Wastegate stuck Closed???

CPugh2013

Cummins Certed, Chevy Guy
Aug 25, 2015
Tricity Area, N. Colorado
So today I was going to pick up my roommate because his bike broke down and my wastgate made this sighing noise and the turbo wouldn't spool. This was followed with massive amounts of smoke pouring out of the exhaust. Could my wastgate be stuck closed or open? Or is it an actual turbo problem? if anyone would happen to know based off the information here.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
LB7? It would be stuck open or more than likely the valve broke off and now the exhaust can go around the turbine instead of being forced through it.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
All the boots still attached?

Just charge it up with air and see where it leaks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CPugh2013

Aug 25, 2015
Yeah my bad, LB7, and as far as I can see yeah the boots are all attached. I gave them all a tug test and nothing came off. I would, but i don't have anything to charge it with air (maybe auto zone might carry a regulated compressor to do that??). Thats what I was thinking was it was stuck open. With WOT you can kind of hear the spool in the turbo but it's very very faint. Thats only in first too, once it hits 3rd it starts pouring out smoke, starts shifting early, and bogs down pretty bad. I'll try to find something to charge the system tomorrow and see if I get any results from it. And the arm on the wastegate appears to be pushed forward, but not quite sure. this is my first duramax. Didn't know how much difference there really was from Cummins lol.

CPugh2013

Aug 25, 2015
Not gonna lie, just bought it a week and a half ago and it was in pretty rough shape. So far I've replaced the air filter, U Joints, factory radio, shitty aftermarket wiring for sub/amp, and other small misc. things.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Just because the boots are all attached does not mean that there is not a hole in the bottom of one where you cannot see it.

You might also look at the intercooler steel pipes. If its in rough shape, one of them could have a hole in it causing the lack of boost.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
First thing first.
Does it spool at all? Do you have a boost gauge hooked up? How many miles? You have an air leaking by somewhere.
The waste gate valve itself is riveted to the shaft that comes out of the side of the exhaust housing. I have seen a few that the rivets have failed and the valve just simply falls off causing no boost at all. Only way to tell that is pull the downpipe off (hard way) or disconnect at the bottom of the downpipe and find someone with a scope that can go up and see if it's still intact. This is all under the scenario you don't have any bad boot connections, holes in the driver side ic pipe, or hole in the intercooler itself.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CPugh2013

Aug 25, 2015
Yeah I can hear a very faint spool but don't think any boost is being created (might be me hearing things though). And no I don't have a boost gauge unfortunately. I checked all the boots and nothing was loose, but like I said I don't think any boost is being created. Changed the oil today though and it was way low, dark, and dirty. Still trying to figure it out.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
You can make the pressure testing tool to test the boots and everything. Simple to make there is a sticky around here somewhere. Probably in turbo talk. Also check your shaft play.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Look thru the wheel well at the driver's side intercooler pipe where it runs next to the power steering pump. The pump lines can rub a hole in the back of the pipe at that spot.

CPugh2013

Aug 25, 2015
I have not yet checked shaft play, that was going to be my next step, but I didn't even think about looking through the wheel well at the ic pipe, never crossed my mind. I'll definitely check that first, I'm hoping it's something that easy, but we shall see. I don't want to have to replace the turbo buut I'm thinking I might have to. And thanks sir, I'll try to find that sticky.

CPugh2013

Aug 25, 2015
So after pulling my intake off I found something that looks like a bell housing on top of the fan. It's pretty shredded up. So with that being said, on a scale of 1 to 58 mm Garrett upgrade, how f*cked would you say my turbo is? Also, there was no shaft play. I took it for a spin after I removed the metal piece and could hear the turbo spooling but it was very light and the truck was still pouring out black smoke. Not as bad as it was, but still pretty thick. Any help would be appreciated. I'll post some pics later if it'll let me.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
You saying it injested something that completely stopped your turbo from spinning?

If thats the case I'd say on a scale of 1 to 58, 1 being as good as it gets and 58 being bad, I'd say its a 158...

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Pictures would help. That explanation didn't do much.

I'd be taking everything off to the ybridge if my turbo ingested something. Not driving it around.

CPugh2013

Aug 25, 2015
Yeah, nah it's completely ****ed, I just wanted a second opinion before I spent the $3000 lol, and yeah, it completely stopped the turbo, so it didn't ingest it, just something got lodged into it. I'll have to get on my laptop later and upload the pic because my iPhone is being an iPhone.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
What the hell was it and how the hell did it get there?

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Wow didn't expect that. The big question is where did it come from. Don't want the same thing happening to a $$$$$$ garrett