remove tape from fender flares?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Is there any way to remove that gray 3M double sided tape from fender flares? Im going to be painting and mounting my used fender flares, and there is used tape on them...its a huge PITA to get the tape off, Ive been picking at it with an x-acto knife forever... any ideas?

thanks
ben

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
You could try a stripe eraser....but that may burn into the plastic.

3m makes an adhesive remover that works well, I used it on my handles after taking off the cheesy chrome covers that were on it when I bought it.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
I used 3m adhesive remover and my thumbs. They were raw but it works the best if you dont want to take plastic off. Or use lacquer thinner

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
i just did this last week on my truck and I used a 3m eraser wheel on a electric low speed drill and it worked perfectly and didnt burn the plastic. You can get them at napa.

For all the other stuff you cant get with the wheel I used 3m adhesive remover in a aerosal can.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
i just did this last week on my truck and I used a 3m eraser wheel on a electric low speed drill and it worked perfectly and didnt burn the plastic. You can get them at napa.

For all the other stuff you cant get with the wheel I used 3m adhesive remover in a aerosal can.

awesome!!

that sounds like a good idea Travis. How many eraser wheels did you use? I need to do 4 flares...should I grab more than one eraser wheel?

ben

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
awesome!!

that sounds like a good idea Travis. How many eraser wheels did you use? I need to do 4 flares...should I grab more than one eraser wheel?

ben

no, one eraser wheel will last you a long time.

I do stress again to use it on a slow speed drill, like one you plug into a wall slow or it will burn the plastic. Your thumbs will thank you

Last edited:

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
We just got done building a truck and we tried a eraser wheel. It ended up melting the plastic. Its easier to get a straight razor blade and "filet it". That is what worked for us the best.

SDP

AKA Dmax15
Dec 20, 2008
Port Angeles, WA
Another tip is to keep soaking it, with whatever remover you choose. If you soak it a few times and let it sit it will just roll off with you fingers like an hour later, heat doesn't hurt either

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
When any of you put your flares back on did you even bother putting new tape on them? Im de-salting my truck after a nasty winter and was hoping I could get away without new tape.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
i actually used a wire brush on a drill and just went over it lightly. worked perfect and i did all 4 in like 15min.