Traction control/stabilitrak disable??

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
I have a guy that uses his 2012 LML to feed hay with, and gets stuck often. Anyway to disable the traction control other than by the button? Also what about the stabilitrak?

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
Hold down on the traction control and it will turn of the stabilitract but it turns back on after a certain mph is seen on the speedo I think. Only way I know of to turn of traction control is the button I think

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Unplug the brake fluid level sensor, all of the above will shut off but the dash will be more annoying than getting stuck. Does using 4wd low shut off everything on an lml?

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
As mentioned, press and hold the button and both traction and stabilitrak are off, light on dash will confirm that. 11-14 the traction and stabilitrak stay off, no matter the speed. And yes, 4-lo also disables both.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Why do you need ESC off at >40mph anyways?

You're an idiot if you're intentionally putting these unwieldy/top-heavy trucks sideways at highway speeds lol.

If you manually turned it off completely at lower speeds, any torque reduction you're feeling is driveline protection, its mostly a TCM algorithm to prevent you from twisting driveshafts and crap.

Tuning can eliminate a lot of the driveline protection algo.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Then call me an idiot. I've been driving sideways at highway and freeway speeds for many years. I enjoy driving and the entertainment that can be had with it. BTW, these trucks are ANYTHING but unwieldy.

It's also not unusual for me to be spinning my tires at 35+ MPH while driving through snowy fields and ditches. The second you slow your wheel speed all momentum stops and your stuck, last thing I want is to be ripping through a field with a load of firewood and suddenly my wheel speed hits 35 and my truck starts doing the stabilitrak shimmy, cuts power, and now I'm stuck.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
hmmmm i turned stability and traction control off on a 2016 1500 with the 5.3 and 2wd (uhaul truck). 2nd gear bouncing off the rev limiter while the truck moved about 2 mph through snow/ice, never kicked any system back on. speedo said i was doing 65ish lol. maybe the 1500s are different?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
hmmmm i turned stability and traction control off on a 2016 1500 with the 5.3 and 2wd (uhaul truck). 2nd gear bouncing off the rev limiter while the truck moved about 2 mph through snow/ice, never kicked any system back on. speedo said i was doing 65ish lol. maybe the 1500s are different?

Because the front wheel speed sensors still said the truck was only going 2mph.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
You're an idiot if you're intentionally putting these unwieldy/top-heavy trucks sideways at highway speeds lol.

Donuts in the snow are one reason I am glad neither of my trucks have traction control. Sometimes it's nice to be out of control or an idiot as you say, lol.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Donuts in the snow are one reason I am glad neither of my trucks have traction control. Sometimes it's nice to be out of control or an idiot as you say, lol.

AGREED! Nothing like the thrill of drifting through snowy fields at 45 mph or doing 4WD donuts in an empty parking lot!

My truck works hard for me, but I make sure she gets her fair share of playtime too. . . . .

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
BTW, these trucks are ANYTHING but unwieldy.
Agreed, these trucks are one of the most stable platforms I've ever driven when spinning the tires. Yes, it is no Corvette, but you almost have to work at looping one out at speed.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Then call me an idiot. I've been driving sideways at highway and freeway speeds for many years. I enjoy driving and the entertainment that can be had with it. BTW, these trucks are ANYTHING but unwieldy.

It's also not unusual for me to be spinning my tires at 35+ MPH while driving through snowy fields and ditches. The second you slow your wheel speed all momentum stops and your stuck, last thing I want is to be ripping through a field with a load of firewood and suddenly my wheel speed hits 35 and my truck starts doing the stabilitrak shimmy, cuts power, and now I'm stuck.
I feel ya. Been in similar situations in the mud too. Spinning to keep the treads clean is sometimes the only way out other than tire chains. Be nice to have a simple way to disable it altogether on the 15+.

Some pavement princess people just don't get it that some people actually use these trucks as off road work trucks.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
You can't turn it off entirely without interrupting the electrical signal. Even with it showing off in the dash, it is still on to a lesser degree. Pull the fuse or install a switch is the only way to have no computer intervention

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Guessing you are part of the 10% that traction control, abs, stabili-link, electronic brake proportioning crap is more burdensome than helpful..
The ABS/electronic pro crap almost caused me to jack knife going down said hill. Front would lock up long before rear that had full chains on and drives would keep shoving me down the hill!
But Mr Tyler will gladly tell anyone how stupid they are for not liking it :rolleyes:
I've yet to have any computerized traction control system save my ass... On the other hand I've had the exact opposite :mad:
17022140_10211086215004842_4035782246516660880_n.jpg

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Guessing you are part of the 10% that traction control, abs, stabili-link, electronic brake proportioning crap is more burdensome than helpful..
The ABS/electronic pro crap almost caused me to jack knife going down said hill. Front would lock up long before rear that had full chains on and drives would keep shoving me down the hill!
But Mr Tyler will gladly tell anyone how stupid they are for not liking it :rolleyes:
I've yet to have any computerized traction control system save my ass... On the other hand I've had the exact opposite :mad:
17022140_10211086215004842_4035782246516660880_n.jpg

adam shut up. You simply turned the corner too sharp going up a hill and didnt calculate the turning radius properly. Admit you made a mistake. That little accident of yours didnt have jack shit to do with ABS.

Your truck doesnt even have traction control or anything like that.