Allison 6sp: Suncoast 1058

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
Was wondering what everyones thoughts were on this converter?? I have the 1057 right now and its great. but I installed a Danville 3794va turbo and it feels laggy, was wondering if it would help, this turbo likes the revs (tow haul) better then in just drive. Also what stall is the 1058?? thought I read its 2300?? thanks!

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
A higher stall converter may help a little but you say it drives better in tow haul? I'm wondering if some changes to your tuning would be more beneficial? A tune that will optimize vane position and help spoolup and possibly raising part throttle shift points for driving in regular mode? I swapped my 1057 for a high stall Precision and it helped build boost at the line for drag racing but raising my shift points helped more than anything for regular daily driving, I can stay on top of the charger better now.

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
I noticed that most of you guys dont have the vgt charger. wonder if that makes a difference?? I have my vane position tight as possible on the bottom end and it doesent seem to light as good as I thought. when I said in tow haul it works better, I mean when I rev it out it lights instantly.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Can't complain about my 58 on the stock vvt. Did well at the track for me and tuning helped smooth the lockup. That Danville turbo is on my to do list...after exhaust and finger vanes...dying to get the money together for those vanes.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The 1058 is one of the best converters that SC produces. I ran the first one after Ron put together. It works great in an LML with small tune without amplifying the dead pedal. If you go with a bigger tune, the 1058 will be too loose in the LML.
I installed the 1058 in my LML while I was running a Quad 80 tune and it was great. After Idaho Rob installed his tune ( still have all my smog shit ) Rob and I found it to be way too loose.

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
Ok mike. So how will it be with a larger tuned truck? I like how the 1057 is. But I find my turbo a bit slower to light. We have it tuned the best we can. The vvts are clamped tight off the bottom and it's still a dog. But I find when I'm driving and drop a gear to bring up rpms then he turbo lites quick. That's why I was wondering about a looser stall. Thanks

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The 1058 will work better, just make sure your tuning is correct. I've seen a lot of spool problems due to tuning.

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Just curious, I'm from the area and noticed your sig. Was wondering if if you were happy with it and if you'd stay or switch tuners for the 1058.

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Very! I personally wouldn't touch anybody's EFI except for the tried, tested and proven. Like Fleece, MotorOps, Tony and a few others, but Kory is the dude who'll stay tuning my truck.

But good luck with your new converter & tuning and maybe we'll see you around sometime.