Still Wheel Hopped

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
Well i went out and first thing I blew a boot off I couldnt keep it on then I come home and double clamped it and then it started snowing well we got 6 inchs so just as soon as the weather clears up ill post a lil video

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
Dropped the bars all the way down took spray paint and painted what was showing of the bolts so I would know what to crank it back up too dropped the air pressure to 32 psi and the truck left like a dream never spun a tire or and no more wheel hopping

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
My truck wheel hops with cal tracs, straightish cvs (i think I have lift keys cause the low setting is just barely flat iirc) tire psi 45 up front 35 rear. How are yall adjusting the cal tracs, I think mine were just touching the spring pack and another half turn. Here are 2 videos. I have a lowering keys Im gonna put on probably, would lowering the rear help it too?

[YOUTUBE]WbI2dyJz000[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]Wtv8_pfES8o[/YOUTUBE]

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Hell idk my boost gauge broke, I was holding it at 2,200 rpm when I staged... Might have lost/gained a few rpms with all the excitment but it couldnt be more than 100 if most I don't think

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
2200 probably 15 lbs :eek: try 2k . Mine did the same and I found that one of my cal tracs loosened from where I was sitting till I was in the lanes. In the first vid it looks like mine did when the rears broke loose and the front hooked after the guy sprayed the water box and I ran a rear tire through it. I see bad toe-in on the 2nd.

Last edited:

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
plus 1/2 turn or a little shy. I made the mistake initially was to preload the cal tracs after I lowered the front end but before I pulled forward/backed up to let the front end settle. Wouldn't think it would make a difference but if one side comes down more than the other the adjustment is misaligned.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I can leave at 10-11psi on a cold street w/ 75psi on my tires and hook great... at my local track I was leaving at 7-8psi with 55-58psi on the tires and spinning like a mofo.

All I can say is sometimes the track prep really blows and leaving out of the groove really sucks as well! Hope you get it dialed in!

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Looks like the Cal-Tracs are hurting more than they're helping. Without spring clamps or traction bars I've seen trucks leave smoother, even while spinning. In street tires I used to run 38 PSI front and 28 PSI rear and was able to cut 1.65 60' times.

Just double checked with a customer that I was just at the track with a few weeks back - he was cutting mid 1.6 60' times on street tires with no wheel hop; he said he set them exactly how the instructions told him.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Caltrac's

I think the problem most have with the caltrac's is how high there truck sits. If you look at the lower link it is goin up hill, on some alot! What that does is it makes the instant center way back in the truck. When you leave hard it pushes the rear end down very hard. Unless you have adj. shocks set as tight as possible it will hit the tires and unload. That's were the hop come from. My truck the lower link is flat with the ground. The instant center is more toward the front. It tries to lift the front but again you need good shocks and tighten it up. I don't have good shocks on the back of mine which hurts on a bad track. I need them bad, you must tune for the track. Boost, tires, shocks all need to play together. Everyone thinks a RC is king in drag racing, but I beat have a better time make a longer wheel base truck work. The longer wheel base is a lot more forgiving. On 4x4 we need weight on the front more so than the back. Caltrac's can and do work but a good spring clamp and shocks can also. If you notice most trucks sitting high have clamps and the really low trucks have caltrac's or ladder bar/4 link. Jeff

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I didn't get much practice moving mine this past couple months I've been back at the track Jeff but mine seemed to 60 better in the upper hole (more angled). It felt like it was hittin the rear tires too hard in the lower hole and never did better than 1.72 . Once I went to the upper hole I'm 1.68-1.70 or close to it. Feels so much smoother that way. Been doing like they say and 1/2 turn once contacting the spring. Still learning at this so I'll have to spend a lot more time at it next season.