Stock injector hold downs breaking point vs billet

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Yes they have broken but the cause for the breaking was a manufacturing flaw. The angles on the nut and the hold down were slightly different and that was what caused them to break. Stressing a tiny contact point instead if the whole contact area.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Don't drink the kool aid. If done correctly LB7 stock hold downs will be just fine been tested up past 1600+ engine dyno many different sled pull trucks 3" charger. DO a little leg work on metal properties involved in the topic. :thumb:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Don't drink the kool aid. If done correctly LB7 stock hold downs will be just fine been tested up past 1600+ engine dyno many different sled pull trucks 3" charger. DO a little leg work on metal properties involved in the topic. :thumb:

I recently had this talk with my builder and another engine shop and they both agreed. Plus I'd rather bend a hold-down like some stock have than break one or break the bolt, strip the threads out of the head etc.

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
I recently had this talk with my builder and another engine shop and they both agreed. Plus I'd rather bend a hold-down like some stock have than break one or break the bolt, strip the threads out of the head etc.

Its sad that the Diesel Motorsports is flooded with mis leading parts at high cost to add to it. Many so called well known shops replicate and internet flavor of the week promote with ZERO research or back bone withholding facts to promote there product then shine and polish fancy pieces.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I have stock hold downs in mine with studs. seen 55psi and 10's at damn near 130mph. Im not worried about them.

Out of curiosity, how much did you torque them down to? Did i read 55ft lbs?

I didn't think the recommended 28 or 36ft lbs was enough, so I took them to 42-44ft lbs for a lil added "safety" but wondered at what point would I pull the threads in the aluminum head? I didn't even think about the possibility of cracking or bending the hold down...:eek:.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
On their billet ones it is 55 ft/lbs. On stock lb7 it is 28 ft/lbs.

I saw that the LB7 was 28ft lbs

I found 36ft lbs for the LBZ??? And when torquing them down I decided it didn't feel like enough torque had been applied on the bolt head so I snugged them down to roughly 42ft lbs...

So the billet hold downs themselves withstand 55lbs which means I'm safe, in respect to the threads in the head, to torquing the hold down bolts down to 40+ ft lbs, right...:)

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If using studs you stand much less chance if messing up the threads because load is spread over each end if the stud. Bolts would have more problem but I don't think you would have a problem with the little but you went over.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Hot cocoal, that is a bad idea to torque them that much! I'm pretty sure lbz stock is like 22. I don't ever over torque anything on aluminum, it's just to soft to **** with IMO. The reason you can torque (34 I think?) with the billet socals, is because they are studs! They don't see rotational stress in the head when tightening, just a tensile pull.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Stock for the LBZ is 22 ft/lbs. If using stock bolts going that High in the torque would be a bad idea for sure.

Last edited: