Question: Who on here has been unhappy with results using Amsoil?

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
I had been running amsoil 15W/40 engine oil in my LB7 for the past 30K miles or so. I had noted lower oil pressure, but chalked it up to being the better flow characteristics of a synthetic oil, that was until i noted it continuing to fall over the past months. Now, upon disasembly of the engine, I find that all of the main bearings have been trashed, and the rod bearings beginning to flake.

My question is, who uses/has used Amsoil, and were you satisfied with the result? Don't get me wrong, they make a killer product, and this is the first trouble I have had with them, but it brings about serious doubt in my mind as to weather or not I will continue using their product...

If you used Amsoil and were dissatisfied, what did you switch to?

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Interesting this thread came up, I just switched back to Rotella 15W40 tripple T and my motor is running so much quiter and smoother than it was with Amsoils synthetic. I don't believe I see the need to spend the extra money for that crap.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I have used Mobil 1 and Amsoil both in my duramax and just recently switched back to Rotella 15w-40 for the fact that you can't get better protection for the price. I had been running my oil change intervals at 10000 miles with the synthetics (changing the filter at 5000 and oil/filter at 10000). It is more cost effective for me to use Rotella and change oil/filter at every 5000 miles. I know it works and I don't have the added stress of pushing my oil changes. Its a price and comfort level for me.

By the way, on the LMM, what is considered low pressure at idle and say 2000 rpm???

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Thats all i run, no issue's, Trashed bearings How? Flaking is not oil related, nore is debris issue's....Sounds like the engine has other issue's.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
I have ran amsoil, mobil 1 and redline. I like redline the best and change it every 15-20k.
how much has the psi decreased?

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
I just built a transmission that had amsoil ran in it. When I pulled off the pan it looked like I was looking at the bottom end of a diesel engine. Extremely black. The clutches were excellent no burn marks or anything. It had 70k on it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
but all 2 billion amsoil dealers swear by it and plaster it up all over the web like a never-ending infomercial....I thought that meant it was good? :D

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I have ran amsoil 15w/40 hd marine synthetic for about 23,000 I change every 5,000 miles. You guys that actually listen too how your engines sound between different oils LOL

Dec 2, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
I run Valvoline Premium blue in all my diesel trucks. I wait until Oreilly has a good sale on it and buy 10 cases or so. I change it every 5k. There is no point in running a synthetic if you change it every 5k.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
I ran it for awhile... I was always pushing oil past my turbos when running all out. there would be a ton of oil in the boost tubes. Switched back to good ol 50 plus JD and don't have that problem anymore:dontknow:

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
I run Valvoline Premium blue in all my diesel trucks. I wait until Oreilly has a good sale on it and buy 10 cases or so. I change it every 5k. There is no point in running a synthetic if you change it every 5k.

good to hear im not the only anal one who changes their air filter/fuel/tranny spin on and oil every 5k!

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
ive been running delo400 for 135k with 6k intervals. nevr had a problem . construction company i worked for a while back used it in everything and swore by it( plus its cheap) so i gave it a try a never looked back. i use mobil 1 oil filters

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Never had any problems running amsoil in any other toys so it's all that's been in the truck for almost 30000 hard miles and all is well.I change it every 5000 miles.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
ive been running delo400 for 135k with 6k intervals. nevr had a problem . construction company i worked for a while back used it in everything and swore by it( plus its cheap) so i gave it a try a never looked back. i use mobil 1 oil filters

Same in this LBZ and it has syn. based formula that works nice in our cold climate. Price is the clincher for Mobil 1 formulation SG/etc. I run the K&N oil filter with anti drainback valve just might help on starts.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I have ran amsoil 15w/40 hd marine synthetic for about 23,000 I change every 5,000 miles. You guys that actually listen too how your engines sound between different oils LOL

WTF is wrong with that??? If I hear my motor is quiter not just a little quiter but much quiter less clatter and rattle, and runs smoother, I don't see how that should not matter. I use all synthetic in my gas motors, but it doesn't ssem that my diesel cares much for it.

DougSmith

I am not going to get into an argument on this subject, because of duratothemax and his sacasm about the people who push Amsoil, and not about the oil itself.

I have run the Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 in both of my duramaxes since 2003 and also the BMK-17 bypass system on both as well. I just upgraded my 06 with the new design bypass as my old one, well, it seen too many rocks and salt and the fittings were beat up and starting to leak, but at almost 8 years old, not to bad considering it had 350,000 miles on that.

I have not had any oil related issues and had at one point went 100,000 miles without removing the oil pan drain plug, just did an oil analysis at 15,000 mile intervals, and when the results came back all good to go and reuse oil, I changed the bypass filters and filled them up with fresh oil, and then repeat. I never had an oil analysis come back that was not great. I just rolled over 175,000 miles on my 06 this weekend in the snowstorm in Buffalo, and it still runs better than the day I bought it.

I did chicken out last summer and did a full oil change because I was sure that the oil was going to be wore out, but when I sent the sample in, it came back all normal and I wasted $150 on new oil and analysis.

so even for all the nay sayers about Amsoil, that is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinions about anything, I just wish that people would be more respectful of what some people have to say, and to not make things so personal. Amsoil makes a great product and if the recomendations are followed, the stuff will perform better than you expect it to. It will also save BIG bucks on changing oil that could be better spent on other things for the truck, like better shocks, EFI live, exhaust upgrades, new headlights, whatever.

But until someone steps up and proves that I wasted money or that I was hurting my truck for not changing the oil every 5,000 miles and lining Shells's pockets even more just because they say so, or whatever, I will continue to save moey every 5,000 miles and know 100% for sure that the oils I chose to buy from Amsoil are second to none, and they are also helping to fund my new toy purchase from the money I saved.

Thanks and I approve this message.