LB7: Rough Idle with White Smoke (Injector or Cracked Piston)

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
well yeah but a comp test does not automatically mean a bent rod, could be valves not sealing could be score cylinder wall. cracked piston

A bent rod is a hell of a lot more likely than anything else when you are pushing the power past safe limits

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
yeah for sure. seems if your at the limit though wouldn't more then one rod bend unless that particular cylinder was the healthiest and making the most cylinder pressure? or the injector in one particualr cylinder was somehow injecting a small amout more fuel and makeing more cylinder pressure? this is a good thread.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
To the op. Do a compression test. That will most likely tell you were your problem lies either bent rod or cracked piston.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
yeah for sure. seems if your at the limit though wouldn't more then one rod bend unless that particular cylinder was the healthiest and making the most cylinder pressure? or the injector in one particualr cylinder was somehow injecting a small amout more fuel and makeing more cylinder pressure? this is a good thread.

Generally they all get shortened at different rates. In my case they were all short but the #2 was extra short and lettibg the piston slap the crank.

To the OP, do a leakdown test on all of the cylinders. Judging by the blowby you have a crackes piston but the leakdown test will tell you which piston(s) is/are or isnt/arent cracked. 350-450psi iirc is kind of the area for a stock LB7 but more important than anything is the difference between cylinders. Anything more than 50psi difference means theres an issue.

A shortened rod will just show low pressure but will hold pressure. A leaking cup or valve will slowly pressurize then leak down. The cracked piston will act the same as thoae two but probably at a more sramatic rate.

Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I see how do you know you have a bent rod then? not being a smart as just curious?

My compression was as follows iirc

1.-300
2.-330
3.-310
4.-250 (more like 240ish)
5.-300
6.-260ish
7.-300
8.-320

the truck runs awesome still just white smoke at idle bad and starts like ass when cold. also gm says they need be within 10% so no more then 30psi apart in my case

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
8 cylinder probably has a hole in the piston. Maybe pull that glowplug and see if its got a bunch of oil on it. I bet its a piston by the symptoms.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Sandracer799

LB7 Power
Mar 25, 2008
Sandston,Va
8 cylinder probably has a hole in the piston. Maybe pull that glowplug and see if its got a bunch of oil on it. I bet its a piston by the symptoms.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I pulled the glow plug and it had no oil on it. The truck does not knock. It just has blow by, a miss, and of course smoke. Part of me is beginning to think that it may be a broken injector hold down.

Opinions??