the freeze

Feb 23, 2010
Wow bet you didn't think I'd get all this when u first posted!!
I may not know that much when it comes tO the dmax but heat x change and airflow I know.
The dmax exchanges heat between almost all fluids and intake air many times over 2 fluid to fluid x xchanges and multiple air to fluid heat exchanges and 1 air to air exchange in the stack and in the stack everything it goes thru the air gets hotter and hotter so there is less heat removed.

Basically with all the heat exchanges if u remove extra heat from a add on air to fluid heat exchanger anywhere outside the stack it will help cool most everything. How much and how efficiently is a whole another big long debate. This may have been covered but I couldn't read all the fighting.

Insulating the intake ducting is even less then a dent in the pond though.
Clean the stack, check for boost leaks, check ur balance rates, have someone double check your tunes ( turbo vane position while towing could cause this), keep the rpms above 1900 while towing and keep your a/c off and recheck your results. A oil temp sensor or gauge is a great idea for someone that tows heavy and hot once u overheat oil pass the temp it breakdown at the oil is junk which can ruin a motor.
I'm not even gonna go into how hot is to hot only way to truly find out is to contact the oil MFG.

It sucks when u buy a supper expensive powerhouse truck like a d max and then tow heavy with it and have to turn off the a/c to keep it cool but it does help.
P.s. Double check the glycol level of your coolant too the higher the level the less efficiently it x changes heat.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I'll get one posted up. It's a full air raid kit with Lbz mp, has the metal box to help seperate hot air, seals against the good tho, probably needs an insulated lid build for it tho..

Should press against the hood and work just fine-just needs to get most of it's air from the front not the engine bay. I would look at the tunes and what the vanes are doing.
if it isn't the tune, get some sort of aux cooler that is not in the stack. I mounted my oil cooler below the stack so the hot air goes under the truck, not into the rest of the stack

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Wow bet you didn't think I'd get all this when u first posted!!
I may not know that much when it comes tO the dmax but heat x change and airflow I know.
The dmax exchanges heat between almost all fluids and intake air many times over 2 fluid to fluid x xchanges and multiple air to fluid heat exchanges and 1 air to air exchange in the stack and in the stack everything it goes thru the air gets hotter and hotter so there is less heat removed.

Basically with all the heat exchanges if u remove extra heat from a add on air to fluid heat exchanger anywhere outside the stack it will help cool most everything. How much and how efficiently is a whole another big long debate. This may have been covered but I couldn't read all the fighting.

Insulating the intake ducting is even less then a dent in the pond though.
Clean the stack, check for boost leaks, check ur balance rates, have someone double check your tunes ( turbo vane position while towing could cause this), keep the rpms above 1900 while towing and keep your a/c off and recheck your results. A oil temp sensor or gauge is a great idea for someone that tows heavy and hot once u overheat oil pass the temp it breakdown at the oil is junk which can ruin a motor.
I'm not even gonna go into how hot is to hot only way to truly find out is to contact the oil MFG.

It sucks when u buy a supper expensive powerhouse truck like a d max and then tow heavy with it and have to turn off the a/c to keep it cool but it does help.
P.s. Double check the glycol level of your coolant too the higher the level the less efficiently it x changes heat.
You are right I didn't, but all info helps so it don't bother me.

Should press against the hood and work just fine-just needs to get most of it's air from the front not the engine bay. I would look at the tunes and what the vanes are doing.
if it isn't the tune, get some sort of aux cooler that is not in the stack. I mounted my oil cooler below the stack so the hot air goes under the truck, not into the rest of the stack

I'll have to look into getting a cooler down front as well as probably an aux radiator

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
All i want to know is when are you going to do the free shit (clean out your front stack) LLY's are great tow pigs (not the best duramaxes but not the worst) i have a hand full of personal customers who over tow all the time and have no issues, but then again their trucks are mostly stock with LBZ air cleaner to turbo set-ups. Good luck

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Used ac condenser cleaner to clean the coolers.

All i want to know is when are you going to do the free shit (clean out your front stack) LLY's are great tow pigs (not the best duramaxes but not the worst) i have a hand full of personal customers who over tow all the time and have no issues, but then again their trucks are mostly stock with LBZ air cleaner to turbo set-ups. Good luck

Now granted all I did was soaked it all then power washed from the engine side out while I had the fan/shroud off for the water pump.

Gona pull the I/C out this weekend and get it all cleaned out better

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I would really look into tuning-who knows what is really loaded on there. Get a good tunner tell him what you have going on and have him write you a tune, log it and send the log to them.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I would really look into tuning-who knows what is really loaded on there. Get a good tunner tell him what you have going on and have him write you a tune, log it and send the log to them.

AND completely remove teh edge juice. Don't even use it as a display for guages. If it is hooked up, it can be making changes to ECM inputs.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
AND completely remove teh edge juice. Don't even use it as a display for guages. If it is hooked up, it can be making changes to ECM inputs.

Im gona hook my auto meter gauge up and try a before & after on zero to see what/if any boost/egt changes happen just for fun.
My buddy that works for edge says it don't add timing but I don't know myself & not doubting you guys at all.
Either way come payday I'm getting an insight cts monitor so the juice will be gone for good

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I would wonder what the logs are showing for vane position, if they are too tight for what you need, would explain the high boost and high EGT. and that would lead to higher ECTs after extended times

the freeze

Feb 23, 2010
I was just noticeing you could have your tuner adjust tables G0507, and g0508.
These lockout your A/C when your coolant temp gets so high. Not really a solution to your problems, but good peace of mind if your not payin g attention or someone borrows your truck to pull something.

You clean your stack out yet??? Spltting them apart if the only real good way also I use a Nasty awesome product when I do it its called Foam brite way awesome stuff!!!!!!

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
ive seen in the 10K+ pages ive been skimming through, some people are boxing in and making a "airdamn" but never seen a picture or actually write up on what they did, anyone got any info on this?