What Grease for Fuel Filter O-ring

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
What type of grease do you guys use to keep the top o-ring on the fuel filter in place? I searched on here and found some guys use dielectric, synthetic brake grease, synthetic axle lube, or lithium grease to lube other part o-rings. I can assume any of these would be find but I'd like to know what you guys use for the fuel filter o-ring. I want to be sure I'm not using something that can damage the o-ring.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I use whatever I can get my hands on. Mostly just diesel fuel. But I have used bearing grease, or just pull the dipstick out and drop some oil on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I generally use diesel fuel but will be switching to the Racor filter (from WIX) and red where guys complain about the top o-ring coming off before the filter is put on so this is why I'm asking about the grease.

I use vaseline, or any other petroleum jelly.

I was told that petroleum products may break down the rubber and lead to failure. Have you had any issues?

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
I was told that petroleum products may break down the rubber and lead to failure. Have you had any issues?[/QUOTE said:
I'm never had a problem with Vaseline. Rubber is a petroleum product not sure why Vaseline would break it down? I'm no chemical engineer though.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I generally use diesel fuel but will be switching to the Racor filter (from WIX) and red where guys complain about the top o-ring coming off before the filter is put on so this is why I'm asking about the grease.

I was told that petroleum products may break down the rubber and lead to failure. Have you had any issues?

I always stretch the "O" ring on the Racor filters, wet it with some diesel fuel and screw it on quickly before the "O" ring relaxes. I've found it's worth the 10 minutes it takes to pull the inner fender liner, especially with the Racor filters. The inner seal can be a really tight fit and it can be a pain to install it if you can't get some leverage, plus you can see if the "O" ring is seated properly.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I'm never had a problem with Vaseline. Rubber is a petroleum product not sure why Vaseline would break it down? I'm no chemical engineer though.

Me either :D

I always stretch the "O" ring on the Racor filters, wet it with some diesel fuel and screw it on quickly before the "O" ring relaxes. I've found it's worth the 10 minutes it takes to pull the inner fender liner, especially with the Racor filters. The inner seal can be a really tight fit and it can be a pain to install it if you can't get some leverage, plus you can see if the "O" ring is seated properly.

I always take the inner fender liner out to change the filter. I've also got the spacer on the filter head so that helps when putting the new filter on.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
i get this stuff from work called 111 fancy name i know its like petrolem jelly just more sticky we use it on every oring at work with cat equptiment works good

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013

I'm a chemical engineer! But only by schooling not by job :(

I'd use something you wouldn't be upset about running through your combustion chambers or more importantly your injector tips. If diesel or diesel fuel additive is enough to hold it in place just use that. Vaseline or engine oil won't hurt the O ring, and probably the most solvent thing the seal will actually touch is biodiesel (fatty acid methyl ester... Generally trans esterified polyglycerides).

The bigger issue is once something is carried into the injectors and combustion chambers and isn't meant to burn. Vasoline May or may not be ok depending on what's ACTUALLY in it, engine oil could have sulfate ash or other additives that don't combust well and coke up everything they touch (why you shouldn't burn used engine oil in a diesel as fuel or to lube the injection pump).

I'm sure whatever you use probably isn't a large enough amount to make a difference but if diesel, diesel additive, or two stroke oil are thick enough to do it I'd stick to them.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Nice write up Magnus. Never really sat down and thought about if the Vaseline, oil, etc made it to the injector what would/could happen. Always gotta think ahead!

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I'm a chemical engineer! But only by schooling not by job :(

I'd use something you wouldn't be upset about running through your combustion chambers or more importantly your injector tips. If diesel or diesel fuel additive is enough to hold it in place just use that. Vaseline or engine oil won't hurt the O ring, and probably the most solvent thing the seal will actually touch is biodiesel (fatty acid methyl ester... Generally trans esterified polyglycerides).

The bigger issue is once something is carried into the injectors and combustion chambers and isn't meant to burn. Vasoline May or may not be ok depending on what's ACTUALLY in it, engine oil could have sulfate ash or other additives that don't combust well and coke up everything they touch (why you shouldn't burn used engine oil in a diesel as fuel or to lube the injection pump).

I'm sure whatever you use probably isn't a large enough amount to make a difference but if diesel, diesel additive, or two stroke oil are thick enough to do it I'd stick to them.

I respectfully disagree. This is why I hate engineers. ( no pun intended sorry magnus) I am a heavy equipment mechanic and have burned straight 30 and 50 weight hyd and atf up to 15w 40 oil in diesels with only poor hp and clogging fuel filters. I have never trashed a fuel system doing so. I ALWAYS put engine assembly lube on o rings or grease oil hyd oil 80-90w grease off my pant leg from climbing on a machine ( I try and get the clean stuff lol) from a pin boss etc. Have never found anything like that "clog" a injector nozzle. IMHO I wouldn't worry about it. I realize you test a bunch of stuff way over my stupid head but I half to deal with egineers everyday that tell me stuff is impossible. Yea well they are so dumbfounded when I show them what a piece of equipment will do that they say is impossible or run it for said minutes on "add your lube um maybe atf or 80-90w" for said minutes on a engine that they said will "blow up" and it runs and stays together. Like I said agian you may build buildings or something? I try and brake stuff and then fix it again.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Im not trying to be disrespectful at all Magnus. I just really have done stupid sheet in my life to try and hurt engines just because I was curious and so were the engineers around me. Unfortunetly I don't work for that company anymore lol. The departure was from pay not from my bad employement lol. On edit I put a handful of metric machine screw nuts/bolts/washers in a vans spark plug hole and we fired it up just to see what would happen. Yea I figured fubard head, piston/plug/cly wall etc. Well after changing the plug that was smashed all to hell and cranking it over till sheet flew out it ran fine? Had to embed stuff into the top of the head/ piston. Still running today as we speak.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Another one off the top of my head. Had a cummins engineer tell me I couldn't stick weld a plate for a hyd cooler off the inside of the frame on a CAT 615 self loader pan with a cummins engine setting in the chassi. Well I did with about 7 passes on each side. He was dumbfounded. He witnessed it with his eyes and said there was no way I could do that. Then I showed him how I bent the rods. Tached the rods together end to end and proceeded to weld the plate. He looked at me like I was a god LMAO. I laughed and sayed. Yea thats everyday in my world. Welcome to the real world of a mechanic working around a engineers **** up lmao. I said it jokingly and he also laughed too. FYI if anyone caught that we do have a CAT 615 with a CR cummins in it and its freakin a beast!

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
I just use diesel fuel. I guess I have never had an issue with the 'o' ring falling out. I use Fleetgaurd Filters. Anything should work as long as it slides and keeps the ring from folding.