Tom ( TheBac ) puts down 580/1112

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Whew...just got in. Un-freakin-real. Thanks for the kudos everyone. We stopped for dinner and to buy fireworks on the way home.

Best HP was 580. Best Tq was 1152. Avg was 578/1116. Trent listed all thats been done to the truck except the boost valve. Stock turbo/injectors/CP3...hell, its a stock engine with big tune.

This was done at Danville Performance by Mark Broviak. What a nice guy, and very very smart. Also met Matt Gainer...he is a dang good guy too. They impressed me with their knowledge, patience and professionalism. I cant say enough good things about their shop. I also have a very funny story to tell about meeting Matt.

First run with nothing touched truck went 576/1087. This is on Nick's "12.40" tune. Mark found a couple more HP and more Tq during the 8 runs over 2 hours. 2He went wayyyy over and above anything I was expecting or asking. Heck, all I really wanted to do was test a few tunes, and I ended up leaving with a race tune and a lot better idea of how my truck runs. He also took the time during all this to explain EFILive to my "majoring in automotive-engineering" nephew (who is now sold on diesel performance) and my 13 y/o son...who I think has a future as an engineer.

Temp in the shop was 98-100*, humidity was 28%...so the air sucked. My truck shocked us all, as I was realistically hoping for 550hp. Im going to call Marks last effort my new "Ballz to the Wallz" tune.

To the airhorn question, I saw max boost of 31.4psi, and it falls off to 27 as the run progresses. So no...not higher boost, but there is more air, which is what we all really want.

Gotta give Michael (Superdiesel) the props he deserves for helping me get further down the hp road and closer to my goals.

Maybe it wasnt so ludicrous to think that 600rwhp is possible with a stock turbo? All I know is that Im close enough to that goal to now try it.

But, as usual, the proof will be at the drag strip. Friday may still be in the cards, James. Just have to run later in the evening after the sun goes down.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
For everyone chasing Tom .......................................... good luck :rofl:

his truck is a FREAK ! ( in a good way Tom ) keep up the good work , you've worked hard and its paid off !

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Borrowed time team member what?!!! :rolleyes:

Nice going. Welcome to the "hairy edge." ;)

And I'm still chasing......:D

Yeah..no kidding. I drove home on that big tune, and it drove fine, although I am going to put a nice tow tune in for DD...gotta save the internals somehow.

You were right about the snubber. Axle moved a bit, but not enough to show up.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
For everyone chasing Tom .......................................... good luck :rofl:

his truck is a FREAK ! ( in a good way Tom ) keep up the good work , you've worked hard and its paid off !

Thanks Trent. You are a big help to me...moreso than you know. IMO, this is an example of this community working together to help further the sport in general, as so many people have given me ideas or helped me flesh out ideas of my own.

The ET calc says 580hp @ 6500lbs is a 12.08, @6400lbs a 12.01. Im going to wait til I actually run numbers like that to proclaim success. Dont want to piss off the Dmax gods.

BTW, the bank still owns part of my truck. :rofl:

Last edited:

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
Thanks Trent. You are a big help to me...moreso than you know. IMO, this is an example of this community working together to help further the sport in general, as so many people have given me ideas or helped me flesh out ideas of my own.

The ET calc says 580hp @ 6500lbs is a 12.08, @6400lbs a 12.01. Im going to wait til I actually run numbers like that to proclaim success. Dont want to piss off the Dmax gods.

if you hit 11's with a stock turbo and single cp3 i will Sht myself and then sell my truck:D

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
WOW, congrats Tom. Takes work to get track times and dyno #'s like yours. Great effort and payoff.

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Tom,

Do you have Upipes?

You have a custom downpipe too right?

You have inspired me to put the IHI back on my truck when it is being put back together.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Congrats Tom!

So this is what spurred the tire discussion?

Yes. In the end, best to dyno what you run at the track if feasible, IMO.

Tom,

Do you have Upipes?

You have a custom downpipe too right?

You have inspired me to put the IHI back on my truck when it is being put back together.

Not yet. Saving for uppipes, downpipe is not installed yet. You should see how nice a ported IHI looks. More air/lower intake temps are the goal. Mark is starting to port these turbos to good results (has a couple on the road), and one of those will probably be in my future plans.

Tom, you are the man! And your truck is "the truck"! Truly awsome. Congrats.

Thats debatable. :rofl: Just ask my wife. ;) Thanks.

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
holy crap Tom!! Nice job, what the hell is wrong with your truck!!!!??? :p: :D

Keep me updated next time you go to the track!

ben

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Congrats Tom. That is one helluva strong stock truck. Hope the the track turns some good times for you.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
My nephew has some videos. He took one of the shop exhaust pipe "taking flight" as the run commenced. Pretty cool.

I only took one pic. Had my mind on other things. :D

Here is the sheet. First run and last run. Mark did some tweaking to the tune to move the hp/tq down the rpm scale during the testing..not sure exactly what.
The other 6 runs all followed essentially the exact same curve as these two did.

Last edited: