S&B made a believer of me

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The hard part of making a scoop would be creating the "funnel" to mount it to the bottom of the box. I was thinking that an A/C/heating duct contractor could help design something in that regard. Then use some 6" oval ducting to route to the bumper with a custom scoop.

Figure out how to make that stuff out of plastic, and you'd be golden.

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
I tried that Tom. It was too fat in circumference. The tires rubbed terrible and the bends are too outta whack to do any good at all. A smooth design would seem to work well. While I duck taped the shit out of it to get a good seal (yeah, it was ghetto rigged for sure) I did a before and after IAT before and after and it made no difference at all.

I've never really looked at the Banks scoop but I'd imagine its much flatter and not the typical tubular shape.

I did hear that S&B was supposed to be coming out with a scoop though. I never did get it verified through any of their vendors.

Last edited:

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
No more than $260. About half the price of Banks systems. They use the same filter. Chad @ Alligator has great prices on those. I'm also running an S&B drop in for my Ford 4.6 as well.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Here's looking down into the scoop I made:
P1030183.jpg

Installed:
P1030047.jpg

Here it is from the fenderwell installed:
P1030049.jpg

Here is the best pic I could find to show the front of the truck with it installed:
Scoop.jpg

Here are a few more I just took - it needs repainted before it goes back - not the best looking thing in the world but for a roll of heavy gauge flashing, a rivet gun, drill and some tin snips.... oh and a 12 pack - I don't think it turned out too bad. Without the 12 pack it may have been better but I was going for function not looks. The tab sticking up with the hole in it goes on the out bumper support bracket stud.
P1030181.jpg

P1030182.jpg

P1030184.jpg

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
ya'll do realize that the Banks scoop can be re-shaped with a heat gun. My tires dont rub and they are 285's...............the old 305's didnt rub either.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Between this, bigger injectors with a 1960 PW, and the 68mm Cheetah I couldn't get EGTs to go over 1400 going from 0 to burying the speedo in 4WD. Added the headers and up-pipes and adjusted the turbo tuning and couldn't get them over 1250*.

I don't remember the exact drop in IATs but sealing the box to the fender and to the tray with this feeding into the bottom was a significant drop from just having the S&B intake installed normally.

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Found a used S&B intake locally for $150

I am very happy with the results

EGT's dropped 100 degrees

Got a few more pounds of boost

and it seems to pull harder with less smoke

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Found a used S&B intake locally for $150

I am very happy with the results

EGT's dropped 100 degrees

Got a few more pounds of boost

and it seems to pull harder with less smoke

Seems to be the norm from what I hear.:)
The lid didn't really seal as well as I would have liked on my S&B but I am quite happy with the final results!

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
I totally removed my airbox tray and bolted my box next to the hood bumper using the plastic tab on the S&B box. I can look through the plexiglass and see strait through to the ground, no restrictions at all.