Second cooler

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
Would it hurt the transmission to add a second cooler inline maybe under the truck to help take some load off? Trying to help keep the coolant temps down along with the trans temps when towing.

Attachments

• WP_20170613_18_46_55_Pro-set.jpg
    WP_20170613_18_46_55_Pro-set.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 142

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Won't hurt the trans at all but won't help coolant temps. All that heat you take out of the trans oil gets passed along through the a/c condenser, to the intercooler to the radiator. You will reach a point of diminished returns to keep the coolant temps down with a larger trans cooler in the cooling stack

I'd much rather add an external engine oil cooler separate of the cool song stack along with the better trans cooler you are adding to help keep coolant temps down

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
Yes it bad. just look into getting a Mike L cooler (PPE cooler is his as well) and it will lower coolant temps because the oil passes through the radiator first.

Good answer.:D Using two restrictive coolers in series makes no sense. You just slowed the return fluid even more to the waiting planetary gears that are anxiously awaiting lube. The idea is great except the coolers.
Want to do a test? Take your old cooler an blow through it. Try the same thing with a Setrab.
Return fluid from the cooler IS lube for the planetary gears. If it doesn't get ther in time, to hell with the cooler temps as you lose.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_fid=8839&share_type=t&share_pid=274636

Raiseing tranny cooler

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
If you use a high flow cooler, then no it is not bad. Problem is most trans coolers are not designed to handle the flow requirements of the ALLISON. Most coolers designed for cooling engine oil can handle the flow requirements of an allison.

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
The plan was to add one of the coolers I built 12x12x2 under the truck with a fan right inline on the > To cooler side of the transmission, keeping the one up front in the picture. i think the ones on the Kodiak are bigger than the MikeL units used on HD trucks. Ill have to contact the maker of the core to see what they are supposed to flow. My concern was really the transmission pump having to go push fluid through 3 coolers. Im already using one of these coolers on the oil side, as thats a given requirement.

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
Bumping this up, trying to decide if i just replace the factory cooler with the one I built or not.

Attachments

• WP_20170618_15_34_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170618_15_34_47_Pro.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 80

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Might decide if you can run them in parallel, with large access and return lines. If have no idea if this is practical in your truck, but I contemplated running 2 stock coolers in line and gave up on the project in favor of a MikeL cooler. They do work very well and couldn't be easier to install.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I put a very large transmission oil cooler under the right rear (passenger's side) step of a 2009 Kodiak last summer with a 2 speed 17" fan on it. I can't say for sure that it did anything to help engine coolant temps, but it sure helped the transmission run cooler.

Attachments

• IMG_5009.jpg
    IMG_5009.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5010.jpg
    IMG_5010.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
I put a very large transmission oil cooler under the right rear (passenger's side) step of a 2009 Kodiak last summer with a 2 speed 17" fan on it. I can't say for sure that it did anything to help engine coolant temps, but it sure helped the transmission run cooler.

Thats exactly how i plan on mounting the Oil cooler, and possibly the transmission cooler, did you keep the front air to air cooler?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Make sure you rout these coolers into the return line and use hard line or high pressure hydraulic hose with heavy crimps. Hose clamps will not work.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Thats exactly how i plan on mounting the Oil cooler, and possibly the transmission cooler, did you keep the front air to air cooler?

Oddly enough, this truck for some reason did not have a factory oil to air cooler for the transmission. It only had the oil to water cooler/exchanger in the radiator.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Oddly enough, this truck for some reason did not have a factory oil to air cooler for the transmission. It only had the oil to water cooler/exchanger in the radiator.

I've seen many of these without oil to air cooler from the factory. What the hell were they thinking? :rolleyes:

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
I've seen many of these without oil to air cooler from the factory. What the hell were they thinking? :rolleyes:

What would you suggest if your truck does have the front air to air? Add a second one on the return side like you talked about or replacing the primary one up front with what seems to be a bigger cooler. If putting a cooler up front would it be better to put the inlet and outlet horizontal so it flows top down?.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Also make sure you use HIGH TEMP hose. At least 350 degree rating. I did my 1st hoses using AN hose rated to 350 PSI but only 280 degrees. Was told they used it all the time for oil coolers with no issues. Well every 2 to 3 months I had another hose leaking at an AN fitting. Every time I redid one the hose looked like it was a heat failure as it looked stretched and thin where it leaked. Read in the ALLISON manual that fluid outlet temps from the bell housing going out to the cooler run 80-100 degrees over sump temps which explained my constant hose failures. I replaced them with RUSSEL high temp 350 degree 300 PSI AN hose, and haven't had another one leak since.

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
Also make sure you use HIGH TEMP hose. At least 350 degree rating. I did my 1st hoses using AN hose rated to 350 PSI but only 280 degrees. Was told they used it all the time for oil coolers with no issues. Well every 2 to 3 months I had another hose leaking at an AN fitting. Every time I redid one the hose looked like it was a heat failure as it looked stretched and thin where it leaked. Read in the ALLISON manual that fluid outlet temps from the bell housing going out to the cooler run 80-100 degrees over sump temps which explained my constant hose failures. I replaced them with RUSSEL high temp 350 degree 300 PSI AN hose, and haven't had another one leak since.

Good point, I plan on using Parker 836 should meet the requirements.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Hey guys. So ive been reading this since you started this project and ive been thinking of making my own trans cooler lines out of hi temp hydro lines just need to figure out what i need so my local hose builder can crimp me some lines. I want to add an extra add a extra cooler w/fan inline. My question is can you add a inline strainer to catch clutch materials? The reason I'm asking is i think i have a few clogged cooler passes. This is the strainer filter I'm looking at what you all think. Also what diameter hose can i run? Any difference for a built trans over stock, for size diameter for 5 spd alli.
https://www.holley.com/products/fue...rs/filters/carbureted_filters/parts/230632ERL