Stolen duramax need help.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That really sucks. Your best bet to get the word out and have people looking anymore is to post it on Facebook. A buddy of mine had a trailer and RZR stolen a couple of years ago and was able to find it through Facebook. Good luck; I hope it turns up soon and without much damage.

As far as the picture posting problems goes. Rob just did a server change a couple of weeks ago. There still may be some problems related to that, but if you will post it in the forum suggestions area, he will see it and know to look into it.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
Does anybody know the sort with OnStar? I have been told by a couple people now that they were able to activate OnStar over the phone. I have called OnStar 4 times now and the answer I get is its not possible. They tell me the only way to activate it is by pressing the blue button in the truck. A friend of mine bought a used Buick about a year ago. He had a trial membership to OnStar when he got the car. He downloaded the My Buick App for his phone to be able to remote start the car. OnStar has been expI red for almost 6 months now and he is still able to use the remote start through the app. I would assume the app has to be going through OnStar. So his being expired still communicates and functions with the car. Is there no way OnStar can communicate with my truck. The truck has a dvd with nav that still works. That has to be putting out a GPS signal. To me it just seems weird that OnStar can't do anything. I don't really know anything about that stuff. I am just looking for any option to find the truck.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
Depends how long on star runs for. My 11 the keys got locked into an I tried on star. They also told me I had to activate with button in the truck.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
I actually just read you can force it to be activated by knowing the vin number. You have to pay something that way no big deal or for some kind of legal reason they can as well. Maybe if police got involved or something hope this helps.

Miguelesp

Sep 19, 2015
About 12 years ago, my wife got her Escalade jacked in a parking lot .
Young punks.
After calling the police, the police called on star and were able to locate the
vehicles whereabouts. Found the guys cruising the local football game.

I didn't have onstar activated.

Hope the police will get involved for your sakes.
Good luck.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
I will email the sheriff now and call him when I wake up in the morning. I just don't see how they couldn't find it. There is navigation on it so there should be a GPS signal no matter what. The worst part is it almost has to be somebody I know. It was taken from a fenced and gated business between 8 and 11am. There were lots of people around. Spent a couple hours watching survalience cameras. The truck was parked two spots wide of the camera and they left the othe direction. To pull that off that had to be very comfortable being there or had balls the size of basketballs to steal it in daylight in front of people more or less. That being the case I would bet they drove it off sensible and aren't doing anything stupid with it like young kids would to get themselves in trouble. I think police running the plates and finding it is slim to none. I am thinking and hoping that finding it through On Star is about my only option. Thanks for the help guys. I will see what the sheriff comes up with and call On Star again too.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
Navigation systems receive satellite signals, they don't send out a signal. I truly hope onstar is able to help, sounds like that's your best bet right now.

Thieves need to get shot.......

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Did you leave your keys inside, as they're near impossible to steal without one. The only ways I know without is when you take it into the dealer, a dirty employee will program a new key and pass it to the thief and tow-away theft.

There is no real easy way to hack passlock 3 (that I am aware of), if so it was a pro - if that's the case they'll know how to disable the on-star or there's devices they plug into the cigarette lighter that scramble GPS signals, of course they could just be a simple thief that knows how to handle on-star too.

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
Did you leave your keys inside, as they're near impossible to steal without one. The only ways I know without is when you take it into the dealer, a dirty employee will program a new key and pass it to the thief and tow-away theft.

There is no real easy way to hack passlock 3 (that I am aware of), if so it was a pro - if that's the case they'll know how to disable the on-star or there's devices they plug into the cigarette lighter that scramble GPS signals, of course they could just be a simple thief that knows how to handle on-star too.

He is in North Dakota in December... Maybe the truck was running like everyone else's this time of year?

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Not sure how it works there, but in WV, (unless it has changed in the last 10 years) if the keys are in it or it's running, the thief is only charged with joy riding and if any damage is done then they get a destruction of property charge. I think it's bullshit really. If it's hot out, I leave my truck run, if it's cold out, it's running, I have gotten into the habit of using my spare key fob to lock it though if I'm going out of eye sight of it.

A guy I worked with two years ago had his LB7 stolen, the told the cops it had onstar and they found the truck under 10 miles from the hotel.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Not sure how it works there, but in WV, (unless it has changed in the last 10 years) if the keys are in it or it's running, the thief is only charged with joy riding and if any damage is done then they get a destruction of property charge. I think it's bullshit really. If it's hot out, I leave my truck run, if it's cold out, it's running, I have gotten into the habit of using my spare key fob to lock it though if I'm going out of eye sight of it.

A guy I worked with two years ago had his LB7 stolen, the told the cops it had onstar and they found the truck under 10 miles from the hotel.

I click on my remote start and leave with the keys and lock the truck. Stays running for 15 minutes. If I press the start button before removing my keys it will stay running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.

Not hard at all.. I lost my keys at an NHRDA event in Montana, we punched the lock with a screw driver to turn it to the on position, sent 12v to the ECM front axle, starter and a few other things and I was able to fire it up and drag the sled. Found the keys in the grass two min before my hook, but they wouldn't work anymore

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Not hard at all.. I lost my keys at an NHRDA event in Montana, we punched the lock with a screw driver to turn it to the on position, sent 12v to the ECM front axle, starter and a few other things and I was able to fire it up and drag the sled. Found the keys in the grass two min before my hook, but they wouldn't work anymore ��

01-07 are passlock 2, which are easily defeated, 07.5+ are passlock 3 with an encrypted password between the passlock module, bcm and tcm - the start command is even sent over gmlan to the ecm once the modules confirm matching passwords if memory serves. I forget the specifics, but that would never work on a lmm and newer.

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
The keys were in the cup holder in the truck. I usually leave them in there incase the truck needs to be moved for some reason. We have big trucks and trailer in our yard all the time. Just figures I would leave them the option for more room if the needed to back a trailer or something along those lines. It is a gated and fenced business and I was parked between the two shops a long ways from the road or gate. Out in a back lot or along a road I would have never left the keys in it. But where it was and the amount of people around I never suspected any issues. I am going to try OnStar again this morning. See if I can get a manager or something with a little more info. Not really impressed with the people I have talked to so far there. Hope they can figure it out.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Oh okay, that makes sense then. I'm not surprised, I'm from SD and family still lives up there; it's not completely uncommon for people to do that - hell a lot of people even leave their houses unlocked.

They did mention one issue is the influx of oil work brought a few criminals up north.

I wish I knew more about on-star's policies to help you out here, I do wish you luck though!

mudygmc

Dec 8, 2008
Buffalo MN
Well I called OnStar again. Talked to another lady. The way she put it there is no way for the truck to be found with with OnStar with the system inactive. It would have to be activated by the blue button in the truck for them to be able to locate it. I guess I don't fully believe that's true but I don't really know what to do or say.

carl.swoyer

Jan 31, 2016
Hopefully you didn't tell your insurance company the keys were inside the truck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
GM can turn on the onstar, they just wont do it. If they do its a public admission that they can track all vehicles. I know this bc a local mechanic I know had his children kidnapped by their drug addicted mother who drove them to California. The sbi/fbi used onstar to find the truck and it did not have active service. You have to have a government agency requset it be tracked and they wont do that for a stolen truck, thats a pay for play service...