Question: Rear leaf spring cracked/weak?

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I noticed that when i put a floor jack under the center of my front end and lift the truck, it sags down on the driverside as the front lifts. Passenger side stays the same height, no change. Probably a 1.5-2" sag on the driverside.

I noticed this a while back when i had the gooseneck hooked up but its not that noticable with airbags aired up.

I can't see any hairline cracks. What are yalls thoughts? I haven't torn the leaf packs apart yet.

Russ

sent telepathically via rooted thunderbolt

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
So your saying the rear sags on the driverside when you jack up the front? Like a weight distribution? How do you know your exactly in the center when jacking?

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
It's in the center of the front cross member. Not sure where the mass centerline is for the front end. It would have to be way off to the drivers side to do this.

With it doing it when a gooseneck is hooked up I know somethings not right because that is within 1/8th of an in of centerline.

I'll jack it up and take a pic

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Driverside is 1/8th lower just sitting there but this is negligable. Could be torsion differences in the front. With the front jacked up in the center of the truck and tires off the ground the passenger side rear stays the same height while the driverside rear drops 1" lower. Pretty dramatic when it should move very little if any at all when raising the front up only a couple inches up. It should at least be proportional unless the weight distribution is that far off.

Pics below, it is definitely noticable to the naked eye.

Can anyone confirm or deny this is supposed to happen?

a6f9c0b5-79d9-08f9.jpg

a6f9c0b5-79e9-be55.jpg

a6f9c0b5-79f7-f8a8.jpg

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I guess it could be, I will check again when its empty. My tank in the bed is empty now and I have 1/2-3/4 in the stock tank.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
if you are worried about cracked springs jack up under the pumpkin so both tires are hanging. inspect the main if its good then take a 3lbs sledge and hit the leaf pack. if you have a cracked spring you with hear jingling like coins in your pocket. if you just just the resonance of hitting metal on metal you are fine.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
if you are worried about cracked springs jack up under the pumpkin so both tires are hanging. inspect the main if its good then take a 3lbs sledge and hit the leaf pack. if you have a cracked spring you with hear jingling like coins in your pocket. if you just just the resonance of hitting metal on metal you are fine.

Good idea, ill troubleshoot it this weekend.