S&B made a believer of me

12secondhandshaker

<---Stock trans
Jan 21, 2009
Sparta, MI
I have been running a stock airbox with a LBZ inlet elbow and a TxC CAI for about a year or so now and ran a best ET of 12.82 and a best trap of 107.75mph

In my quest for mid 12's on a stock turbo manual trans truck I decided to run an intake after much research here and on DP "cough cough" anyways it seems the performance minded folk run S&B or Banks so I bought the S&B mainly due to the cost. I bought the LBZ kit to run on my LLY and modded my MAF tables in EFi live so it wouldnt cause problems or throw codes.

The mounting base needs to be modified to add a hole for the rubber attaching gromet in the correct location and I have to cut out some material yet so the bottom hole of the intake can suck from the bottom of the intake box also. The LLY plate is almost solid metal so the intake will only suck air from the fender vents.

The difference in the tubing bends and size is remarkably different but I was optimistic still until I took the truck for a spin.......holy cow did it wake the truck up. Boost is instantaneous and it pulls really really hard thru the rpm range now.

I may try to adapt a Banks scoop to the airbox for some added effect at the track but I am quite happy with this system vs. my modded stock setup. I am going to get some data logs on the street of IAT with the stocker vs. S&B but I think it far outperforms what I had and may get me closer to my goal of 12.50 this season.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
:D Cool! Glad to hear your results! I had to order me a new filter element for my LB7 kit the other day, i somehow managed to mangle mine and it has two big open patches in the filter media:eek: my fault:( So mine is a fairly old kit and I ordered the new superceded filter and a wrap for it so i dont hafta pick bugs out of it.....Wholly Sh!t...the new one is HUGE and has a "power cone" inside with more filter/pleats/flow....and was only $40! What a great company/product! :jiggy:

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Glad to hear someone is happy. :)

IAT dampening and resistance are mutually exclusive to some degree in this application.

I have had customers report similar exuberance just by replacing the old loaded element, with new factory stock. The txc shroud increases the resistance of the stock box. You removed a clog in the drain.

I suspect you have had similar results just going back to the stock box with a new 1618C, headlight removed.

A new stock element (1618C, no other) moves quite a bit of air, but I probably would look elsewhere if I had a turbo.

I would be interested in IAT comparisons, but would not expect to see much IAT dampening with the SB. FWIW, the fan is the real test for IAT damapening.

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Darius - I went from a modded stock box and inlet to the setup you have now and dropped .32 off my ET and picked up a couple mph. After that I also sealed off the fender from any underhood air, cut the hole in the fender out larger beside the filter box, and sealed the box to it. I cut the center of the tray out and then made my own ram air scoop that seals to the bottom of it and then sealed the bottom of the box to the tray. I am very happy with the results.

12secondhandshaker

<---Stock trans
Jan 21, 2009
Sparta, MI
I have never pulled the headlight with a stock airbox, I have not seen a need to do so.

I feel the stock airbox with a factory filter is a great setup but in my case....500+whp it becomes a bit restrictive. This is plain and simple to see when you compare the two side by side.

The LBZ mouthpiece is larger than the stock LLY plumbing, the S&B is slightly larger and can draw air in from two places thus causing it to breathe easier IMO. In the 1/4 mile heat probably isnt a huge issue but airflow is so for what I am trying to accomplish I think this is the right choice.

I would be more than willing to run the stocker, headlight out, new paper filter at the track vs. the S&B sometime and post the results......;)

12secondhandshaker

<---Stock trans
Jan 21, 2009
Sparta, MI
Darius - I went from a modded stock box and inlet to the setup you have now and dropped .32 off my ET and picked up a couple mph. After that I also sealed off the fender from any underhood air, cut the hole in the fender out larger beside the filter box, and sealed the box to it. I cut the center of the tray out and then made my own ram air scoop that seals to the bottom of it and then sealed the bottom of the box to the tray. I am very happy with the results.

I am working on doing the same thing:)

NJ_LLY

Back in action
Nov 4, 2008
Browns Mills, NJ
Its def going to make a difference and if you get the same improvement your looking at 12.50 :eek:. Good luck D

Last edited:

12secondhandshaker

<---Stock trans
Jan 21, 2009
Sparta, MI
Thanks Keiran, looks like your new ride is running well.

I already have the LBZ elbow so I only anticipate a tenth and maybe .5 to 1mph with the addition of the intake.

I also bought a nice set of drag radials to run on PYO's so that may help also in my quest.........:lildevil:

12secondhandshaker

<---Stock trans
Jan 21, 2009
Sparta, MI
I bought M&H racemaster drag radials.

They should get the job done:D. I have run proxies for 2 years now and have cut a best of 1.701 60' hoping for mid 1.6's with the stickies; plus my new "race tune" builds 12psi of boost in neutral for some serious launches....should be a fun season.

Texasmax

Sep 20, 2007
DFW-Texas
Where do you guys pick up your Falken's or Proxies? I'd like to put a set on my stocker PYO's.

I plan on doing the same tests this summer with the LBZ intake parts I have on hand.

Dix

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
From looking at a log from the track with the modded stock air box and headlight out with a newer filter to head light in and S&B my MAF lbs/min increased with the S&B.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Darius, I told you the S&B would be a good buy. ;)

After you run your 12.45, You'll have to give me a chance to try those new sticky tires....

Last edited:

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
Assuming the S&B LB7/LLY air boxes are the same as the LBZ are, when it comes time to cleaning it, you'll notice that its getting the majority of the air from underneath. The bottom of the box is open to the ground and you can see right through to the pavement. When I cleaned mine, the underside of the filter was black vs the end of the filter which I expected.

Looking through the top, I have a clean view to the ground. I've since moved my HID ballast for my fog lights and cut out the plastic part giving it unobstructed air flow.

You can see looking at the side view, the small hole in the fender which evidently dosent supply much air flow into the filter itself.

I'd do anything to be able to fab up some kind of scoop for these. I've often wondered if Banks scoops would somehow mate up to S&B boxes. Also, Banks scoops were never really designed for tires larger than 245's either. I dont know anyone who actually still runs 245's.

Attachments

• HPIM1333.JPG
    HPIM1333.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 45
  • fender view.JPG
    fender view.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 38

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
If I can make it to opening day on the 5th I'll bring the truck. I was only going to come to watch anyway as I know the van wont be ready by then.

If you want to try the banks super scoop, we'll break out the wrenches!!!

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Assuming the S&B LB7/LLY air boxes are the same as the LBZ are, when it comes time to cleaning it, you'll notice that its getting the majority of the air from underneath. The bottom of the box is open to the ground and you can see right through to the pavement. When I cleaned mine, the underside of the filter was black vs the end of the filter which I expected.

Looking through the top, I have a clean view to the ground. I've since moved my HID ballast for my fog lights and cut out the plastic part giving it unobstructed air flow.

You can see looking at the side view, the small hole in the fender which evidently dosent supply much air flow into the filter itself.

I'd do anything to be able to fab up some kind of scoop for these. I've often wondered if Banks scoops would somehow mate up to S&B boxes. Also, Banks scoops were never really designed for tires larger than 245's either. I dont know anyone who actually still runs 245's.

Scoop fits fine on my lbz with 265's