LB7: Rough Idle with White Smoke (Injector or Cracked Piston)

Sandracer799

LB7 Power
Mar 25, 2008
Sandston,Va
Driving up the road today I accelerate onto the interstate like normal. I look behind me and I see white smoke. I pull over. The truck is idling rough, white bluish smoke, some oil and smoke is coming out the breather tube, and has a raw fuel smell to it.

I have put my EFI scan tool on it, but I am not 100% sure I know what I am doing.

Cylinders 1 -3 stayed at -7 to -7 the entire time I recorded.
Cylinder 4 was 4.77 to 4.85
Cylinder 5 was -7 to -7
Cylinder 6 was -6.63 to -6.54
Cylinder 7 was -7 to -7
Cylinder 8 was 15 to 15.

Am I just a moron and not doing this right or is this the real readings? If so is 7 injectors bad? (Not within the +4 to-4 spec at idle)

Any help at all would have been greatly appreciated!!

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
broke piston first sounding like you had raw fuel coming out of the vent but yeah if its not burning it in a cylinder there will be fuel vapor coming out. bummer man sorry bout your luck

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Looks like more than just a cracked piston... Looks like there may be some shortened rods and some injectors on there way out as well. Have you checked the balance rates before?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
If one cylinder is misfiring badly it will cause erratic readings for the other cylinders as well. Sounds like something happened in the #8 cylinder. Those were close to the same readings I had when I bent my #8 connecting rod.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Low compression in a cylinder will cause strange balance rate readings. the computer is trying to compensate for the lack of return it wants to see from that cylinder so it will try to inject more fuel to keep the rpms steady. if one cylinder is not doing its job then the computer will try to compensate to pick up the slack from a low compression cylinder wether it be come bent rod or a piston that has too much blowby

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
well yeah but a comp test does not automatically mean a bent rod, could be valves not sealing could be score cylinder wall. cracked piston