LB7: Updated Quad Build

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
is it REALLY going to be faster than any of the current twin or big single'd duramax's though? ;)

Like I said, dont get me wrong, this is very neat for the wow-factor, but for everyone thinking "OMG 4 TURBOS THAT THING IS GONNA LAUNCH INTO ORBIT!!!!", I think you'll be surprised.

Last edited:

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
is it REALLY going to be faster than any of the current twin or big single'd duramax's though? ;)

Like I said, dont get me wrong, this is very neat for the wow-factor, but for everyone thinking "OMG 4 TURBOS THAT THING IS GONNA LAUNCH INTO ORBIT!!!!", I think you'll be surprised.

Makes sense, you can only push so much volume in area at a certain RPM. I can see a quick spooling.

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
Current Volume in lbs/min of high performance Duramaxs

Duratothemax you raise an interesting question that no one will be able to answer until the truck is finished, but do you have information on what the current big single and compound trucks are producing for volume in pounds per minute?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Duratothemax you raise an interesting question that no one will be able to answer until the truck is finished, but do you have information on what the current big single and compound trucks are producing for volume in pounds per minute?

As a max or at any rpm?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

Just read this here: http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?p=338821#post338821 - TrentNell's post.

I would guess upwards of 75-80lbs would be the norm by looking at some of the bigger single maps. Maybe even more.......

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah

I cant answer on total lbs per min because i am not sure how it changes when compounded but, my secondary flows about 145 lbs per minute , the top one is rated at about 80 lbs per min.

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky

Im thinking low 10's or 9's as far as the truck goes yeah it is cool with 4 turbos but I think with this setup it will have alot better spool, Better EGT's, and my guess very streetable compared to a truck with a big single or a big set of twins but that is my 2 cents

FORBIDN

FORBIDN ENGINEERING
Oct 23, 2009
Billings,Mt
Compound Charging

I cant answer on total lbs per min because i am not sure how it changes when compounded but, my secondary flows about 145 lbs per minute , the top one is rated at about 80 lbs per min.

I have talked to some of the ferrari Engineers such as Gearhardt Shruff who has built the twin turbo motors to back up my theory and get a better knowledge of compound, twin, and single turbocharging. When compounded in my opinion once you reach 80 pounds per minute of airflow your really not forcing too much more air through that small turbo because the way the compounds are built the intake charge from the low pressure charger must blow through the high pressure charger and it isnt possible to push that much more air through the high pressure charger without exploding parts all that is happening is an increase in boost or velocity.Your low pressure charger flows 145 but to effectivly produce 1500 hp in a duramax motor you must reach at least 209 pounds per minute. Thats why I have paired 2 GT4202r's that produce 95 pounds per minute of air each wich together produces 190 pounds per minute thats going to be anywhere from 30 to say 60 pounds per minute over the current compound setups! Even if someone ran a GT60 the largest garrett single available it only produces 185 by itself!!!!! And for the people wondering the trucks name is !VOLATILE VOLUME!