What pistons for build.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
If you want 850rwhp and stock heads/cam will support that why get anything different? Lol

that's true but I already have stage 1 socal heads. so if a stock profile cam and stage 2 cam are the same price. why not get the stage 2. with the higher stall ill be using. im pretty sure itll be a lethal combination :thumb:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Any cast piston except the oval bowls from Jon fail at different power levels and are not reliable in big HP motors. There is a difference in a competition truck that doesn't see miles and a driver / competition truck that pulls loads and does it all. I had them fail at 700 HP. Power is just a number that we are trying to relate failures to but the picture us much bigger. Unless you want to go back into the engine for a cracked piston make good decisions and purchase parts that are capable if sustaining your HP goals.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
I wanted to run stock piston but seeing that I need reliefs put in the pistons. it'll just make them weaker.

Id love to run fingers pistons but I can't find them any cheaper than $2100. If I'm spending that much on pistons I'm going forged. I messaged fingers and he told me to get them threw his suppliers.

I'm just going to run a mahle cast with reliefs which will be a 16.5:1 CR. They should get the job done for what I'm after.

That blows. Last I knew they were around $1800. It was realistic then. :(

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I have around 30,000 miles on the Mahle race cast w/ reliefs. 16.8:1. The truck has been close to 700rwhp for the entire time. Probably has 40 passes on it. It's not big power but they do take some abuse since it's still a work truck and tows.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
That blows. Last I knew they were around $1800. It was realistic then. :(

As far as I know The cost on pistons went up across the board last summer, Jon warned me this would happen and I was unable to capitalize on the lower cost at the time

Yes, a set of standard MAHLE race cast pistons can be had for 1600 give or take, but, Considering a set of cut and coated cast pistons from SoCal is 2300 and a set of forged is 2600, 2100-2200 for the oval bowls doesn't seem too far off when you take into account you're getting a truly custom set of pistons

When you look at the benefits of the product, $300 dollars additional cost doesn't seem outrageous from my point of view, and hardly makes a product unrealistic to use, just puts it another month out to purchase...:hug:

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
As far as I know The cost on pistons went up across the board last summer, Jon warned me this would happen and I was unable to capitalize on the lower cost at the time

Yes, a set of standard MAHLE race cast pistons can be had for 1600 give or take, but, Considering a set of cut and coated cast pistons from SoCal is 2300 and a set of forged is 2600, 2100-2200 for the oval bowls doesn't seem too far off when you take into account you're getting a truly custom set of pistons

When you look at the benefits of the product, $300 dollars additional cost doesn't seem outrageous from my point of view, and hardly makes a product unrealistic to use, just puts it another month out to purchase...:hug:

$2150-$1600=$550.

Also, most of us have at least one set of lb7 pistons at home on the workbench. It takes a helluva lot less than $2300 to delip them. The $2300 pistons mentioned above are not an attractive alternative in my opinion.

Edit: Source: http://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-1490...bowl-duramax-diesel-cast-race-piston-set.html

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
When did the price go up? I just payed the same price I did when he started making them 2 months ago.

No clue I had a few guys tell me fingers quoted them 1700-1800 a year ago. I messaged him and he told me to get it from his suppliers. Dhd is the only site I found them on. He wants 2150 for them. I haven't called mark or SoCal yet for a price but I'm not paying that for them.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
No clue I had a few guys tell me fingers quoted them 1700-1800 a year ago. I messaged him and he told me to get it from his suppliers. Dhd is the only site I found them on. He wants 2150 for them. I haven't called mark or SoCal yet for a price but I'm not paying that for them.

I wouldn't pay that either.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
$2150-$1600=$550.

Also, most of us have at least one set of lb7 pistons at home on the workbench. It takes a helluva lot less than $2300 to delip them. The $2300 pistons mentioned above are not an attractive alternative in my opinion.

Edit: Source: http://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-1490...bowl-duramax-diesel-cast-race-piston-set.html

They were 1800 and went up to 2100 the difference is 300;)

I'm happy to pay a lil more for better parts:cool2:

And as I mentioned before, the price increase was forewarned by Jon, for whatever reasons, it is what it is....

By your guys logic, we should still be able to buy a brand new Chevrolet sedan for $2300 out the door....srsly

Last edited:

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
They were 1800 and went up to 2100 the difference is 300;)

I'm happy to pay a lil more for better parts:cool2:

And as I mentioned before, the price increase was forewarned by Jon, for whatever reasons, it is what it is....

By your guys logic, we should still be able to buy a brand new Chevrolet sedan for $2300 out the door....srsly

But for that price why not just buy forged. That's what were getting at. The truck will barely be driven. No point in paying $2100 for a cast piston when I can get a stronger forged piston for cheaper.

I understand for some people it's worth it. But for my goals and budget it's not worth it IMO.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
But for that price why not just buy forged. That's what were getting at. The truck will barely be driven. No point in paying $2100 for a cast piston when I can get a stronger forged piston for cheaper.

I understand for some people it's worth it. But for my goals and budget it's not worth it IMO.

X2 I had no idea the price jumped. Last time I was quoted it was $1800 for a 17:1 ratio piston no valve reliefs cut in it. Agreed, you might as well do forged pistons for that price.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012

Don't get me wrong here, I see what y'all are saying, and I get it:angel:
And I understand to some, paying the extra coin is not worth it:D

Actually, I agree with you to a point , especially for a situation like yours and the use you're planning for your rig.
For you, your build and the miles you'll drive it, there isn't a reason to spend that kind of money on a cast set, however worked or custom they are, and I'm not trying to sway your build in any sort of way. ;)
I've read about plenty of guys having really good results with cut and coated and de lipped LB7 slugs, and that's awesome (for them) but I also read about many guys running @ or near 700whp on factory LBZ builds, and I wasn't so lucky:eek:
:angel:

For me though, and my needs, or anyone going for a significant power goal and still daily driving the truck, I really feel like the race cast oval bowls are a great choice, they offer added strength to the standard race cast piston (security) and the longevity of a cast piston, sure they cost more than a standard set, as they should :), the oval bowl pistons are holding up very well under extreme conditions and still offer that all important life span that the forged pistons don't typically offer.

Running a set of forged pistons requires a disciplined and knowledgeable mindset, and some ideal weather conditions to reach the higher miles, and for a guy wanting to leave it alone as long as humanly possible, that's not an ideal choice, and maybe I just don't know where to look, but I haven't seen a set of FORGED pistons for less than what Jon is asking for the ovals. So as far as I know, forged cost more too..

Heck man, to each their own, I wish you the best and hope you have great success and meet all your goals for overall cost, power and longevity:hug:

Last edited:

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Don't get me wrong here, I see what y'all are saying, and I get it:angel:
And I understand to some, paying the extra coin is not worth it:D

Actually, I agree with you to a point , especially for a situation like yours and the use you're planning for your rig.
For you, your build and the miles you'll drive it, there isn't a reason to spend that kind of money on a cast set, however worked or custom they are, and I'm not trying to sway your build in any sort of way. ;)
I've read about plenty of guys having really good results with cut and coated and de lipped LB7 slugs, and that's awesome (for them) but I also read about many guys running @ or near 700whp on factory LBZ builds, and I wasn't so lucky:eek:
:angel:

For me though, and my needs, or anyone going for a significant power goal and still daily driving the truck, I really feel like the race cast oval bowls are a great choice, they offer added strength to the standard race cast piston (security) and the longevity of a cast piston, sure they cost more than a standard set, as they should :), the oval bowl pistons are holding up very well under extreme conditions and still offer that all important life span that the forged pistons don't typically offer.

Running a set of forged pistons requires a disciplined and knowledgeable mindset, and some ideal weather conditions to reach the higher miles, and for a guy wanting to leave it alone as long as humanly possible, that's not an ideal choice, and maybe I just don't know where to look, but I haven't seen a set of FORGED pistons for less than what Jon is asking for the ovals. So as far as I know, forged cost more too..

Heck man, to each their own, I wish you the best and hope you have great success and meet all your goals for overall cost, power and longevity:hug:

Yea to each their own for their own builds. IMO when I think of a built motor rarely do you hear of them lasting as long as a stock motor (300k+ miles) because of the added stress and power level. And if your running forged odds are you'll break something before having to worry about replacing piston rings if your using the pistons to their full potential.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Yea to each their own for their own builds. IMO when I think of a built motor rarely do you hear of them lasting as long as a stock motor (300k+ miles) because of the added stress and power level. And if your running forged odds are you'll break something before having to worry about replacing piston rings if your using the pistons to their full potential.

True, true...
I just hope my build last more than 80k
Chit, I hope it lasts 150k :roflmao:
If it does, it'll be 15 years before I have to dig into the engine again:rolleyes:

By then, my wife will have forgiven me and forgot about it, and I just might be able to afford it again....:D

:rofl: