cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
Bigger tires alone wont cause you to run 1200 on flat ground with a load even at 7000ft. I NEVER saw egts that high with 37s till id hit a 6% or higher grade hill before twins. That was even with my PPE on lvl

There is something else besides tires/gears causing his issue
There very well could be more to it. But big tires do cause higher EGTs all across the rpm range.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Did oil coolers ever work? I though that was just KB BS. I know chris had a good following with his aux coolant radiator, but don't think he is around anymore.

Efans will defiantly make it worse.

A head wind could have added to the EGTs.

What gear are you running in? If you can drop and gear to get the RPMS up more that should help some.

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
Running that high of EGT is really hard on the engine-and turbos- Suggest you drop down a gear and run about 2300-2800 RPM.. That high of EGT will cause the engine to run hotter and stress the marginal cooling system..

CrewCabMax

Double XL
Apr 23, 2007
Ohio
Are you guys using anything special to clean the outside of the cooler stack? Just a power washer or any kind of solevents? I assume this can only help everyone, no matter the engine.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I didnt use cleaners, just lightly agitate with a nylon brush, rinse, agitate etc. Remember to plastic off vital electrical components, air openings. After you blow through the stack from engine side first, you can spray into the radiator from the front, just dont try to push all that gunk thru the core. I was suprised at how well the water channeled thru the core, but be careful not to damage the fins , some pressure washers can blow right thru your core.

Bransjeep

Feb 18, 2012
Reno, NV
the modded airbox thing applies to the stock box.. i see you have an air-raid..imo they are more like hot air intakes. ilike i stated before, when i tow i have god temps and i have a similar setup truck wise, now i have 35" toyo mt's though. do the basics and report back.

who made you EFI tunes? if there some joe schmoe's tunes dont use them either.

Bransjeep

Feb 18, 2012
Reno, NV
and the heat wrap stuff whas this high temp foam wrap stuff that i found in the plumbing section somehwere.. i will see if i can find what it actually was

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Did oil coolers ever work? I though that was just KB BS. I know chris had a good following with his aux coolant radiator, but don't think he is around anymore.

Efans will defiantly make it worse.

A head wind could have added to the EGTs.

What gear are you running in? If you can drop and gear to get the RPMS up more that should help some.

Running that high of EGT is really hard on the engine-and turbos- Suggest you drop down a gear and run about 2300-2800 RPM.. That high of EGT will cause the engine to run hotter and stress the marginal cooling system..
I tried kicking overdrive off and it didnt help,
Tried keeping egt's in check but when you get Going up a single lane hill with a stack of traffic behind you theirs not much you can do...
the billet grille is not helping anything either
I actually thought about pulling the whole grill & headlight out to see if it would help but didnt.
what are your boost levels usually Trevor?
empty WOT I can get 30+
Towing I was at 20-25psi

and the heat wrap stuff whas this high temp foam wrap stuff that i found in the plumbing section somehwere.. i will see if i can find what it actually was

I'll look into that. What all did you end up wrapping?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
But you're running an LB7. Apples to oranges. LLYs can be very very picky animals. He first needs to flush his cooling system and clean the stack and see if that helps, then add the LBZ inlet. After that, its aux cooler time.

There very well could be more to it. But big tires do cause higher EGTs all across the rpm range.

When your egts are at a consistant 1200+ degrees even with a light load on flat land as per what the op stated, its not the tires that need to be adressed. There is something bigger goin on mechanically or tuning wise that is causing it. I dont care what kind of dmax you got, you should not see an increase of over 400* of exhaust gas temps on flat ground crusing with a light load on the back.

Changing gears/tires/down shifting is bandaiding the underlying issue.

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
When your egts are at a consistant 1200+ degrees even with a light load on flat land as per what the op stated, its not the tires that need to be adressed. There is something bigger goin on mechanically or tuning wise that is causing it. I dont care what kind of dmax you got, you should not see an increase of over 400* of exhaust gas temps on flat ground crusing with a light load on the back.

Changing gears/tires/down shifting is bandaiding the underlying issue.
Due tell what the problem is then.

1953drtelco

Feb 24, 2010
Riverside, CA
Bought my '04.5 LLY close to 6 months ago, very first things I did was
straight piped the 5" that was on it (dealer install, put the cat back in)
Egr blocker plate,
Lbz mp
Air raid CAI
Used ac condenser cleaner to clean the coolers.

Now the first time I towed (35' Toyhauler, empty) didnt over heat but the egts were 1400+ easy with edge juice

2nd was toying our 32' bay liner cabin cruiser/living quarters boat,
Using an EFI mpg tune egts would easily get 1500+,tranny over heated & engine over heated (water pump took a dump)

3rd time, towing the Toyhauler, loaded with 2 quads & 3 bikes+ gear
with both EFI mpg or trying the edge, or even stock tune. egts ran 12 flat,14 on anything over flat ground. coolant temp would easily climb to 226 and set the alert off at anything over 55mpg

What am I missing here??
Do I maybe have a blown head gasket or what is the problem here?

(sent from my phone please bear with spelling/grammar)

Here's a solution to your problem....Install the AUX radiator, and your overheating days are over.......see link below

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371427&highlight=

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I will explain evermything ... Maybe his fan isn't working properly, put a bigger radiator,tuning, lly's are notorious for overheating, bad waterpump, clogged inlet caused by gunk buildup on the y bridge..... Personally I think it's tuning