Sealing 1/2" NPT tap

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Hoping for some ideas here guys. I went a little too deep tapping the 1/2" NPT tap for the oil return line for my turbo in the top of the oil pan. Just barely too deep, is pretty tight, but leaks just enough to leave a small spot on driveway everyday. I have tried sealing this with teflon tape, Permatex black adhesive silicone, etc. Still getting a little leak.

Looking for any experience/ideas you guys might have to seal this. I guess worst case plug it and drill another hole and actually tap it correctly, but the plug would still leak, I would have to maybe use the help of my old friend JB (JB Weld).

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Have you tried a regular thread paste, like loctite 577 / 565? Is the fitting bottoming out (no more threads)?

I have not tried this actually, that is a good idea though. Yes the fitting is unfortunately bottoming out.

Question, will it make a difference in applying this loctite if the area is oily? That area is very oily obviously, would it be worth it to drain the oil and degrease the area prior to installing??

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Thread tape it only three full wraps and thread paste on top of the tape if it is just a little leak. And make sure you are putting the thread tape on the right way or it will losen itself when you thread it in and mess it up.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
X2, clean as possible. 3 wraps of tape is normal, but be careful on what kind you get if you go that route. Some of the cheaper stuff is very thin!

I would personally run the Loctite 577 (has a yellowish color IIRC), sets up better after a few hours. Try to throw a thin coat of paint over it when you're done and let it sit for a while, some thread sealers are anaerobic $.02

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Thank you guys. I did use some teflon tape previously, along with some of the Permatex Black Silicone adhesive sealant at the top of the threads. This did not work well but I tried to set it when it was all oil covered. I think there is a lot to be gained by cleaning the area first. Also hopefully the Loctite works better than the Permatex.

PureHybrid, what kind of paint are you talking over the fitting? A latex based? Or just spray paint?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Don't suppose you can goto the next bigger size fitting can you? probly already thought of that. but the only eher thing I would say is the Anerobic gel, that stuff is amazing and has bailed me out a time or two. really works, cat has their version which I'm sure is made by loctite but they have the "Flexible gasket maker" or the "Gasket Maker" get some of that and give it a try.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you can find some stuff called Leak Lock, it is some pretty good stuff. I've also had good luck using Permatex #2 sealant.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Thank you guys. I did use some teflon tape previously, along with some of the Permatex Black Silicone adhesive sealant at the top of the threads. This did not work well but I tried to set it when it was all oil covered. I think there is a lot to be gained by cleaning the area first. Also hopefully the Loctite works better than the Permatex.

PureHybrid, what kind of paint are you talking over the fitting? A latex based? Or just spray paint?

Just spray paint.

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Don't suppose you can goto the next bigger size fitting can you? probly already thought of that. but the only eher thing I would say is the Anerobic gel, that stuff is amazing and has bailed me out a time or two. really works, cat has their version which I'm sure is made by loctite but they have the "Flexible gasket maker" or the "Gasket Maker" get some of that and give it a try.

Honestly not really enough room to go to the next size. The area is so tight and there is just barely enough clearance next to the starter as is.

What exactly is meant by anaerobic sealant? Anyone care to explain? What is special about the process I mean, tha makes it different than any other sealant?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Anaerobic means "absence of air" basically. It means they cure best when no oxygen is present. Whatever kind you buy, go to the manufacturer website and it should tell you.

I suppose worst case, you could have a 1/2NPT fitting machined with more taper so it would tighten up???