What pistons for build.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
If I get 50k miles out of my engine I will be pleased. She's knocking on the door of 7000 already. Driving it to Vegas next weekend :D

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
IMO They are a great product and are holding up well under significant abuse.

Nothing for these trucks is cheap.

Face it, I had to almost give them away to get people to use them. That time has come and gone.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
IMO They are a great product and are holding up well under significant abuse.

Nothing for these trucks is cheap.

Face it, I had to almost give them away to get people to use them. That time has come and gone.

I've got nothing against your pistons. I think it's awesome what you did going outside the box and designing an oval bowl in the piston.

That being said it's a little bit of a bummer seeing them jump in price by 300-400. I'd love to have a set and I'm sure many others would love to as well.

For my goals I feel they are not needed at this time. If i ever win the lottery :D or just get a better job. I'll be sure to use these in one of my builds.

country lbz

Feb 28, 2013
Indiana
100% agreed with above post. I understand nothing high quality comes free. With that being said, the price of the parts for diesel performance is flat out ridiculous. As long as people continue to support the high prices then they will stay just that "high". I had 60% of the parts bought to build my Lbz bottom end. I'm greatly considering selling all parts and getting out of the diesel game. As for the whining I've done, I apologize fingers pistons are nice and a work of art I'm just simply not paying 2300 for pistons.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Diesel performance parts aint cheap. Priced a good set of rods? You might not need stage 2 heads, but rods and pistons are a must. In my opinion for 8-900 hp build skip the heads, lits of guys making power with stock heads. My valve springs and rockerarm studs are upgraded but thats all.

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
I agree with harbin, yea diesel performance is expensive but that's just how it is. It's not a mass produced performance part like a sbc in the 90s or the ls parts now. Yea the sport is growing but until it reaches levels way beyond what it is now prices won't be changing much. Build within your budget and play within your means

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Word. Especially when its a better product. :thumb:

Like I've said I've got nothing against fingers piston. Seems like a great design that has proven itself worthy of the price. For what I'm after they are not needed in my build.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
If you ever go bigger and want more power they'll be in there and you won't have to worry about them!

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
If you ever go bigger and want more power they'll be in there and you won't have to worry about them!

Id prolly put em in mine...peace of mind plus I could say hey guys look at these bad larrys! if I ever get there I think they would match well with some carrillos. yes prices are high but cmon we drive diesels and pay how much a gallon? figure your fuel costs for a year or insurance on it for a year and then you can put it into perspective that really this shit aint that bad

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
That's cool. I just don't wanna see you regret it. When I built my 496 gas stroker motor I was 18 and let somebody influence my decision on the way I went with the build. 4 years later I am still unhappy that i listened and just didn't do what I had wanted to do. Just my .02 good luck with the build!

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
I didn't start this thread to bash on a product. Just asked what was needed to meet my goal of 850-900hp.

I can get mahle cast for $1600. Mahle forged for $2100 (which isn't an option since it'll see road time and possibly some winter driving too) or fingers pistons for $2150.

If I decide to switch to a stg 1 cam (which I'm considering since I won't need valve reliefs) I can also use stock delipped pistons.

Whichever I choose is my decision in the end and I'll be responsible for any risks I take in MY build.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
That's cool. I just don't wanna see you regret it. When I built my 496 gas stroker motor I was 18 and let somebody influence my decision on the way I went with the build. 4 years later I am still unhappy that i listened and just didn't do what I had wanted to do. Just my .02 good luck with the build!

I'm sure we all regret how much money we put into these trucks at one point. Knowing will never get it back :D

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Its not so much about getting it back its more or less that trying to make a CC/SB go 10's or 9's is stupid lol. I've thought long and hard about going faster in my truck and it doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to spend 12,000$ to go from 11.8 to 11.5? Hell no that's dumb. If I had it to do all over again I would have built the trans and called it a day and bought a regular cab and done the cheapest budget build and ran 10's no problem.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Its not so much about getting it back its more or less that trying to make a CC/SB go 10's or 9's is stupid lol. I've thought long and hard about going faster in my truck and it doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to spend 12,000$ to go from 11.8 to 11.5? Hell no that's dumb. If I had it to do all over again I would have built the trans and called it a day and bought a regular cab and done the cheapest budget build and ran 10's no problem.

I woulda bought an LS equipped vehicle and spent the same to run 9's lol

We are all morons for hot rodding 7000lb trucks lol