Welding fumes-phosgene gas

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Any of you guys that weld a lot or by profession wear SCBA or use HEPA filtered air from a pump?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Any of you guys that weld a lot or by profession wear SCBA or use HEPA filtered air from a pump?

Every shop welder at my mine wears a battery operated ventilated helmet that draws air from the lower back through a filter system for all welding even just mild steel. They only go under supplied air if welding in confined spaces.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Also, in case you didn't know. HEPA is a particulate rated filter and not suitable for fumes. So almost useless for welding.

Ok for use when drawing air from a clean (fume free) location though

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Look closely at Brake cleaner. A lot of it is still chlorinated and if you read the article, that is what the welder used. I know they make an un-chlorinated brake cleaner, but out of habit, they recommend using acetone to clean the parts to avoid the possibility of using the wrong brake cleaner.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Look closely at Brake cleaner. A lot of it is still chlorinated and if you read the article, that is what the welder used. I know they make an un-chlorinated brake cleaner, but out of habit, they recommend using acetone to clean the parts to avoid the possibility of using the wrong brake cleaner.

This is can be bad, had a friend helping another welder install a wellhead, he put brake clean on it while it was still hot, it ****ed that other welder up.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
We always use acetone to clean with. Welding shop is Tig only and highly ventilated. Be careful out there guys, you only got one set of lungs.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I learned this the hard way, as Idaho still sells chlorinated brake cleaners. I always get them as they work way better. I thought it had all evaporated, but apparently not, because after a few minutes welding, felt like I couldn't breathe and went outside. Found that exact article while I rested, and realized how lucky I was that most of it had evaporated first :eek: I suspect I barely breathed any of it to get off so easy. Felt fine the next day, thankfully.

I don't weld enough to justify getting one of the fancy ventilated helmets, but this made me think really hard about it. Now I use acetone or non-chlorinated cleaners, then ensure it is completely dry before welding. If I did it for a living, I would totally invest in a ventilated helmet pack.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

i do not but i am not welding all day every day and frankly, when you are welding in confined spaces like i usually am with cages, suspension parts, etc, there isnt enough room. i fight my helmet left and right already lol. My garage door is either all the way open or half way open with the swamp cooler blowing air from one side of the door so it passes around the back of what ever vehicle im working on and out the other side of the door (big U basically). When its winter time, i just use it as a fan to circulate air.

AZ still sells chlorinated but i learned in Auto, back in high school, just how bad it was for you so ive never bought it. Since i dont TIG, i dont brake cleaner to spray anything off. if its dirty, it gets cleaned up with mineral spirits and dried. Certainly shouldnt be doing it while the weld is still hot.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Lol I only buy chlorinated products... they work WAY better!
Wish I could still buy the old carb cleaner that was only for sale in like 6 states but the epa shut them down and now it’s pretty much impossible to get clean a carb unless you got a sonic bath of some sort
As far as welding I do that every day all day
Galvanized sucks but all you do is make sure your not face right in the smoke and drink some milk
Had metal fume fever a couple times but it’s not that bad ;) learned to keep my face out of the smoke lol
Hard facing rods have a lot of chemicals in them that no matter what you do your going to get a headache so I don’t like doing that much