Which main/rod bearings?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Subscribing. Interesting topic! ;)

How is the extra clearance achieved? Main bore larger? Crank mains honed slightly smaller? Or what? Guessing extra material taken out of caps & block for more clearance? So are the bearings a slightly larger diam?

Henry's comment about them, H & HX, being the same is throwing me a bit. Just want to understand. :)

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
He meant that the H and HX bearings are the same bearing other than the HX being a bearing with extra clearance built into it. They both are hardened bearing. Bearing clearances can be influenced by the line hone diameters being varied or using X type bearings or through the polishing process of the crank etc...

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
Mine has the hx series in it. The standards didn't have quite enough clearance for my liking. So if anyone wants some h series main and rod bearings that I had coated for cheap let me know

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
I will have to look at my notes

I would sell the rods and mains for $600 shipped almost half of that is to cover the coating

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
James theres a company out of Houston i believe they are called polymer Dynamics that does the main and rod bearing coating .I have a friend from Ok that is down there rite shooting a video of it for you tube and they are GIVING him 2 complete motor rebuild kit forged pistons and so on but they showed a cummins bearing that had 300k on it and it was trashed and they showed a coated bearing with 1 million miles on it that was like new.I had my pistons coated but didnt realize they did the bearing also or i would have had mine done.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDieselStop

DIGGLER

Feb 6, 2011
SC
James theres a company out of Houston i believe they are called polymer Dynamics that does the main and rod bearing coating .I have a friend from Ok that is down there rite shooting a video of it for you tube and they are GIVING him 2 complete motor rebuild kit forged pistons and so on but they showed a cummins bearing that had 300k on it and it was trashed and they showed a coated bearing with 1 million miles on it that was like new.I had my pistons coated but didnt realize they did the bearing also or i would have had mine done.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDieselStop
i can show you some 255k mile dmax bearings that look brand new... matter of fact, i have 2 other blocks with unknown mileage that have great looking bearings in them. imo, if you have the clearances right for what oil/load you will be running, the crank should never touch the bearings and cause wear/damage. if you will be making big power, you will need more clearance and a heavier oil.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
i can show you some 255k mile dmax bearings that look brand new... matter of fact, i have 2 other blocks with unknown mileage that have great looking bearings in them. imo, if you have the clearances right for what oil/load you will be running, the crank should never touch the bearings and cause wear/damage. if you will be making big power, you will need more clearance and a heavier oil.
I totally agree but if the coating is a good thing it doesnt hurt to go that extra mile either. IMO

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I have been running the P series in mine since rebuild @ 30,500 miles and now I'm at 84,500 in 3 years. I just always keep clean oil in the old girl change it around 3,500 no more then 4,000 miles with Mobile Delvac 1300 series 15-40.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Delvac is great oil. Probably one of the best oils on the market, and definitely the best in the mainstream market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that your opinion or do you have some supporting info that shows/says that? Just wondering.

I'll be running schaeffers oil in mine. Whichever kind they recommend. :)