Water/Oil cooled vs. Oil Cooled Only Turbo's

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
In my search for a new/upgraded turbo I’ve wondered why S366, S372, S375 etc. are only oil cooled where factory and Garrett turbo’s are water and oil cooled; I know the oil is supplied for the bearings as well.

Does this mean a S300 & S400 frame turbo’s won’t have the longevity as a water/oil cooled turbo?
Is there something that BW, Bullseye, etc. know I’m missing or don’t understand?

I know of people that have factory and Garrett turbo’s (if I remember right all 04.5 & later had Garrett) with WELL over 100k miles. Heck, some of the hot shot guys have 300k – 700k miles if not more on one turbo. Not to say the S300 & S400 frame turbo’s aren’t a great setup, I’m purely looking at a longevity stand point. I would venture to say that if one was to install an engine oil cooler like super diesel and others have it would help the longevity of the turbo, as well as the engine obviously.

So I guess I’m asking those out there with journal bearing turbos with no water cooling, S366, S472, S475, etc.; how many miles have you got on your setup?
If I up grade my turbo to an S366 would I be able to get 200 – 300k miles out of it without problems? Granted I don’t abuse it.

I may be completely off my rocker but it’s something I’ve been thinking about and I’m sure others have pondered as well.

Thanks in advance
Yellowchevy

mb1

Nov 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
In my search for a new/upgraded turbo I’ve wondered why S366, S372, S375 etc. are only oil cooled where factory and Garrett turbo’s are water and oil cooled; I know the oil is supplied for the bearings as well.

Cost. Oil only is much cheaper to manufacture.

Does this mean a S300 & S400 frame turbo’s won’t have the longevity as a water/oil cooled turbo?
Is there something that BW, Bullseye, etc. know I’m missing or don’t understand?

Most likely, correct. Overheating water cooled units is possible as well, plus other factors affect the longevity: Oil used, OCI, # of hot shutdowns, avg operating temp, etc.

I know of people that have factory and Garrett turbo’s (if I remember right all 04.5 & later had Garrett) with WELL over 100k miles. Heck, some of the hot shot guys have 300k – 700k miles if not more on one turbo. Not to say the S300 & S400 frame turbo’s aren’t a great setup, I’m purely looking at a longevity stand point. GM put on the more expensive unit because they HAD to. If they thought they could get the same performance / longevity with a cheaper unit they would. I would venture to say that if one was to install an engine oil cooler like super diesel and others have it would help the longevity of the turbo, as well as the engine obviously. Agreed.

So I guess I’m asking those out there with journal bearing turbos with no water cooling, S366, S472, S475, etc.; how many miles have you got on your setup?
If I up grade my turbo to an S366 would I be able to get 200 – 300k miles out of it without problems? Granted I don’t abuse it.

I may be completely off my rocker but it’s something I’ve been thinking about and I’m sure others have pondered as well.
I'm also interested to hear some real world numbers.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now

Cost. Oil only is much cheaper to manufacture.

Most likely, correct. Overheating water cooled units is possible as well, plus other factors affect the longevity: Oil used, OCI, # of hot shutdowns, avg operating temp, etc.

I know of people that have factory and Garrett turbo’s (if I remember right all 04.5 & later had Garrett) with WELL over 100k miles. Heck, some of the hot shot guys have 300k – 700k miles if not more on one turbo. Not to say the S300 & S400 frame turbo’s aren’t a great setup, I’m purely looking at a longevity stand point. GM put on the more expensive unit because they HAD to. If they thought they could get the same performance / longevity with a cheaper unit they would. I would venture to say that if one was to install an engine oil cooler like super diesel and others have it would help the longevity of the turbo, as well as the engine obviously. Agreed.

I'm also interested to hear some real world numbers.

Good point, I had forgotten about added cost for some reason.:(
Hopefully people will chime in with how many miles they have on there setup.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Had 30k on my LBZ with a HTT, and 20k miles with the MPI setup on my LB7. Im getting there :D

Was the HTT still in great shape at 30k?

With the amount I drive that will take me 5 years to get 30k miles:roflmao:. It just sits in the back yard.
Last time I filled up my pickup was the end of May and I still have 1/4 tank.:rofl:

I would like a Garrett but they're a little pricey :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Yellowchevy

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I have ran two S300 chargers and have gotten over 60k on them before altering the configuration. There wasn't any problem at the time of changes. Making sure you turn off the engine when egts ate less than 400 is a key to keeping bearings from coking.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I have ran two S300 chargers and have gotten over 60k on them before altering the configuration. There wasn't any problem at the time of changes. Making sure you turn off the engine when egts ate less than 400 is a key to keeping bearings from coking.

Thats more good information I was looking for, thanks.

I always wait to shut my pickup off till after it's gotten down to 300 or less. I also think an engine oil cool may be in my future as extra security.

Yellowchevy

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
A normal Joe blow doesn't know that.... All these stock turbos can take a beating. They are journal bearing units that are water/oil cooled. I think a unit that has both would be more reliable.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Haha, I think I've dealt with you and Scott to much; you guys know me to well!!! haha:roflmao:

I'm a little worried the 66 will be to big for towing with my stock injectors; but I could be crazy. My wife says I am ALL the time. :eek::roflmao:

Yellowchevy

Will not be to big be just fine. And we can upgrade the injectors also if you want.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Will not be to big be just fine. And we can upgrade the injectors also if you want.

I would LOVE to put bigger injectors in there but I'm barely going to have enough money to buy a turbo. I'll have to sell both modified IHI's, down pipes, intakes, and exhaust to make it work. Plus if I tell my wife she won't be the happiest. :roflmao:
Could I open a line of personal credit with you Henry??? haha :roflmao:

Yellowchevy

Maricopaagent

Glamis Anyone?
Oct 10, 2011
Arizona
I just swapped from a bd turbo(s300 I think) to a gt4202r.. should know more soon, but the few miles on it so far seem WAY better..

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
80 000 miles on my S464 with no issues.
Lots of high mile turbo's out there running oil only on tractor trailers with no issues.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Not all Garrett turbos are water cooled. Mostly just ball bearing turbos are water cooled because they don't get enough oil through them to cool the center section properly. The journal bearing Garrett turbos are almost all oil only.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
With a oil cooled turbo it is hard to get egts down at 300 before shutdown. That is the area that the water cooling helps out the most. The 66 will pill just fine with stock injectors also.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
With a oil cooled turbo it is hard to get egts down at 300 before shutdown. That is the area that the water cooling helps out the most. The 66 will pill just fine with stock injectors also.

I've not had this issue... Mine reaches 300 pretty quickly on idle unless of course the ac is on.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
80 000 miles on my S464 with no issues.
Lots of high mile turbo's out there running oil only on tractor trailers with no issues.

That's alot of miles.
I had forgotten about that, good point on the semi's. I just spaced that one out for some reason.

JoshH
I was unaware of the journal bearing Garrett turbo's being oil cooled only; good to know.

Thanks again for everybody's feedback.

Yellowchevy