LB7: Testing injectors

williambryan

Sep 5, 2011
I have a 2003 duramax with 160000 miles........doesn't smoke or have fuel in the oil however conserned about going on a long trip and having injectors fail. Thinking about purchacing CarMD diagnostic tester.......will it or anyother tester confirm the condition of my injectors, without going to a dealership to have this done?

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
The only thing that can be done that's easy is check the balance rates, not sure about the CarMd tester you mentioned best to call them. There are other test such as return fuel flow rates but they are labor itensive and it's goin to cost you. I would say since it doesn't smoke, no fuel in your oil, runs good, and maintains rail pressure on your stock tune just drive it and take your chances witch are probably pretty good anyways. My dads truck has 260,000+ miles on his original injectors and his is a 2002, yah it hazes at a little at idle but he keeps driving it. The point is some have problems and some don't, I have a 2004 with 70,000 miles and so far it's still good to. I do know EFI live can check balance rates and almost anything else engine related you might wan't to check but it's probably a little pricey just to use as a scan tool.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The only testing you can do on your injectors with a scan tool is test balance rates, but that doesn't really tell the whole story. Balance rates won't show high return rates or a cracked injector body.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I will mention that my dads truck all the balance rates are in spec so basicaly it doesn't tell you shit on injectors that are all worn/dirty pretty much equaly.

williambryan

Sep 5, 2011
I have this new thread and for the last hour I have been looking for the button to post a new thread and can't find it, so I am using this quick reply.

Thanks for all the comments on my previous thread regarding testing the Injectors.
I have a 2003 Chevy Duramax Diesel that I bought new and have taken excellent care of and doing all the preventive maintenance myself (being a retired Aircraft Mechanic) with no diesel experience. I have 160000 miles on it and it is getting harder to start. It takes much longer to fire up. Twice I have had to use starter fluid while cranking it up. The injectors have never been changed and I have used diesel additive occasionally to keep the injectors clean. Any ideas why it’s getting harder to start and if I buy a scanner will it find the problem?
Please advise on the above new Thread and please give some guidance where the new thread button is. Thanks

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Back when I was nervous I used to check balance rates and command max fuel pressure for a fews seconds a couple times before going on a big trip. And I always run a fuel additive when travelling.

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
Hey guys for what's worth I spoke with the BG rep that sales the BG44 Products he told me that the Injector cleaner for gas engines will work just fine for Diesels, so I recorded the balance rates on a friend of mines truck ( with his permission ) and put in some BG44 for gas engines and ran it for 4o miles then rechecked them and they did come back in range, it was impressive. I have the logs saved.. I've not told alot of people cause u know how smart some people are...:D Anyway I just wanted to share that, I use the product in my truck bi-monthly now...God Bless.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I have this new thread and for the last hour I have been looking for the button to post a new thread and can't find it, so I am using this quick reply.

Thanks for all the comments on my previous thread regarding testing the Injectors.
I have a 2003 Chevy Duramax Diesel that I bought new and have taken excellent care of and doing all the preventive maintenance myself (being a retired Aircraft Mechanic) with no diesel experience. I have 160000 miles on it and it is getting harder to start. It takes much longer to fire up. Twice I have had to use starter fluid while cranking it up. The injectors have never been changed and I have used diesel additive occasionally to keep the injectors clean. Any ideas why it’s getting harder to start and if I buy a scanner will it find the problem?
Please advise on the above new Thread and please give some guidance where the new thread button is. Thanks

Are your glow plugs working properly?? How long does the wait to start light stay on? You are asking for trouble using starting fluid on a glow plug engine. I have seen the tips get melted right off and end up stuck in the piston/valve/turbo etc. If you insist on using starting fluid make sure you disable the glow plug module, or at least remove the air filter and spray it only while cranking the engine over...

Last edited:

williambryan

Sep 5, 2011
Longer starts

As since new the wait to start lite stays on for 5 to 10 seconds during normal summer weather.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Hey guys for what's worth I spoke with the BG rep that sales the BG44 Products he told me that the Injector cleaner for gas engines will work just fine for Diesels, so I recorded the balance rates on a friend of mines truck ( with his permission ) and put in some BG44 for gas engines and ran it for 4o miles then rechecked them and they did come back in range, it was impressive. I have the logs saved.. I've not told alot of people cause u know how smart some people are...:D Anyway I just wanted to share that, I use the product in my truck bi-monthly now...God Bless.
Were the rates out of spec before using the BG44?

williambryan

Sep 5, 2011
Someone please tell me how to post a new thread, so I can get more responces to this. I had to post this on a "reply" rather than a new post.............I have spent hrs looking for the "post new thread" button.

Thanks

williambryan

Sep 5, 2011
New Thread

Thanks, I now see it...........it came up but the admin won't allow it.........I am new and on hold for permission.

TNeill

Diesel Power
Sep 5, 2011
North Louisiana
to be honest , no. Injectors that are electronic can fail at any time. However unlikely this will happen without warning. If your dmax is running good and you have serviced fuel filters and engine oil and filter regularly, you shouldnt have a problem. 03 dmax with 255000 and would not hesitat to take 1500 or more miles. And i need to replace mine. !

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thanks, I now see it...........it came up but the admin won't allow it.........I am new and on hold for permission.

Your not on hold the link above no member will be able to post in its locked. Only myself or other mods or admins can post there to keep the info clean. If you want to make a new thread go to smoke signals and click it and you can start a thread.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
At the top of the page click on home then on the left side of that page click forums then go down the list pick the correct catagorie your post goes in click on that then at the top in red it says new thread

williambryan

Sep 5, 2011
FYI .........I finally decided to take the truck in to the dealership and the findings were as follows: Fuel injectors balance rate = 1.3, .5, 2.4, .3, 2.5, 1.2, 4.5, and 1.5. There is no indication that these were going out. I have 160,000 miles, it does not smoke or make oil and I get an honest 18.5 mpg at 60 mph. The slower to start thread I was conserned about the findings were a failing fuel pressure regulator and a bad glow plug relay. The truck actually runs pretty good! Starts in 5 seconds instead of 2 seconds however rarely it takes 2 cranks and twice it didn't start at all in the past 2 months when I used starter fluid.
Although I do not have diesel experience............. only old school auto and aircraft maintenance I will do all the work myself in my hobby shop. Does anyone know where I can buy at a good price NEW INJECTORS..........NOT REMANUFACTURED. and what additional seals and tools I will need. I subscribe to Alldata and it lists one tool but no seals.

Thanks

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
FYI .........I finally decided to take the truck in to the dealership and the findings were as follows: Fuel injectors balance rate = 1.3, .5, 2.4, .3, 2.5, 1.2, 4.5, and 1.5. There is no indication that these were going out. I have 160,000 miles, it does not smoke or make oil and I get an honest 18.5 mpg at 60 mph. The slower to start thread I was conserned about the findings were a failing fuel pressure regulator and a bad glow plug relay. The truck actually runs pretty good! Starts in 5 seconds instead of 2 seconds however rarely it takes 2 cranks and twice it didn't start at all in the past 2 months when I used starter fluid.
Although I do not have diesel experience............. only old school auto and aircraft maintenance I will do all the work myself in my hobby shop. Does anyone know where I can buy at a good price NEW INJECTORS..........NOT REMANUFACTURED. and what additional seals and tools I will need. I subscribe to Alldata and it lists one tool but no seals.

Thanks

There is also the Gm spec area that I have the repair info posted. Reman injectors is what all Gm dealers and a lot of people sell they come with the same warranty 12 months unlimited milage. I sell both reman and new Bosch injectors.