Thinking about school.....

Skyhigh4by

Goin to Poochisloose
Apr 13, 2008
Powell River, BC
Well Im in the construction industry right now and I find it to be a bit unreliable or erratic. I would like to get into something that I can always count on having work. I have looked a bit and am starting to narrow down the choices.
1. Auto mechanic(diesel)
2. Heavy duty mechanic
3. Heating and Air conditioning
4. Paramedic

If anyone has any input on these please feel free to input. But here are my concerns. With the auto mechanic is that I just dont know where we are going with the emissions stuff and it worries me a bit. With paramedic Im afraid that it could take way to long to start making good money and people that have been volunteering with fire depts and such would be way ahead of me on the list of canidates to be hired. I am also worried that when I go to school it is going to take a few years before I start making the kind of money that I need to live. What the heck do I do????

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
auto diesel... more as in off road tends to have more money envole... mainly the equipment is bigger. verse over the road also looking to the railways as well.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
Speaking from experience ^^^^^^^

Stay as far away from the general consumer aspect of "Auto repair" as you can. Dealers, Midas, Bob's auto repair, etc.. The ability to make an honest living in that field is diving like the DOW.. Unless you like being at work all day for no cash. It is ALL piece work. If your customers don't have any cash to fix their ride then you don't get to bring any home.

HVAC is paying decent right now.

SBCNX20

Aug 7, 2006
Central MA
Paramedic

If the stock market keeps dropping there will be alot of shootings to respond to. Or how about firefighter? If the right guy (wait)..... less wrong guy gets elected there will be rioting throughout the country and thus plenty of work in either occupation.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
X2 on firefighter / paramedic. When you get hired and get off your probation you have a secure job with great benefits and consistent pay. You wont get rich but if you were meant for it you'll know. You'll also get an unbeatable schedule 3 days on 3 days off or 24 hrs on 72 hrs off. Are you sold yet ;) ?

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
If your close to the coast I would look into marine diesels. Should be plenty of work between pleasure, fishing or commercial boats. I would say try commercial fishing but it can hit & miss like construction, if you went up to Alaska you can make some good money in short time. Another thing to look into is tugboats, usually pay 200-300 a day & work is minimal.

Skyhigh4by

Goin to Poochisloose
Apr 13, 2008
Powell River, BC
Thanks for the input guys....One thing you must remember is that Im in canada, the economy is a bit different. Im afraid that to become a firefighter I may have to volunteer for years before I get anywhere and I just dont have the time or money to do that. I live on vancouver island so marine is a very good option here. My grandpa and my dad are both fisherman, my grandpa got VERY wealthy fishing but that was back in the 60's-90's. My dad hasnt faired so well because it has gone down hill so much. I think that I may try to look into marine mechanic, I think that the schooling is pretty well the same as auto mechanic with a few variances. Heavy duty mechanic is a very good option and pay seems to be pretty well 90,000+ but I may have to move back up north and I just got away from that. I dont really know but I know Ive got alot of thinking about it to do.

Skyhigh4by

Goin to Poochisloose
Apr 13, 2008
Powell River, BC
Well I think that I have decided to go for diesel technician specializing in marine applications. The university here offers a heavy duty mechanic course and a inboard/outboard marine tech course. Im going to have to talk to a councelor at the school because I dont really think that either of those programs are what I need.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Are there lot's of pulp and paper plants around you? You could always go and get a steam ticket. 4th class takes a year or so. In Alberta anyway. Just an idea.

Skyhigh4by

Goin to Poochisloose
Apr 13, 2008
Powell River, BC
Construction Management
or
Agri Business

Or oil field...
I was in the oilfield and I just got away from Alberta. I was there for 3 years and couldnt be happier to move back home. Construction here is my problem its to unstable and there is very little agriculture around here.

Are there lot's of pulp and paper plants around you? You could always go and get a steam ticket. 4th class takes a year or so. In Alberta anyway. Just an idea.

The pulp mills around here are all being shut down or drastically down sized. The forestry industry here is going down the tube just like fishing.

Thanks for the input guys, can never have to many options

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Go be a Lineman thats where its at, job security, like no other, and you can work just about any where you want in the world.