Suspension lift preferences

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
Im wanting to lift my dually between 6-8 inches. I was wondering what suspension lift kits you guys are using pros and cons before I buy a kit. should I avoid a particular brand?

Any comments good or bad are highly appreciated thanks in advance!

Last edited:

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
here is my truck w superlift 6-7.5 w/ 2'' keys and dads dually w 6 inch superlift cranked down to 5'' and 4'' block in the rear i have had good luck w the superlift stuff thats my 2 cents

Attachments

• dually.JPG
    dually.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 126

Linden

Sparkplugs FTL
Dec 12, 2009
Florida
cognito, rize, fabbtech or wicked suspensions. im doing the wicked 8" on mine my friend actually owns the lift company. he is cheaper than any of them and is on par with the cognito lift.

my lift is being powder coated now should be on by the end of the month

Last edited:

blackduramax07

Mar 6, 2008
Florence, AL
I have a BDS lift on my truck, and have been very impressed by it. It is the new non-torsion bar drop package they are making. Finished product is very clean.

Linden

Sparkplugs FTL
Dec 12, 2009
Florida
youre pros and cons are going to come from you goals the key is angles alot of 8" lifts are glorified 6" lifts cranked to hell. a quality 8" is going to have upper arms. im going to be running a knuckle lift as apposed to a bracket drop it will increase my width in the front by 1.5" but i wont loose turning radius like brackets. off hand i dont like the FTS lift because you cut shit off the frame and cant return your truck to stock if for some reason you ever needed to. the key to your ride is going to come from angle the further your bars are loaded the stiffer they ride. and when a lift is cranked alot youll prematurely wear things like TREs and BJs. alot of people talk about CV angles first but the fact of the matter is im more concerned about TRE and BJs as my truck is my DD and my toy and being safe on the road is key

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
If you increase your track width you lose turning radius no matter what lift you choose.

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
My main concerns are dependability and ride quality. I only wanna do things 1 time and Im getting a little ache in the bones so ride quality is a major issue. Im not to worried about doing offroading cause there has been a major crackdown here on offroaders and riding the beaches a few dumb azzes screwed it for the rest of us. I just want a good ride.

Also for shock value the only lifted dually here is a Ford xtra cab and Im getting kinda sick of him always running his mouth. I tried to shut him up by calling him out a few times but says with his lift Id have an unfair advantage regardless of whatever handicapp i give him. I wanna shut him up once and for all so i figure lift my truck and see what he has to cry about then

Last edited:

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
here is my truck w superlift 6-7.5 w/ 2'' keys and dads dually w 6 inch superlift cranked down to 5'' and 4'' block in the rear i have had good luck w the superlift stuff thats my 2 cents

Trucks are sweet! thats the look I wanna achieve. I want to get the tractor wheels to but I could only squeeze a lift out of my wife. haha It was easier to get a root canal then getting money out of my wife:D

Linden

Sparkplugs FTL
Dec 12, 2009
Florida
hopefully this helps as motivation its my favorite lifted dually
139.jpg

and reno yes i know my steering will dimish but what i was getting at was the knuckle lifts are known for having better turning radius than bracket lifts

js are you planning to do it yourself? i can set you up with wicked suspensions they have killer lifts and even better prices let me know

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
hopefully this helps as motivation its my favorite lifted dually
139.jpg

and reno yes i know my steering will dimish but what i was getting at was the knuckle lifts are known for having better turning radius than bracket lifts

js are you planning to do it yourself? i can set you up with wicked suspensions they have killer lifts and even better prices let me know

yep living on a little island its kinda mandatory to do it yourself:D

that would be cool if u could get me a price:thumb:

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I've had several Pro Comp lift's and had good luck. It's a bracket type of lift that is truly a 6" kit. Knuckle lifts will give you better geometry for steering and CV angles. Just becasue it's a knuckle lift doesn't mean your not going wear out parst faster. It doesn't matter what type of lift you have, you will wear out parts. that's kind of salesman ploy. As far as ride quality goes, shocks shocks and shocks. That's what will give you a good ride. Too soft and it bounces like your on a boat in big sweels. Too hard and it will jar and ride stiff. Kind of have to make a smart choice there and you might have to try a few shocks before you find what you like. I have Pro Comp mx6's on my truck in just the front and some Pro Comp 9000 in the rear. The front bounced way too much for me so I stiffened it up some. I left the rear alone because it's pretty soft for 3/4 ton pickup. I also went with the bracket type lift because there are no spacers for the CV axles and it doesn't push the front tires out. I've also heard of several guys bending the rear crossmember on the Pro Comp kit. That has been fixed in their newer kit's. As long as you don't crank the bars too the moon (like I have) and find a good set of shocks, you should get what your looking for. If your installing the kit yourself a knuckle kit will be the easiest.

If I was gonna keep the IFS under the truck I would have bought a Cognito and left it on. I got a killer deal on the Pro Comp kit and it's only going to be on the truck for so long. I'm going to straight axle the truck after I get the trans built.

Linden

Sparkplugs FTL
Dec 12, 2009
Florida
yes SAS is the way to go but if your going to wheel it like in the deep mud of FL 1 tons wont cut it so im keeping my current truck as a tow pig and hopefully getting a matching truck by the end of the year for some 5 tons. here is the remains of my brother 6" pro comp he is now doing the 8" pure performance SAS coil over kit.

JS you have a PM

100_9189.jpg

100_9200.jpg

100_9199.jpg

100_9198.jpg

100_9197.jpg

100_9196.jpg

100_9195.jpg

100_9194.jpg

100_9193.jpg

100_9190.jpg

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
youre pros and cons are going to come from you goals the key is angles alot of 8" lifts are glorified 6" lifts cranked to hell. a quality 8" is going to have upper arms. im going to be running a knuckle lift as apposed to a bracket drop it will increase my width in the front by 1.5" but i wont loose turning radius like brackets. off hand i dont like the FTS lift because you cut shit off the frame and cant return your truck to stock if for some reason you ever needed to. the key to your ride is going to come from angle the further your bars are loaded the stiffer they ride. and when a lift is cranked alot youll prematurely wear things like TREs and BJs. alot of people talk about CV angles first but the fact of the matter is im more concerned about TRE and BJs as my truck is my DD and my toy and being safe on the road is key

But when you overcrank you are putting added stress to the components that are already wear items in the first place. By keeping the cranking to a minimum you stay within a green zone and the premature wear items tend to be longer lasting. UBJ take a beating when you crank too high and that can lead to some safety problems I mean who wants to be out on the trail or wherever and have a ball joint fail? Not me no way. So keeping you CV at a nice level will not wear out items as fast.

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
I would stay away from leveling kits and keys. If your going to do the lift just get the suspension lift, save money if you thats what you need to do. I mean in regard to what you like Cognito really sets you up in terms of you can put stuff on that you want to begin with. The lift kit also keeps your CV angles nice and customer service is great from what I understand. CST has been a big player in the lift kit industry but I have understood that they are an older style lift kit. Fabtech, RCD are good lifts they push out the wheels a bit but thats not horrible. Fabtech customer service is ok they get back to you quick. I have no idea about their bankruptcy stuff last I knew when I talked to one of their guys was that its business as usual just with bankruptcy protection. RCD I don't know much just its a decent kit.

I mean really what do you want out of your lift kit and/or truck? Will it be more on the pavement or really off road worthy? Thats a ? to ask yourself.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
But when you overcrank you are putting added stress to the components that are already wear items in the first place. By keeping the cranking to a minimum you stay within a green zone and the premature wear items tend to be longer lasting. UBJ take a beating when you crank too high and that can lead to some safety problems I mean who wants to be out on the trail or wherever and have a ball joint fail? Not me no way. So keeping you CV at a nice level will not wear out items as fast.

Just to add to that

When you "load" the tortion bars they don't ride ride stiffer. That's why they are called tortion bars. You can crank the bars so far up that you have cut bumpstops off because you haven't left the arm any drop out...........so.......you actually hitting the bumpstop and it's stopping the down travel of the arm.

Good point MMANGLES22, the upper BJ's will take a bad beating from the extreame angle of the a-arm. Good idea to keep them as flat as you can.

wikdlmm

<-- OWFA
Jun 27, 2008
san angelo

lets keep it civilized....:D