was hoping to not have to do this for quite a while

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
DSC05624.jpg

engine is out..... oil pump went last saturday

225,000 miles and lots of very cold starts without being plugged in here in the maine winters must have done it in.

didnt do any engine damage, wasnt driven without oil pressure etc. should be back up and running saturday if all goes well and parts come on time.

i'll make sure to post pictures of the original pumps internals and what exactly is damaged etc.

as far as i can tell this is the only dmax oil pump failure that i've been able to find that is from age etc and not eating metal from a turbo etc ??? seems like its a 1 in a million failure that i was so lucky to experience.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
:( Good luck in the repair.

Casper lost an oil pump on the original engine... Seems the nut fell off IIRC

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Man you took more off the front then I would off.Parts are ordered and should be in my hands on wed afternoon,Will be at fedex after that.We found the gear spun on that LB7 we built and that pump had around 190k on it.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Man you took more off the front then I would off.Parts are ordered and should be in my hands on wed afternoon,Will be at fedex after that.We found the gear spun on that LB7 we built and that pump had around 190k on it.

So the rest of us can understand please:joker:

Last edited by a moderator:

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
i had the nut come loose 35k ago... locktite and retorque and it was fine ever since

mainer

Nov 11, 2008

i pulled the bumper cause i'm going to repaint it while its off.... other than that i think everything else i took off had to come out. took me 4 hours to pull it out with some help from my brother, didnt think that was bad for the first time and i wasnt very motivated to get it out and having twins certainly doesnt make things go any faster, seems to add a few steps to getting it out.

looking forward to getting it back on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
i pulled the bumper cause i'm going to repaint it while its off.... other than that i think everything else i took off had to come out. took me 4 hours to pull it out with some help from my brother, didnt think that was bad for the first time and i wasnt very motivated to get it out and having twins certainly doesnt make things go any faster, seems to add a few steps to getting it out.

looking forward to getting it back on the road.
You don't have to pull the whole core support. Just the bar that runs across the top and the bar that goes between that bar and the frame rail in front of the cooling stack.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
good thing is the engine itself still runs great after 225k miles!

throw a new oil pump on 'er and drive it another 225k! :D