retarded ladder bars?

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
ok im no suspension expert by any means, but take a look at this pic of a pro-comp bar setup...and tell me its not almost completely pointless:confused:. this is from a guy on another forum with some serious launching troubles..

Image: http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/meanmachine1978/Ladderbars004.jpg
Image: http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/meanmachine1978/Ladderbars003.jpg
Image: http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/meanmachine1978/Ladderbars002.jpg
Image: http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/meanmachine1978/Ladderbars001.jpg

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Those are for off road use , never built for what he is suing them for , all they do is "locate" the axle , and help stop axle wrap , and help is the key word due to the design . Its not a bad product just not design for drag racing .

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
well i can see it stopping the axle from moving forward but whats to stop it from rotating? that bar can pivot so i would imagine it would just rotate and lift the bar up....

BTW did you get that paypal i sent you? just to be sure i never use it so i dont trust it that much lol. sorry for the OT

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
well i can see it stopping the axle from moving forward but whats to stop it from rotating? that bar can pivot so i would imagine it would just rotate and lift the bar up....

Nothing. That's not what it's designed to do. It's just for front to back stabilization.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah

BTW did you get that paypal i sent you? just to be sure i never use it so i dont trust it that much lol. sorry for the OT

It semi stops the axle from wrapping because it "box's" the axle in and has to wrap the leaf , and make the axle twist and the bars will "help" but not stop it from just looking at the design , and ya i got the paypal and am going to ship it out Monday most likely :hug:

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
Make sure you dont send him any big jets with his kit Trent becuase I need a fighting chance when we line up at the track:thumb:

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Nothing. That's not what it's designed to do. It's just for front to back stabilization.

so is the reason for not putting it beneath the axle to improve ground clearance:confused: i would think it would do both jobs if you could just relocate them

OR what if you maybe welded another pice to the bottom of the ladder and connected that to the bottom of the axle housing...thinking outloud here...

It semi stops the axle from wrapping because it "box's" the axle in and has to wrap the leaf , and make the axle twist and the bars will "help" but not stop it from just looking at the design , and ya i got the paypal and am going to ship it out Monday most likely :hug:

thanks man!:hug: no hurry with it so dont rush. whenever ya can ya can:D

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
It appears it would have no adjustability but yes if he were to mount it under the axle it would work much better to minimize axle wrap. Or like you say, add a piece that mounts under the axle.

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
hmmm frotn hanger looks good

rear bad

rear mount is above the axle tube.. yeah theres a "box" going on there.. but the axle levegage is still outside the box... which is compounded by the lift bllock and possible larger tires
barely effective almost purely for looks

either move the rear mount to under the axle or completely start over

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Make sure you dont send him any big jets with his kit Trent becuase I need a fighting chance when we line up at the track:thumb:

nothing a nice power drill cant fix right up:coolspot::rofl:

rear bad

rear mount is above the axle tube.. yeah theres a "box" going on there.. but the axle levegage is still outside the box... which is compounded by the lift bllock and possible larger tires

thats what i was pretty much thinking....but i guess offroad it would keep the axle from trying turn away from the frame...

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah

rear bad

I thought the same thing Adam , it would "help" but not much , it would be easy to remake the lower mount , and the bar itself is decent if nothing else it sure is purdy :rofl:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Thats not a ladder bar. What is pictured is 99% for looks (due to installation on this particular truck). The manuf may say it helps, but it does nothing but work with/for/against the leaf pack and all factory suspension, in this situation.

These types of traction bars will prevent axle wrap and wheel hop:
A ladder bar designed for traction will have 2 axle points on it (1 above tube, and 1 in front or below tube).

A single mount traction bar will mount to a flange below the axle tube and to the chassis of the truck.

cal tacks bind against the leaf and force off the leaf mount and axle mount to prevent axle wrap and can be preloaded.

Slide a link works pretty much the same as a cal track.

EDIT: Also if the bar pictured is installed with free sprung weight, it will apply some weight transfer to front tires....

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Those are for off road use , never built for what he is suing them for , all they do is "locate" the axle , and help stop axle wrap , and help is the key word due to the design . Its not a bad product just not design for drag racing .

Trent, the mounting point on the axle isnt below centerline, so IMO they arent addressing axle wrap. In fact, Id venture a guess that the axle is still trying to wrap up under them.

EDIT: I posted this before I read further than the quote. The guys already addressed my thinking.

Last edited: