Question: shift kits

speedmetal6.6

Dodge Destroyer
Nov 3, 2008
Gillette,Wyoming
The only novice shift kits I could find were from bully dog and transgo I bought the transgo allison jr because bully dog didnt have one for an 06 allison 1000 6 speed, any how I saw that PPE had one is it basically the same as the transgo or should I return it and get the PPE shift kit P.S My tranny is an allison 1000 right, the truck is an 06 3/4 ton Also I'm saving up for some more tranny upgrades because I know that the trans jr isnt enough for what I already have for mods. What do you guys reccomend for my current platform. (the only other engine upgrades I'm looking to do is of course a lift pump and stuff but maybe a turbo upgrade and bigger injectors

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
i'm sure the PPE one is the TransGo one. most people have run into the 500hp range with the JR kit w/o issues, so i think that with what you have you'll be good for a while. obviously it will not last forever though. most people have done the suncoast stage 4 or 5 kit and have had great results. that has help upwards of 600hp. also really depending on how far you want to go usually upgraded injectors aren't needed. i believe casper is still running stock sticks.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
i'm sure the PPE one is the TransGo one. most people have run into the 500hp range with the JR kit w/o issues, so i think that with what you have you'll be good for a while. obviously it will not last forever though. most people have done the suncoast stage 4 or 5 kit and have had great results. that has help upwards of 600hp. also really depending on how far you want to go usually upgraded injectors aren't needed. i believe casper is still running stock sticks.

Yea jr kit and built trans mabey I dont think your trans will last long at 500rwhp and stock trans internals mine got killed at 450 rwhp in short order

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
hey never said they beat on it w/ 500hp:poke:

to be honest some trannies handle it better than others. i'm still rockin a stock trans and stacked programmers and even a PPE 270hp tune hasn't killed it yet.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal

to be honest some trannies handle it better than others. i'm still rockin a stock trans and stacked programmers and even a PPE 270hp tune hasn't killed it yet.

have you dynoed your truck ? i would bet you have done damage to your clutches. both my c3-4s where burnt and never limped once

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

You must not drive it very hard. I can smoke an '05 Alli in minutes with a PPE tune.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Check my sig. 35 000 miles at about 400-500hp in all the time. Lots of towing through the mountains.
Still trucking.

Ally Jr. is the bomb.:D

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Yea jr kit and built trans mabey I dont think your trans will last long at 500rwhp and stock trans internals mine got killed at 450 rwhp in short order

Mine lasted 5000 miles with the transgo jr and 500rwhp
and it smoked the converter
I ran about 15 12.9 passes

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ya I'm glad I got the Converter, I think that is what made the difference. Even though it is purple......

speedmetal6.6

Dodge Destroyer
Nov 3, 2008
Gillette,Wyoming
What do you think

So you guys are pretty much saying my tranny could already be on its way out even though I've never limped or had a noticeable slip. If so that sucks but I havent been running on the 225 tune because it smokes white when I start it and If I get on it even barely it gives me the 0087 code, so I took it down to the 160 tune and it doesnt smoke or give me the 0087 code , any way is this still to much for the tranny or should I turn it down more P.S I've never had the chance to get the truck on a dyno, based on what I have done how much HP do you think I am running ( thanks )

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
I had about 8,000 miles on my new/stock trans. I was running Edge/attitude combo on stage 5 what ever that means for about 7,000 miles of it. Never limped or slipped it once. Had SC IV installed and the installer showed me my clutches. Some burnining, not bad, but that was with low power. I'm guessing you don't have to slip or limp to burn up the trans.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
So you guys are pretty much saying my tranny could already be on its way out even though I've never limped or had a noticeable slip. If so that sucks but I havent been running on the 225 tune because it smokes white when I start it and If I get on it even barely it gives me the 0087 code, so I took it down to the 160 tune and it doesnt smoke or give me the 0087 code , any way is this still to much for the tranny or should I turn it down more P.S I've never had the chance to get the truck on a dyno, based on what I have done how much HP do you think I am running ( thanks )

white smoke at start up not good. I would just drive it and let it be but just be prepared at some time to do the tran/ the easier you are on it the longer it will last.