What Grease for Fuel Filter O-ring

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I just smear motor oil on them. Been doing it for 10 years with zero problems. Seem like guys are over complicating this lol

Agreed, I've dumped almost 3 gallons of used motor oil in my fuel tank one time and had no I'll effect. Pushed the old low fuel light a little to far in the middle of nowhere :rofl: I think it's safe to say you could use anything from K.Y. lotion to bacon fat to lube that o ring and the amount used is so minuscule and diluted the system won't know the difference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Thanks for the input guys. I had time the other day to put the new filter on. Used a small amount of Vaseline on the o-rings and used the two stroke oil on the inner seal. Everything stayed on and sealed up nice.

I wasn't trying to over complicate this. I don't have time to deal with the o-ring coming off during assembly (limited time with two boys). I didn't think diesel fuel would help keep it in place so I wanted to try something else but not damage the o-ring itself and cause an issue later down the road (before I changed the filter again). Maybe I'll try to use the two stroke oil on the o-rings next time.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I have been using Vaseline or petroleum jelly for 10 years on my 2004. Have a friend that worked for an industrial valve company and the only thing they used on air actuators on the ROUND viton o-rings for assembly was Johnson and Johnson vaseline. After 1,000,000 cycles (yes 1 million) the o-rings were still holding, several had actually become flat on the sealing surface after that many cycles. Petroleum jelly is a petroleum distillate and dissolves in petroleum products. Any excess will simply be absorbed into the fuel.

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
This is why I hate posting on forums... Somehow the group think is powerful enough to overshadow facts.

Yes Vaseline is pure petroleum jelly, but a lot of manufacturers have other ingredients as well. If you get pure petroleum jelly it's fine.

As for my original point I wasn't saying it will "clog" the injectors. The FACT is that Diesel engines were originally designed to run on anything that will spray from the injectors and burn at the conditions inside the cylinders. They were a huge benefit back in the first days of automobiles where gas quality could vary wildly from one location to another, and they obviously have huge military benefits as you can just burn fuel from wherever you are. The problem isn't that your diesel can't inject used oil successfully or that it won't run on used oil, the problem is in the chemistry of what happens inside your cylinders. Modern oils, especially those like HDEOs and gear lubes that have longer use able life cycles contain additives like sulfated ash which DO NOT COMBUST and instead react with other combustion by products. If those molecules do not burn into a neat clean water vapor and flow out of the exhaust, where do they go? The answer is that some of the molecules stick around and coke up your whole upper cylinder area to include valves and the injector tips where they're actually exposed in the cylinder. Obviously the concentration of these additives vary with different oils. Anyone wonder why we have CJ-4 oils now when the CI-4+ oils seemed better? CJ-4 reformulation restricted the allowable content of ash and other non combustible additives because the little insignificant amount that sneaks past your piston rings or in through your wearing turbo bearings and burns in your cylinders releases enough non combustible by products to plug a DPF up fast enough that everyone would end up having them replaced under warranty. They reformulated oil for weaker additive packages and shorter life spans to ensure everything reaching the cylinder is burnable. These are FACTS.

Does oil inject and burn in a diesel? Yes. It actually lubricates the injection pump and injectors better on the way in too. Does that mean it's a good idea? Not on any engine you want to last forever.

I burn a little oil in an old 6.2 that I wish would die so I could justify a swap, I don't put it in my $3,000 per injector set modern super diesel engineered for ULSD.

Try burning some clean motor oil sometime and see what's left behind.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I really appreciate your comments Magnus. You've mentioned some things that I didn't know or would have thought of. I know what I was asking was very simplistic but if this information helps one other person, it was well worth it. You have a lot of insight regrading oils and lubricants and I hope you will continue to share that with us.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
This is why I hate posting on forums... Somehow the group think is powerful enough to overshadow facts.

Yes Vaseline is pure petroleum jelly, but a lot of manufacturers have other ingredients as well. If you get pure petroleum jelly it's fine.

As for my original point I wasn't saying it will "clog" the injectors. The FACT is that Diesel engines were originally designed to run on anything that will spray from the injectors and burn at the conditions inside the cylinders. They were a huge benefit back in the first days of automobiles where gas quality could vary wildly from one location to another, and they obviously have huge military benefits as you can just burn fuel from wherever you are. The problem isn't that your diesel can't inject used oil successfully or that it won't run on used oil, the problem is in the chemistry of what happens inside your cylinders. Modern oils, especially those like HDEOs and gear lubes that have longer use able life cycles contain additives like sulfated ash which DO NOT COMBUST and instead react with other combustion by products. If those molecules do not burn into a neat clean water vapor and flow out of the exhaust, where do they go? The answer is that some of the molecules stick around and coke up your whole upper cylinder area to include valves and the injector tips where they're actually exposed in the cylinder. Obviously the concentration of these additives vary with different oils. Anyone wonder why we have CJ-4 oils now when the CI-4+ oils seemed better? CJ-4 reformulation restricted the allowable content of ash and other non combustible additives because the little insignificant amount that sneaks past your piston rings or in through your wearing turbo bearings and burns in your cylinders releases enough non combustible by products to plug a DPF up fast enough that everyone would end up having them replaced under warranty. They reformulated oil for weaker additive packages and shorter life spans to ensure everything reaching the cylinder is burnable. These are FACTS.

Does oil inject and burn in a diesel? Yes. It actually lubricates the injection pump and injectors better on the way in too. Does that mean it's a good idea? Not on any engine you want to last forever.

I burn a little oil in an old 6.2 that I wish would die so I could justify a swap, I don't put it in my $3,000 per injector set modern super diesel engineered for ULSD.

Try burning some clean motor oil sometime and see what's left behind.

Im sorry. My posts probably made you feel that way and thats not the intent on this forum. I should have worded stuff better but im not good at that. I am very very straight forward (hurts peoples feelings alot in the real world face to face) and its really something I need to work on. I do agree with the post above alot. I run a water injection system also. It really cleans the whole combustion chamber like new! My pistons/heads/valves/injectors didn't have any kind of "soot" on anything. I never did get any oil anyalisys (sp)? done. But the top was nice and steam cleaned. Good luck braking that 6.2 lol. I don't think you can kill them. We hydro locked one a couple times and it still wouldn't die. That was after 400,000 miles and it still runs today! Again sorry magnus for being harsh in my posts. Im not very good at words over the keyboard! Ask paint lol.

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
I'm sorry actually you didn't do anything to attack me and I sort of jumped on you there.

The water meth really does steam clean things! Some people think that's bad for an engine too, but Rudolf Diesel actually applied for a utility patent on a water injection system at the same time he patented his compression ignition engine. It might've even been on the same patent request form.

Newhollandz

Apr 13, 2014
Ontario
Not trying to run ya down or anything but I have heard of guys using 15W-40 as a diesel lube lol, so putting that on is probably one of the safest

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
When I was down at DTS, they would drain a trans, run the fluid through a filter, and dump it in the tank of the shop truck. We took it to lunch and it ran like a top.