Refresh of my LMM.

badmatt

AVOCADOMAX
Mar 21, 2015
Finally got my LMM back together after a bunch of body work and some other basic refresh things.

69q9Rzo.jpg

Front suspension:
Kryptonite UCA's
Kryptonite tie rods
Deathgrip idler and pitman
Bilstein 4600's
New calipers
New rotors
Akebono Pads

Rear suspension:
Atlas leaves
Stock shackles
Bilstein 4600's
New calipers
New rotors
Akebono Pads

Body:
New bedsides
Outer wheel tubs
Passenger side and Drivers side rockers
New hood / bumper / bumper caps
New door seals and updated cab seals
Updated the tailgate cap to the 2011+
Full repaint including jambs in WA610G (Greenstone Metallic / Forest)
Rockers, bed rails, whole inside of bed and tailgate lined in Rhino lining.
large fender mod (from previous. Will be elf modding a new set of fenders shortly)

Frame was cleaned, striped and painted. Cleaned up everything that was reused with either Solution finish, SEM trim black. all factory hardware stripped and re-plated in gold cadmium, any suspect hardware replaced. Wheels were stripped and powder coated in Prismatic powders 'Triple Bronze"

Its been apart for a solid 5 months... finally back together to where I'm happy. Still need to install the rear part of the running board's to finish it off and my grill emblem and tow hooks.

Here's a before pic from a few years ago it didn't change.. other than the rust that just appeared..

YpwmICp.jpg

Matt

badmatt

AVOCADOMAX
Mar 21, 2015
Some shots from the process of the new bedsides.

I went to great lengths to try and mitigate any rust from returning.

Back side of the new bedside and tubs are rhino lined, entire bed structure is also lined. Wheel tubs were panel bonded and spot resistant welded. all the weld joints were done in the same fashion as well. Total of 3 tubes of 3M panel bonder were used in the bed alone along with the weld joints.

Stripped
g0woWB2.jpg

Sand blasted (the shine is from the epoxy sealer used)
xK8HFYg.jpg

Lined
8LXFXjR.jpg

EOtNq03.jpg

Here it is all finished up. the inside of the wheel tubs have over 1/8" of bed liner as well sprayed on to them for protection and a nice looking finish.

IfnstJN.jpg

MOOjenh.jpg

JN58ETL.jpg

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I did the same thing to my 2010 rcsb, took the bed off cleaned up frame and painted everything under the bed. I didn’t go as far as you did on the bed disassemble but mine had zero rust as it was from Jacksonville Florida. I did it 6 years ago and it is still perfect. Love that color…

Reactions: badmatt

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I would be interested to know more about the stuff you put on the frame. I am guessing it's pretty durable in that environment if you went through the trouble of using it.

Reactions: badmatt

badmatt

AVOCADOMAX
Mar 21, 2015
I would be interested to know more about the stuff you put on the frame. I am guessing it's pretty durable in that environment if you went through the trouble of using it.
I used KBS's system. https://www.kbs-coatings.com/large-frame-coater-kit.html

Has a chlorine wash, then a rust converter / neutralizer and then their chassis paint.

I took it a step further and utilized a flap disc for all the large sections that were more flat, and then followed up with a twisted wire cup brush all over to remove any scale, washed again and then followed their process .

I did top the KBS paint because its not the most UV stable paint with Deere Blitz black from my local deere dealer, which also killed a lot of the shine. (KBS satin black still have a lot of gloss)

My biggest word of advice, clean the living balls out of everything with castrol superclean before using their cleaning wash. Buy 2x the amount you think you'll need. I went through 8L (2 gallons) of rust blast (it works really well) and 2 litre's of paint with an additional litre of blitz black.

badmatt

AVOCADOMAX
Mar 21, 2015
I love the paint color you chose. Looks awesome.(y)
Thanks man!

I was bored of black and didnt want to spend 30hrs blocking the truck out for little gain. So, green it was!

I was going to paint it Ferrari Grigio Scuro. When I was on the way to the body shop to drop the bed off, a new AT4 passed me in this colour and I changed my mind right then and there.

badmatt

AVOCADOMAX
Mar 21, 2015
So I need some help guys.

Bilstein 5160’s or fox 2.0- reservoirs with compression adjustment?

These 4600’s arnt cutting it.

badmatt

AVOCADOMAX
Mar 21, 2015
I had 5100's and they were great and only lasted 8 months previously. likely due to me being lowered but, still.

Reactions: malibu795