Small puff of white smoke at upon starting

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Wow is right! You guys are the ones that turn alot of people I know away from these forums and then you sit there with your thumb in your Ass wondering why no-one joins or leaves right away. Not everyone is as "smart" as you! You ever hear the phrase if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all? (Try it out sometime)! Now that that's done, the truck is stock. Stock injectors, stock motor, stock everything besides lift, wheels and tires. Reason for lack of info is I don't own the truck I was looking to buy this it and I asked the guy to send me some short videos of it starting and running. And about a second after it started a small amount of white smoke came out and then stopped right away. 2008 Duramax 2500 (STOCK)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

It's normal, don't worry about it...

Dgozz122

May 25, 2016
OP. White smoke at start up is completely normal for a diesel. When you have cold cylinder walls and Pistons that's what you get. Don't worry about it unless it does it when warm or for prolong periods of time after start up...
Yes, I was hoping that's all it was thank you very much!

Dgozz122

May 25, 2016
Calm down op...

It could be unburnt fuel from cold cylinders as mentioned above, or oil from valve seals. A small puff probably wouldn't alarm me to much but I would keep an eye on it. My truck is tuned and will haze a little white for a 20-30 seconds when it's cold outside.

Thanks man!

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I never noticed a white puff upon startup with my LMM when it was stock. Meaning stock exhaust and DPF. I only noticed a little puff on cold start only when I deleted it. My $.02

Dgozz122

May 25, 2016
Also what do you think would cause the turbo to be noisier until the temps come up?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I actually went on duramax forum cuz i see people saying go there... And wow for the 10 minutes i was on it I saw alot of dumb discussions, one in particular was about how one dude was ranting about how his cup holder in the center console is towards the passanger side and if anyone has "modded" the cup holder so its closer to the drivers side.
You think thats bad, try some of the facebook groups with the 20 year old experts who know it all. You know the ones, "My headlights are bad AZZ, I get flashed ALLL the time because they so bright yo!", right after I had just posted don't be that guy with HID's in halogen housings blinding everybody, at least put them in some projector housings. Then you get the ones, you only need new housings if there yellow from the halogen bulbs fogging them. Or if you need new housings run the clear euro ones because they put out MAD LIGHT! And so on and so on. I got somebody to convince me to join a few of those groups, and I think my time is about done after less than a week. The icing on the cake was one guy saying his cat was already removed from his gas truck, so it wasn't against the law to put open duals on it. Or another guy saying his diesel doesn't have a cat, so his gas truck never came with one either because gas and diesels have the same emission systems on them.