Why no blowoff valves?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I had the same issue when I first installed my valve. I believe it was the characteristic of the valve itself. If you listen to the valves on certain turbocharged gasser engines or 'ricers' they would flutter roughly the same way. Where are you getting your boost reference from? My valve originally got the boost reference right where the valve was mounted to the charged air pipe. (You can see where I plugged it off in one of my pics)

My theory on this is when the valve would open there would be a sudden loss of pressure right at the boost reference point, causing the valve to shut again. Once the valve shuts it would build boost back up in the reference line and cause it to open again. This would all happen really fast which in turn would cause the flutter. How I solved this and sorta proved my theory, was to get a boost reference signal from the other side of the charged air system. Basically as far away from the blow off valve as possible. This way when the valve opened there would still be a boost reference signal in the valve due the charge air having to flow through the intercooler.

One last piece of the puzzle that helped my valve out drastically, was installing a one-way check valve in the boost reference line. When I would let off this valve would keep a boost signal present longer in the valve, therefor keeping it open longer and working a lot more smoothly. The valve was a little worn so I may have only needed it for my setup, but like I said it takes a lot of tuning depending on what valve is used.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
A wastegate and blow off valve are two completely different components. A wastegate has nothing to do with this blow off valve setup.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Only Miatas, Civics, and New VW Bugs should have BOV's.

It's bad enough to have people SEE you're batting for the other team, they don't have to HEAR it... :D

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with BOV on a diesel, but it's just one more thing that can go wrong or leak. I remember putting on an emergency guillotine on my truck, and it failed at the drags.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
But have you seen the high school girls those badass cars pick up?!?! :roflmao:

I will admit I slacked on keeping my valve clean and it started sticking on me. Not a good thing to happen when towing over 11,000ft!

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
I don't even run a BOV on my miata. I just let it stall. It sounds way cooler and rebuild kits for knockoff gt25's are balls cheap if I ever did have a problem

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I'm really not on here touting BOV's on diesel, more so just showing it can be done. I like challenging myself with new theories and ideas and this was one of them I succeeded at.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Oh i know, I love mine! just got back from a 4 day weekend in the mountains. Burned halfway through some brand new brake pads and lost a good bit of rubber but man was it fun!

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
BOV's have there place.

Mine vents to atmosphere on my car, not because it sounds cool, but because I switched my car to Speed Density so there is no negative effects by venting, and it's a simpler setup than running plumbing to recirculate back into the intake.

You also don't here mine until at the end of a run/pull (no lift shifting :D )

I thought they were pretty cool when I was young :rofl: