes it even better in my book. I'm planning to cut the WIX filter open. If it's as "cheap" as I think it is I will be giving WIX a piece of my mind.

http://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-14902337-racor-pff50216-spin-on-fuel-filter-duramax-diesel-pickups-6-6l.html

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I haven't ordered the Racor filter yet. A friend of mine got me thinking about the Nicktane adapter with the Donaldson 3 Micron W/S Filter. What do you guys think about this over the Racor?

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
I must be in the minority here. I have the plastic ones on my tow rig and my pulling truck. Haven't had an issue. I've used both the NAPA and the WIX plastic ones. The tow rig isn't pushed too hard ('05 LLY) with small tune in it. The '02 has a Wicked stage III CP3 and I'm pushing the stock injectors for all their worth. No issues with the plastic fuel filters. On the puller I also run another filter just before my belt driven lift pump to keep debris out of the lift pump and the valve body. Then the factory filter is between the lift pump and the CP3.