Why no blowoff valves?

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Hahaha

But seriously... Do you have a write up or something on how you made the bov? If I could make one for $50 I would. Just wouldn't spend $600 on a bd bov

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Well really not much to write up as its pretty simple plus the main points have already been discussed here. But let me dig up a picture and maybe I'll make a diagram real quick.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
100_1714.jpg

That's a pic when I was first trying it out. And yes it was bolted onto the pipe at that time haha. Its all welded up now. And here is my professional diagram of what I did:

54768AAC-orig.jpg

The picture shows what is actually inside of the blow off valve. There is a piston in the middle with a pressure port on each side of it, and then an adjustable spring pushing on only one side of the piston. Then there is a little rod tied into the piston which runs down and controls the actual 'valve' that opens and closes the port to your intake. The valve I used is a cheapo one off of craigslist made to be used on a turbocharged gasoline engine. I tapped into my waistgate boost line and ran that to the 'Boost Reference' port on the valve. And then I took some copper tubing and installed it into my passenger exhaust manifold. Coiled it about 4-6 times to allow for ample cooling, installed a little filter, then ran that hose to the 'Intake Manifold' reference port on the valve. I'm basing this setup off of a 1:1 boost-to-drive pressure ratio as it makes explaining it easy.

So at idle/low boost operation there is not much going on. Boost pressure and drive pressure are on the low side with very minimal differences. The spring pressure helps guarantee the valve is staying in the shut position.

Under high boost, say 30psi, the BOV now has 30psi on one side of the piston and roughly 30-35psi for drive pressure on the other side of the piston. So since the pressure on the drive pressure side is the same (if not a bit higher than boost pressure) along with the spring helping out, the valve stays in the closed position.

Now lets chop the throttle, under full boost, with a loose unlocked converter. Drive pressure drops due to loss of heat and rpm. But yet there still is boost pressure in the intake. So now there is 30psi on the boost side of the valve yet no pressure on the exhaust drive pressure side. This pressure difference overcomes the little spring inside of the valve and PSSSHHHHH :D

Each setup will be different though. It took me a lot of fine tuning to get it perfect. The original spring in the BOV will more than likely need to be changed out for a very soft spring, as its designed to overcome vacuum in a gasoline engine. I'm still experimenting with the filter in the drive pressure line. I used a tiny lawn mower fuel filter for it and it got clogged pretty quick and effected the response time of the valve. So right now I have no filter in it. Really not that bad. I just have to take the valve apart about once a year to clean.

Another fine tuning adjustment I had to make was to put a one-way check valve in the 'boost reference' line going into the BOV. This helped keep the valve open longer since there is a lot more air in a diesel charge air system vs typical gasoline. Also, I tapped into the wastegate line which is on the complete other side of the charged air system. This I believe helped keep the valve open just slightly longer as it would see a longer boost signal with the valve open due to the air having to move through the intercooler to the other side where the BOV was.

The spring and the check valve will be the biggest variable in how long the valve stays open and what conditions it opens. I noticed with mine if I go full boost and chop the throttle then instantly get on it again, sometimes the valve will stay open a bit longer. But I never really do that so its fine. ZF6 trucks may need to fine tune a bit more.

Oh yea, don't use clear water hose like I did. It tends to melt when your towing a camper over the Rocky Mountains haha.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Hell yea! Now I've got something to ponder about. I might try to build one some day.

Ps.. Your professional diagram was a 10 out of 10 lol

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Well thanks haha. And that diagram is copyrighted!!

I'll try to get a video of it working now. Also, if you run horrible defueling it will make your automatic sound just like a manual haha.

Last edited:

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Has anybody found the link that Super Diesel said he posted on the drive pressure build up? I suppose it would be mostly the same as this one here.

I am wondering if anyone has used a BOV without a spring in it though, like Super Diesel wrote about with the valve working solely off drive pressure. If so, how does it act with DD around town and such?

The reason I am asking is because I drive a hot tune 100% of the time and I can bark the turbo (not loudly, but noticeably) even at lower boost psi. So what I am getting at is it would likely get annoying to hear the bov pop off every time I let off the throttle, even at low boost psi. Is that the case WITH a spring as well? Or, how much can the spring help with tuning the bov?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Has anybody found the link that Super Diesel said he posted on the drive pressure build up? I suppose it would be mostly the same as this one here.

I am wondering if anyone has used a BOV without a spring in it though, like Super Diesel wrote about with the valve working solely off drive pressure. If so, how does it act with DD around town and such?

The reason I am asking is because I drive a hot tune 100% of the time and I can bark the turbo (not loudly, but noticeably) even at lower boost psi. So what I am getting at is it would likely get annoying to hear the bov pop off every time I let off the throttle, even at low boost psi. Is that the case WITH a spring as well? Or, how much can the spring help with tuning the bov?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could use a spring, but it would need to be very light and would delay the response of the valve opening. Keep in mind, your setup may require a spring. It is going to vary with your setup. If you look at the link to CompD I posted in that link, I believe it was Engineered Diesel who said they offer a BOV on their website. There is also some good info in that thread.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
check these out:

Overview
Inches: 9" x 4" x 4" Cm: 22.86 x 10.16 x 10.16
Description

Universal Synchronic BOV package – SB001A is the iconic Synchronic
BOV that has set the standard for impossibly fast response from a BOV/DV.
Completely modular, it can be installed as a vent-to-atmosphere BOV or
re-circulating diverter valve. This universal package can be outfitted to
most any application utilizing our interchangeable mounting flange system.

By design, it is a pull-type valve only. This means that boost pressure keeps
it closed, meaning no boost leaks upwards of 100+ psi of boost. It operates
in a normally open condition. This means that it is designed to remain open
under vacuum conditions. For maximum performance and reliability, it is
recommended to install the Synchronic BOV in a re-circulated configuration
with the discharge between the MAF sensor and turbocharger inlet.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
You could use a spring, but it would need to be very light and would delay the response of the valve opening. Keep in mind, your setup may require a spring. It is going to vary with your setup. If you look at the link to CompD I posted in that link, I believe it was Engineered Diesel who said they offer a BOV on their website. There is also some good info in that thread.

ya, Josh, I read that one as well and appreciate the info. I looked on ED website and couldn't find one, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Their site is a bit confusing to navigate through. But just as Engineered Diesel reported on the compd thread, it can basically be tuned with the spring. I am just wondering how these bov act under normal drive conditions with a hot stock turbo tune. It is probably a redundant question to be asking, but do they pop off frequently? Just can't get past the idea of every time I let off the pedal this thing popping off. I suppose this would be one advantage of having the TPS one that Super Diesel originally had on his truck, or the one that BD offers. Ain't no way I am forking over $600 for one though. :spit:

Is it true that the spring only tunes the delay of the valve opening, as opposed to a "boost/dp reference"?