Will too much fuel hurt?

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Ok I bought a 2011 LML and going to put on a FASS titanium lift pump with some EFI live tuning. I'm only going to do maybe 110hp tune since truck is stock so my question is the pump I found is a 250 gph pump so is too much fuel bad? And I found a new FASS titanium pump 250 gph, with the sump kit for $660 is that a good deal?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Ok I bought a 2011 LML and going to put on a FASS titanium lift pump with some EFI live tuning. I'm only going to do maybe 110hp tune since truck is stock so my question is the pump I found is a 250 gph pump so is too much fuel bad? And I found a new FASS titanium pump 250 gph, with the sump kit for $660 is that a good deal?
It will work. Just way way overkill an wont last as long

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
If you decide to go further it will keep up for a long time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

GM_Guy

Jan 21, 2016
Southeast MI
I wouldn't recommend going overkill on the pump with a daily driver.

At idle and part throttle most of the fuel is being returned to the tank, the more the fuel is cycled the more it goes through the hot lift and injection pumps. Hotter fuel means less lubricity and poorer atomization the hotter the fuel pump runs the shorter the life span.

A 150 will feed even the big stroker cp3's no problem, so if you decide to go further a 150 will likely still be enough.

My airdog 165 4g keeps up with my dual pumps during 950hp track passes and it's quiet as can be, if noise is a concern that's what I recommend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Is there really a difference in FASS and Airdog? I read Airdog was family owned and they split up so then it became airdog and fass. Not sure how true that is.

GM_Guy

Jan 21, 2016
Southeast MI
There are definitely differences. Fass has a better track record, but the airdog 4g is by far the best lift pump I've ever had. I've had fass, fuelab, and a few other homebrew setups.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
There are definitely differences. Fass has a better track record, but the airdog 4g is by far the best lift pump I've ever had. I've had fass, fuelab, and a few other homebrew setups.

c20elephant; said:
I like the Fuelab with the permanent air removal chamber, one less filter to deal with. But, from what I understand after speaking with Fuelab and reading the literature the pump is prone to burn up if you don't install a gauge to monitor the fuel filters and change promptly when conditions indicate.

The Fuelab warranty is only 2 years and I'm not always sold on lifetime warranties as it indicates to me you're gonna have a problem with our product. Most of the burnout FASS/Airdog lift pumps are more than likely several things: Less than adequate electrical supply on the stock truck and harness to the pump, stock fuel system pickup not upgraded and loaded/plugged filters, but hey you have a "lifetime warranty" right....?

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the LML has no fuel cooler and making the pump return alot of fuel after being pressurized and moved around generates heat. it wont cause the injectors/cp4 to return more fuel but the lift pump will return more. is it enough to make fuel temps high? couldnt say but on a low tank with it running, id bet you see a difference for no lift pump and a lift pump

id get a FASS 150 and call it done

GM_Guy

Jan 21, 2016
Southeast MI
Even though the fass has its own return there will still be more fuel returning from the cp4, which is actually good for the cp4, unless the fuel gets heat soaked in which case it won't cool the cp4 much.

Idk if anyone has monitored fuel Temps, but above 140 degrees the fuel starts to lose its lubricity, at which point I would add a fuel cooler because the cp4 needs as much lubrication as it can get.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Even though the fass has its own return there will still be more fuel returning from the cp4, which is actually good for the cp4, unless the fuel gets heat soaked in which case it won't cool the cp4 much.

Idk if anyone has monitored fuel Temps, but above 140 degrees the fuel starts to lose its lubricity, at which point I would add a fuel cooler because the cp4 needs as much lubrication as it can get.

what added fuel may be returned from the CP4 wont be pressurized from it where the majority of the heat is made. it would only get the added heat from the engine radiant heat.

Well ill tell you right now, every truck in arizona currently that is driving on the road is pushing fuel temps well above 140*. i run a B&M cooler with 1000cfm fan on it and will see 140-150* unloaded in the summer with a full tank and cooler on the truck . without it, 170-180* is the norm. you start pulling hills with a load and your seeing 220* or more without a better than stock cooler.

if fuel temp was that big of factor on the CP4, we would have seen a good cooler on these new trucks. maybe we will see one on the newer ones coming.

GM_Guy

Jan 21, 2016
Southeast MI
what added fuel may be returned from the CP4 wont be pressurized from it where the majority of the heat is made. it would only get the added heat from the engine radiant heat.

Well ill tell you right now, every truck in arizona currently that is driving on the road is pushing fuel temps well above 140*. i run a B&M cooler with 1000cfm fan on it and will see 140-150* unloaded in the summer with a full tank and cooler on the truck . without it, 170-180* is the norm. you start pulling hills with a load and your seeing 220* or more without a better than stock cooler.

if fuel temp was that big of factor on the CP4, we would have seen a good cooler on these new trucks. maybe we will see one on the newer ones coming.
Agreed it's radiant heat, not heat from pressurization.

I'm with you, I have a large derale cooler for my fuel as well and if I get stuck in traffic on a hot day I've seen over 140.

I don't know to what degree it looses it's lubricity I just know the decline begins about 140.

Just like trans fluid may be optimal at 180 but 200 isn't going to ruin your trans anytime quick.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Crazy. I never even thought about fuel temp. I read the old posts from Mike L. And some others tonight. For shits and giggles I checked mine on my lmm coming home tonight. 138degrees doing 80mph at about 13kpsi and it was about 85 degrees outside. When I got off the highway they came down a little on the short local drive home; pretty flat land. I was running very low on fuel and the light came on as I got home.

GM_Guy

Jan 21, 2016
Southeast MI
Crazy. I never even thought about fuel temp. I read the old posts from Mike L. And some others tonight. For shits and giggles I checked mine on my lmm coming home tonight. 138degrees doing 80mph at about 13kpsi and it was about 85 degrees outside. When I got off the highway they came down a little on the short local drive home; pretty flat land. I was running very low on fuel and the light came on as I got home.
That's not bad with no fuel cooler and low fuel.

I'm sure most trucks see well over 140, I admit I'm only regurgitating what I was told.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I'm also running a huge mechanical lift pump with a 12lb regulator.

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Maybe dumb question but if it's radiant heat would a fuel cooler even help? I'm thinking I'm you run fuel from tank, through lift pump, thru cooler and then it just gets heated by the engine anyways.

GM_Guy

Jan 21, 2016
Southeast MI
My fuel cooler is on the return side before it goes back to the tank.

I was checking fuel temps last night and after about an hour of sitting in traffic I had 135-140 going into the fuel cooler and 105-110 coming out. My fuel filter heads on my airdog were about 135.

I've noticed that once the pump gets above 140 degrees pressure starts dropping slightly

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My fuel cooler is on the return side before it goes back to the tank.

same with mine.

there are two different ways of thinking. cool the big heat sink of a fuel tank or cool the fuel just before it enters the cp3/cp4. i dont know if one is really more beneficial over the other but having a good cooler has shown to increase mpg some. i saw a 1-2mpg increase when towing from it but i also have dual cp3's, AD165, and generate alot of heat in the engine area from towing with a large tow tune. my cooler has the air dog return going to it as well as all returning fuel from the engine so all fuel gets cooled before it goes in the tank.

GM_Guy

Jan 21, 2016
Southeast MI
The problem with cooling the fuel before it enters the cp3 is at 10-15 psi the fuel will be moving through the cooler quickly reducing the amount of cooling that happens.

On the return side there should be almost no pressure so in theory it's moving slower through the cooler, increasing the efficiency of the cooler.