Small puff of white smoke at upon starting

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
How in the blue blazes can anyone help with a problem when absolutely no information about the truck or the conditions when the smoke appears is given?

Without any info, we're about as helpful as this:
9519798-swami-gazing-into-a-crystal-ball.jpg

Cmon.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yeah, I read that. I know you're just kidding around, but in all seriousness.....cold start? warm start? whats been done to engine? Larger injectors? Zero info given means zero solutions posited.

I wonder sometimes if DD is dead.

All we get for new members anymore are the "takers"....newbies to diesel or those just wanting us to solve their problems for them. They'll never, ever "give back" to the forum in any meaningful way, let alone contribute any performance information or data. It flat sucks.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
A lot of things have changed in my short 5 years here Tom. The few of us that have stayed are the only ones really contributing.

Everytime I do anything with my truck I post all my steps and results.

People that have been getting on here lately expect us to have an answer for everything. (My truck won't start.....what is wrong with it?) It's obsurd.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
I actually went on duramax forum cuz i see people saying go there... And wow for the 10 minutes i was on it I saw alot of dumb discussions, one in particular was about how one dude was ranting about how his cup holder in the center console is towards the passanger side and if anyone has "modded" the cup holder so its closer to the drivers side.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
OP. White smoke at start up is completely normal for a diesel. When you have cold cylinder walls and Pistons that's what you get. Don't worry about it unless it does it when warm or for prolong periods of time after start up...

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Yeah, I read that. I know you're just kidding around, but in all seriousness.....cold start? warm start? whats been done to engine? Larger injectors? Zero info given means zero solutions posited.

I wonder sometimes if DD is dead.

All we get for new members anymore are the "takers"....newbies to diesel or those just wanting us to solve their problems for them. They'll never, ever "give back" to the forum in any meaningful way, let alone contribute any performance information or data. It flat sucks.

I've started to wonder about this myself. I keep thinking I'll stop looking at the forum, but....:)

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Holy crap....May 2008. I should have more post:rofl: I guess I'm kind of a big deal around here.

The search feature would avoid 90% of the new threads, but then I would miss answering the same questions over and over...

Most of my best friends came from this forum so this place holds a special place in my heart.

Dgozz122

May 25, 2016
Wow is right! You guys are the ones that turn alot of people I know away from these forums and then you sit there with your thumb in your Ass wondering why no-one joins or leaves right away. Not everyone is as "smart" as you! You ever hear the phrase if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all? (Try it out sometime)! Now that that's done, the truck is stock. Stock injectors, stock motor, stock everything besides lift, wheels and tires. Reason for lack of info is I don't own the truck I was looking to buy this it and I asked the guy to send me some short videos of it starting and running. And about a second after it started a small amount of white smoke came out and then stopped right away. 2008 Duramax 2500 (STOCK)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Calm down op...

It could be unburnt fuel from cold cylinders as mentioned above, or oil from valve seals. A small puff probably wouldn't alarm me to much but I would keep an eye on it. My truck is tuned and will haze a little white for a 20-30 seconds when it's cold outside.