Question: Who on here has been unhappy with results using Amsoil?

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Made it almost 17,000 miles in 4wd before the Transfer Case and parts of the front diff went out. Where do I send that bill to? Funny thing is the drivers side output shaft and bearing in the front diff went out but the passenger side was ok. I guess that means I must have made more turns one way than the other. WTF?? Anyway, $1500 for a TCase, $400 for the front diff parts that were bad. Drivers side hub also bad. So much for driving 4wd on dry pavement 24-7. Thanks, GM loves your advice.:thumb:

You're an idiot. :thumb: congradulations. :rofl:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Made it almost 17,000 miles in 4wd before the Transfer Case and parts of the front diff went out. Where do I send that bill to? Funny thing is the drivers side output shaft and bearing in the front diff went out but the passenger side was ok. I guess that means I must have made more turns one way than the other. WTF?? Anyway, $1500 for a TCase, $400 for the front diff parts that were bad. Drivers side hub also bad. So much for driving 4wd on dry pavement 24-7. Thanks, GM loves your advice.:thumb:

Well according to earlier posts in this thread made by you, with you running an oil change for 150k you sir are an absolute idiot

DougSmith

Well according to earlier posts in this thread made by you, with you running an oil change for 150k you sir are an absolute idiot

Yea, I know, I got 180,000 miles on this truck, changed the oil 2 times. What a waste of money!! I have no idea what in the hell I was thinking by trying it. My truck runs like it was new, saved close to $1,000 on oil and filters, get 20 MPG on highway in an LBZ:D Yea, who in the hell would have thought that a product actually works despite what many say. Screw me!!

If it wasnt for that bull manure advice from Mike S, I would have had barley any money in repairs so far. A$$HOLE!!

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Yea, I know, I got 180,000 miles on this truck, changed the oil 2 times. What a waste of money!! I have no idea what in the hell I was thinking by trying it. My truck runs like it was new, saved close to $1,000 on oil and filters, get 20 MPG on highway in an LBZ:D Yea, who in the hell would have thought that a product actually works despite what many say. Screw me!!

If it wasnt for that bull manure advice from Mike S, I would have had barley any money in repairs so far. A$$HOLE!!

He never gave advise... He gave his opinion. You see the thing that is so amazing about America is there is a very wide range of climates. Some people have no winter at all and some have 5 months of winter or more in some places. So you se trucks will experience great different variations of conditions. Some truck have to run 4x4 for 5-6 months straight just to commute due to road condition being poor. Like Ben said in the other thread a couple years ago, his location requires his truck to be in 4x4 alot more than mine would ever need to be with me living in KS we have about 3 months of winter, but my truck has spentnearly 3 months in 4x4 due to a hard winter. I know these trucks are engineered for 4 wheel useage.

You have to have the ability to undersatand that advise/opinions will vary for different climate and situations. The perosn reading these forums must have the ability to decide if the given advise/opinion would apply to there truck/climate/conditions/truck. Exsample, many on here run "Twins" i have a single stock charger I have the knowledge and common sence to know I can NOT run there tunes. Also I have a stock trans I know I can't go out and and run a mid 12...

I would never and I mean NEVER even think about running an oil change as log as you have. In my worste most intoxicated frame of mind that would never cross my mind. You are in fact doing the same thing Mike S is doing by telling people you have had no issues running oil that long... Soooo as you fail at life, I fail at seeing your arguement in either topic. Happy St. Patties day go drink some green beer and kill some brain cells, enjoy.

DougSmith

Big Block, um, NO, Mike S clearly stated that running in 4wd on dry pavement would clearly NOT cause premature wear on this 4WD system. No where in his OPINION did he state ANYTHING about JUST on winter snowy conditions. He PERFECTLY stated that it was ok, and that nothing would happen to the system and used the argument that drag racers use 4wd all the time in racing condtions and how that was very abusive and if anyone was to see 4wd wear it would be them. Those racers also do not make turns, or backup into mall parking lots, orr turn around in a driveway.
My total argument that was there is no way in hell that this 4wd system could handle the stresses and heat of driving in 4wd all the time, that is why there is that little button or lever to take it out when NOT needed. Otherwise, they would have put an AWD system with clutches and slipping differentials in it like they do in Yukon Denalis.

As far as oil go, I am a fan of Amsoil, as I am a big time Sprint car fan and when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s and was walking around pit areas of race tracks, most of those drviers used Amsoil Rear End lube exclusively, and there were NO Amsoil advertisements anywhere to be seen. Upon asking about why they were using something no one had heard of, they simply replied they only used the best stuff when so much was on the line. Amsoil was not paying any of them to run it, so I guess all those years with no fear end issues, they all got lucky?? Most of them still use it today. So some guys on here, with many years of experience and the absolute EXPERT opinions they have get on here or any board and bash a product for no good reason other then their selling scheme and pushy dealers, but yet no one has ever proven the oil to be bad??? I mean even the testing results I have seen by independent labs are splitting hairs on what is the nest and even the worst oil out there is better than manufacturer specs. So What gives?? I dont bash Shaffer, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, none of them. I have only bashed MONSTER DIESEL additives because of their better than sliced bread, "HANDS DOWN" because Paul Sr, said so marketing scheme. Amsoil never promoted their product as anywhere near this. Some dealers do, but none of Amsoils mnarketing is out of this world type of deal.

One of my best friends in racing is a Scaeffer oil dealer, never used the stuff, but I know it is good stuff. I prefer what I use for now, and so far, it is doing perfectly.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Show me where I said, anywhere in this thread, anything that you have stated that i said.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282820

There are some pretty interesting accusations about the lawyer he got involved, and how he was coming after me and Ben for forcing him to ruin his perfectly good truck...oddly enough, I still haven't heard anything from that lawyer. :D

I believe, that the point was made over and over again in that thread, that if you use common sense, your 4WD wont break. If you cant tell that you're in 4WD when you're trying to parallel park or the like, then you don't belong in a 4WD truck IMO.

Have a nice day Nutsac! :roflmao:

Dec 2, 2006
TN
180,000 and 2 oil changes. Wow...

Make sure you tell a potential buyer that when you get ready to sell it, let us know what he says.

DougSmith

180,000 and 2 oil changes. Wow...

Make sure you tell a potential buyer that when you get ready to sell it, let us know what he says.

There wont be any potential buyer. I will let you know when I am done with it in a few more years.

Why is it that these guys like to call people names, and talk down to them all the time?? Woud someone please answer me this?? You would think that the would show some respect for themselves.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There wont be any potential buyer. I will let you know when I am done with it in a few more years.

Why is it that these guys like to call people names, and talk down to them all the time?? Woud someone please answer me this?? You would think that the would show some respect for themselves.

So you are innocent of calling people names? I personaly don't think your engine would have gone that long with the oil changes you describe. I will call you a liar.IMHO if you actualy did this you are a moron and pretty f---ed in the head.You need help.I would also assume you are gay and a freeken liberal.I would also assume you bathe once a week wether you think you need it or not.
I must admit you do bring some comedy here and I feel like I'm sitting on a porch watching a dog lick his nuts. :D

Bammer

Feb 19, 2010
So you are innocent of calling people names? I personaly don't think your engine would have gone that long with the oil changes you describe. I will call you a liar.IMHO if you actualy did this you are a moron and pretty f---ed in the head.You need help.I would also assume you are gay and a freeken liberal.I would also assume you bathe once a week wether you think you need it or not.
I must admit you do bring some comedy here and I feel like I'm sitting on a porch watching a dog lick his nuts. :D

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

radix7508

Apr 13, 2011
Ha, this is funny. I'm not an ex telemarketer and am fully employed. I don't push Amsoil on anyone. In fact I had a bad experience with Amsoil myself with a gas engine. I ran a brand new car on Amsoil after the first two oil changes on it till 145k. When I got rid of the car it was getting 50 miles per quart oil burn on a good day even though the compression on all cylinders was within spec. I think the oil scraper rings bound up because I followed the Amsoil recommendation. Well, since then I still use it, but I run the oil system cleaner every other oil change, and I always change the oil when the oil life monitor says its time to go. Logically, with an LLM motor, the oil is going to break down so with this truck I will be changing the oil when the computer says so.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
The amsoil gods rule duramax forum. Its quite the comedy to hear them talk about it 24/7. in 2 years of hearing them, al Ive gathered is : If you dont run it, you should, It's better than any other oil, so run it, and If you actually run it, you can save 13% by being set up as a dealer! :roflmao: I'll stick to running my Proven Canadian diesel oil and 2500-3k mile oil changes. I dont think 500rwhp has the same effects on oil as stock HP...

radix7508

Apr 13, 2011
logically you can stop the cylinder wash down by eliminateing your need to regen... Your motor will thank you

True dat but it's still under warranty and I don't want anyone to deny a warranty claim for any reason until my warranty is in fact expired. I understand the dealers are pretty vigilant about screwing people over, so I kind of need to wait on the DPF delete. :eek:)

radix7508

Apr 13, 2011

I"m truly surprised that you got that much use out of your oil. I tried folllowing the AMSOIL 35k oil plan, just changing the filter every 12k miles and I got oil rings that seized up. Even the AMSOIL burned off at rate of 50 miles per quart or less in its final years of my owning that vehicle I truly don't trust the super extended intervals AMSOIL touts, however I do still think its a good oil, just not to run forever because I now believe that oil just doesn't last forever no matter what the manufacturer claims.

radix7508

Apr 13, 2011
I was doing some Googling and came upon this little gem: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf

Note the top 6 and bottom 4, particularly what grade they are. CJ-4 oils look to be pretty weak. You can thank DPF's for this.

Also note where the 2 Amsoil products rank :D

OK Amsoil fanbois, commence screeching :poop:
LOL, fanbois.... Yes I read the article and it was enlightening. I was on the AMSOIL site last week researching CJ-4 oil and their recommendation was to change it at the manufacturers intervals. And so guess what? This AMSOIL fanboi sees a bit more sense in just using dino oil and saving the money I wouldn't spend on oil, on something else!

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
My truck ran amsoil since new, has 260 000 miles (410 000km) I put ARP headstuds and gaskets, so took heads off. It still has crosshatch inside the cylinders. Still has zero blowby. like...none at all. I've not had any issue, I change it every years, about 30 000km. :confused: