Stupid touchy throttle

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
Anybody had an issue with a super touchy throttle trying to back up or ease around?? It's nearly impossible to back up without spinning the tires if you're off the pavement or easing around forward every time you hit a bump it's like you mash the throttle. I doubt it's a tuning issue because I have Danville tunes.

03 LB7, built trains, s366, 45% injectors, lbz modded pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Tried it in a tow tune? Look at what app is doing

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
I might also add... I had this problem when I bought the truck a few years ago, it had some homemade tunes on it so I just thought they were crapy, once I got a built Trans and Danville tunes it was a lot better. Now that I did the air and fuel upgrades and got new tunes it is worse again, not as bad as when I bought it though.

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
My throttle is touchy as shit also. If I take off from a red light & cross the dips in the road through the interestion the truck jerks like crazy like I punch it & then let off through each bump

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I might also add... I had this problem when I bought the truck a few years ago, it had some homemade tunes on it so I just thought they were crapy, once I got a built Trans and Danville tunes it was a lot better. Now that I did the air and fuel upgrades and got new tunes it is worse again, not as bad as when I bought it though.

I think you've answered your own question, it's definitely a tuning issue...I'd get with Danville and have them do some tweaking, I doubt it will take much to tame it down some...

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Well here goes, google "killerbee throttle spring duramax"....

99-05 Accelerator Springs upgrade under $2.00
First off we have to Thank Killer Bee for all the work in finding this simple solution. See Killerbees write-up below I was able to find the springs available at local hardware stores for $3.00 for two springs. See picture below. As with Killerbees mod, these were easily installed in less than a minute.

Accelerator Spring Mod, 99-05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT IS IT?

The pedal has 2 springs, a torsion spring and an extension spring. There is more than one spring because failure of both would mean runaway and no way to stop the truck. Except for this redundancy protection, the extension spring on these trucks is almost worthless, and doesn't resist the user, or supply any real travel feel.

A number of times I have experienced when going over bumps, the weight of your leg causes these engine cycling feedback runups that are just plain irritating. This does away with that, as well as reduces the leg fatique from driving without cruise control. IOW, it allows you to drive with the right foot more at rest, and more resistance keeps those runups reduced. The best way to say it is it makes the truck feel more intelligent, more controlled, if that helps.

After completing a round of custom tuning on the LB7 and LLY some years ago, I came to the conclusion that pedal feel was missed by GM's quality department. A pedal should provide an adequate amount of "feel" or feedback so that you not only have a good idea what you are requesting, but also so that your own body does not provide excessive feedback over bumps and during accelerations. This is what causes jerky response. Age also has a fatigue effect on the accelerator spring "rate", the LB7's I have driven seem to suffer the worst.

Satisfying driving experience: This is one of those things that is left in the unconcious. You may really like the way one vehicle drives over another, but you may never be able to put your finger on why. This is one of those areas. If I secretly changed your spring, you would be less fatigued, enjoy driving more, and really have no idea why. Psychology is tremendously humorous at times.

2 OPTIONS:

I went ahead and spec'd 2 new ones for custom tune packaging, after doing a bunch of test runs, and evaluating leg fatigue, pedal feedback and vehicle control. I have tested 8 total springs, and settled on 2 for production, a medium rate spring, M, with a 3X rate perfect for most light footed drivers, and a stiffer one yet, H, a 5X lb/in rate for heavy footed drivers, or bumpy roads.

You will be more impressed with the vehicle performance feel and feedback with the added control that these springs offer, especially if you use an unrefined hot tune, travel long distances, or are always on bumpy roads. Long drives will also be less fatiquing, obviously so.

They are custom made because they are not available in the correct size/configuration anywhere. I tried the hardware store variety, and they were just too big to be practical. These are exactly right. Needlenose pliers usually works unless you are a real lightweight. Takes about 2 minutes to do.

If you prefer, you can use the "get both" savings with this link, and give away the one you decide not to use. Please be patient, these take up to 10 days to arrive, as I only ship them once a week.

.......................99-05 Accelerator Springs.....................
Attached Images
15108d1272233155-99-05-accelerator-springs-upgrade-under-2-00-springs3.jpg
=
=

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Remind me to email Mark about it. I can't ever remember.

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
I'm gonna order the killerbee springs if he still offers them. Thanks c20 elephant, I never thought about springs, seems like something you'd find on a carburetor, not a duramax. Lol

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I wouldnt order anything from kb, but thats just me.....

touchy throttle is in the tuning. why havent you talked with Mark FIRST?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I wouldnt order anything from kb, but thats just me.....

touchy throttle is in the tuning. why havent you talked with Mark FIRST?

I havnt contacted Mark about it because I didn't want to waste his time if it wasn't a problem caused by tuning. Every other truck I've tuned with Marks tunes is butter smooth. We wondered if there was anther variable.

Muffin wait to order that spring until I call mark Monday. I've been needing to ask him a few things anyway.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Oh, give me a break. Thats what Mark does for a living.

You guys all know dang well that whenever you make changes to your combo, you probably have to change the tune.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Oh, give me a break. Thats what Mark does for a living.

You guys all know dang well that whenever you make changes to your combo, you probably have to change the tune.

Yea that's what he does for a living and if it's something I can figure out without having to bother him I try to. He is a busy person and I'm sure he gets multiple calls a day on down thing that was a simple fix and could have been found elsewhere.

The tune on this truck was built by Mark 100% for this set up. When we modify we retune period.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Also it's not like this was tuned yesterday. Truck has had this set up for the last 20k.

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
If the other 10,000 lb7's that mark has tuned with similar setups all had touchy throttles I bet we would've heard about it. Give me a break Tom. I don't need your attitude in my life.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

Also it's not like this was tuned yesterday. Truck has had this set up for the last 20k.

That was not stated by the o/p above. ^^ What else has changed since this problem started?

As for my "attitude", I guess I have developed one through my continuing frustration with what this forum has become. Its a far cry and a shitload worse off from what it was in 2008-2010. I know Im not the only longer-term member who thinks this, too.

Last edited:

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
Nothing has changed. It used to be very touchy with suspected home made crapy tunes. Got a built Trans and Danville tunes, it was mostly better. Now have air and fuel upgrades with updated Danville tunes and it's more touchy like it used to be.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ok, that means that Mark has to redo the tune at lower throttle ranges. He cant make a tune and account for everything initially, as all trucks run differently. Should be a simple fix for him to make in low boost fueling.
I seem to remember some years ago that his tunes were like that.