Sled pulling questions

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
Hey guys I pulled my truck for the first time last year at my local fair and did pretty well. I had a few questions about what I should do this time. My truck is around 500hp an I pulled in 3 low tcc locked once I hit 2 gear. It seems like I pegged 3 gear easily and say there for a while. Somewhere Around the 250 mark my rpms were pulled down drastically. I threw it in neutral around Maby 1500 just because I didn't want it to stall out. I have duratrack tires and they were set to 35 front and 45 back. Leaf springs clamped and suspension stops set at 1 inch.

My questions are I don't think I spun any tires at the end. Should I be trying to spin out so my rpms don't drop so fast and screw me up power wise? Maby raise tire pressure ( I also plan to monitor rail pressure this year)

Should I unlock the converter at the end to help with the rpms?

Will the Allison downshift to second on its own? I have stock TCM tuning. If not would having a tsp shifter benefit me?

Is there any scenario where I let the truck hit 4th gear for more ground speed. I'm guessing not because I know it would just need to down shift

Thanks for any advice.. I only plan to pull once a year for fun fun so I don't have alot of time to trial and error

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Start in 3rd, stay in 3rd. as far as the unlock that depends on track and power level. if its a loose track unlikely. If its tight then yes unlock. dont downshift. Even my truck with more power I never run lower than 50psi in the back to prevent hopping and my front will vary from 16-20psi depending on track conditions

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
My suspension stop are rite in the middle of the axle where the original bump stops go. The axle would still be able to twist how I look at it. I don't think the helper spring will be touching the other spring pack with the 1 inch travel unless I clamp them. Even if they were touching wouldn't the axle be twisting up and be able to separate the rear helper from the pack. I know there are better opinions out there but for a once a year pull I figured they must help some. Both my clamps and stops are home made. They didn't cost anything.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Build your self a set of traction bars that are welded to the axle tubes. The eekd the tubes to the pumpkin. That will stop the rear end from twisting.

I've never ran spring clamps so I can't say if they'd help or not. But I have had traction bars since I started pulling. A couple years later added a 3rd link. This year made new traction bars and welded them to the axle tubes and I think they have helped a lot.

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
My truck pulled decent last year. Never hopped or lost traction. I really don't have the time to build a set of traction bars. In what way would they benefit me? My truck is my daily driver. I'm really just looking to optimize what I got for my local pull this year.

Thanks for the input guys

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Anything to make the rear more solid and secure while hooked to a sled is good. I ran suspension stops, long straight axle wrap bars, and clamped the spring pack front and rear.

I see absolutely no downside to clamping the spring pack. And it's super cheap to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
My truck is my daily driver. I'm really just looking to optimize what I got for my local pull this year.

Thanks for the input guys

That's where I got started too. Now if you show up at my local fair pull you better have your ducks in a row there are around 35-40 trucks and half a dozen are full built engines dual fuelers street trucks. Every year the bar just gets raised higher and higher...

One plus traction bars are a street truck look sweet too.. but if installed properly will have prevent rear end issue also..

Where is your local pull?

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
That's where I got started too. Now if you show up at my local fair pull you better have your ducks in a row there are around 35-40 trucks and half a dozen are full built engines dual fuelers street trucks. Every year the bar just gets raised higher and higher...

One plus traction bars are a street truck look sweet too.. but if installed properly will have prevent rear end issue also..

Where is your local pull?

Truck pulls are at the hunterdon county Fair in NJ. There's is only one class. Stock turbo street trucks. No tech inspection besides weight and hitch height so a few highly modded trucks that don't meet the rules. There's a few trucks trailered in. I know one duramax with twin turbos. I placed 9th or 10th out 33 trucks and was happy about that.

I use my truck here and there to run scrap metal. Some times up to 4500 lbs. If I had traction bars wouldn't that screw up the pinion angle when I load it up like that?

Dart.340

Canadian
Aug 3, 2015
Near Ottawa
I agree. My truck with track bars and stops was pretty good. Adding a set of leaf spring clamps front and rear helped out that little bit more and honestly only cost another 75$