Second cooler

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
They make inline strainers like those for dry sump oil systems, but don't use one meant for fuel as it would cut thr flow way down with the thicker viscosity fluid flowing through it. Stock hose size is 5/8" id on all trucks. 01-early 03 only had -8(7/16" id) fittings in the bellhousing, while 03+ all used -10(9/16" id).

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
-10 thankyou fermanator.
Yeah I'm not sure what to use(strainer wise) because of oil flow rate, but i wanted to catch the chunky clutch materials.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Another question I have is, can you run the stack cooler with an aftermarket cooler in series? Would it slow oil flow to much?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Anytime you add something in line to flow, you cause resistance. Just like electricity.
In hydraulics resistance causes slower flow. In electricity, resistance causes less amps to the load.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I've been following this with some interest because with my built trans and big assed bumper, my trans runs pretty warm. I live close by to Mishimoto, and they offered me to bring my truck for a couple days soon, for them to use it to help in creating their new replacement cooler. I want to make sure that I have enough understanding of the flow requirements of the Ally so they don't give me a great new free cooler that starves the trans and doesn't help shit! LOL

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
As I understand it all fittings have to be -10 with corresponding lines. Not sure you can go any bigger maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
As I understand it all fittings have to be -10 with corresponding lines. Not sure you can go any bigger maybe someone else can chime in on this.

You cant go smaller for obvious reasons, but why couldn't you go bigger? If you put bigger lines, fittings and cooler, the larger components wont magically flow more than the smallest component in the system, but it would be less restrictive, so if you install a cooler with longer passages for the fluid to flow through, the larger passages will have less resistance than one with smaller, 'correct' sized passages of the same length.

An example of this is one length of 5" fire hose will flow a ton more water with less resistance than a par of 3" hoses of the same length.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
You cant go smaller for obvious reasons, but why couldn't you go bigger? If you put bigger lines, fittings and cooler, the larger components wont magically flow more than the smallest component in the system, but it would be less restrictive, so if you install a cooler with longer passages for the fluid to flow through, the larger passages will have less resistance than one with smaller, 'correct' sized passages of the same length.

An example of this is one length of 5" fire hose will flow a ton more water with less resistance than a par of 3" hoses of the same length.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Im simply stating you may not be able to go bigger because the supplied ports are 7/8-14 = -10 (i belive that is stock factory size)

(This is just b/sing around)
As for the example im not sure that applys. The length of 5" i.d. Tube flows (lets say ten psi) through it constant. So if you have a pair of three inch inner diameter in parallel of the same length the flow rate wont change but you will lose psi as you are gaining 1" of inner diameter. So you should have the same volume but you will loose psi.... unless your pump can keep up with the ten psi demand and in that case you will "flow" more fluid. Just saying but what do i know snapple cant always get it right.
Other then this your correct sir. Flow will "bottle neck" at the smallest component.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You won't lose psi because you will be reducing back down at the exit of the cooler. You will lose velocity inside the cooler. Maybe other issues like cavitation since some areas the fluid will be more static then others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I've been following this with some interest because with my built trans and big assed bumper, my trans runs pretty warm. I live close by to Mishimoto, and they offered me to bring my truck for a couple days soon, for them to use it to help in creating their new replacement cooler. I want to make sure that I have enough understanding of the flow requirements of the Ally so they don't give me a great new free cooler that starves the trans and doesn't help shit! LOL

I sent them a PM at DP and asked if they wanted some help. They never got back to me.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
communication hasn't been great. They sent me a picture of my name on a sticky note on the Project Manager's computer monitor, and promised they'd be in touch soon. LOL. When I get something firm I'll call you.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I sent Nick from Mishimoto a PM last night. He replied today that they'd love to talk to you. He said he found a PM from you too. They should be in contact and get my truck in "soon". :thumb: