Radar detectors

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
you guys are missing the singled most important thing.

At least in Wisconsin.

The Cop DOES NOT HAVE TO USE THE RADAR OR PROVE YOUR SPEED. They are trained to be able to judge speed by sight. And that is all they need to give you your ticket.

The radar is there to help them but in wisconsin they dont always have to use it or show it to you to prove you were speeding.

So basically one of our cops can walk up to you and say you were doing 80 in a 65 write the ticket and your pretty much screwed. Because by the time you go through the hassle of battling it in court it isnt worth it and even if you do the judge often times rules int eh cops favor especially if you have a record. The only thing you can hope for is a reduction on the initial court date which is common around here.

Now the worst thing in wisconsin is our points system. Its way worse than the fines. You get 12 points on your license. And if you loose them, you loose your license. A ticket from 11-15 over is a 4 point ticket IIRC, so 3 times you get caught doing 78 down the interstate and bye bye license. not to mention they are ususally around $250.

so praise your radar detectors all you want. but around here they do you no good.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Ben's got the inside scoop since he did a bunch of ride alongs with me and has seen it first hand how and why it works.

Bottom line is that if you wanna speed, do it when its raining. RADAR works like pure trash when its raining. Its like shining a flashlight through a bottle of water. It distorts the beam, scattering it all over so its nearly impossible to get an accurate reading. The RADAR is hitting each and every single drop of rain in the air and it goes in a million different directions. RADAR will track you in the rain, but not accurately so its a win win for those who want to haul ass.

So now, what do I get for letting our little secret out? A gold star perhaps? :rofl:

I always kinda wondered that about the rain. I have never really had any issues with cops in my state with speeding they are pretty easy going and if you not being dangerous and stupid about it they don't care. I've been pulled over by weights and measures troppers that is another story, they are not so eay going. Passing through Florida with my pops back when I was a little kid we would drive his 300Z down there. We could barely keep up with the Semi's down there. I can't remember what highway it was, I just remember alligator alley. I am guessing the POPO is pretty understanding down in FL also.

Bobcat

Dec 5, 2008
X2!!

I've thought of that. I've been thinking of a system to stick a gps on every cop in town, then all sequence in a plotter in your truck, then YOU will know where their at. :D
That would be cool to have it show up on your nav screen. lol They should have locators in their radios like cell phones do.

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I do 10 under all the time.....

You better be boy!! That red sticks out too much. :hug:

Seems like most cops/hp are busy doing other things rather than pulling me over for doing 10 or so over. Unless its late at night, then they think your drunk. In 10 months maybe I will get to see the other side.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ben's got the inside scoop since he did a bunch of ride alongs with me and has seen it first hand how and why it works.

Bottom line is that if you wanna speed, do it when its raining. RADAR works like pure trash when its raining. Its like shining a flashlight through a bottle of water. It distorts the beam, scattering it all over so its nearly impossible to get an accurate reading. The RADAR is hitting each and every single drop of rain in the air and it goes in a million different directions. RADAR will track you in the rain, but not accurately so its a win win for those who want to haul ass.

So now, what do I get for letting our little secret out? A gold star perhaps? :rofl:

I was going to say that in my first post but thought you wanted to keep it a secret! :D :angel:

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
I always kinda wondered that about the rain. I have never really had any issues with cops in my state with speeding they are pretty easy going and if you not being dangerous and stupid about it they don't care. I've been pulled over by weights and measures troppers that is another story, they are not so eay going. Passing through Florida with my pops back when I was a little kid we would drive his 300Z down there. We could barely keep up with the Semi's down there. I can't remember what highway it was, I just remember alligator alley. I am guessing the POPO is pretty understanding down in FL also.

Thats would be interstate 75

brianfromhawaii

Jul 5, 2009
Unit453, i wish i lived on the mainland. id love to test your radar system against my jammer... so far zero tickets, detector goes off and jammer jams, i slow down and shut down jammer....

same with laser jammer..

as for rockey mountain radar - its fake. jamming is ILLEGAL. but im an electronics engineer :)

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
How about LiDAR? I'm guessing they're similarly useless in rain or similaly crumby weather?

Ben's got the inside scoop since he did a bunch of
ride alongs with me and has seen it first hand how and why it works.

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
Sorry Dave, I didnt realize you asked a question here. Too many forums to keep up with.

Yes, rain effects LIDAR but on a different level as rain. The lazer beam's range is reduced, much like RADAR and often times sporadic speed displays are effected. I dont have a whole lot of experience with LIDAR but these companies claim that there are incliment weather options on these things to help filter out precipitation.

Attachments

• lidar-backside-big.jpg
    lidar-backside-big.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 10
  • ProLaserIII_2.jpg
    ProLaserIII_2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 9