LBZ: PVC Routing Question

Duramax 6.6L

Nov 23, 2006
Esperance, NY
Has anyone tried the old trick of routing the pcv into the exhaust system like the drag racers do with a gas engine. This would create a negative pressure in the crank case which would help the the rings seal.

Last edited:

maine04max

Dec 11, 2008
not sure on a duramax , but a buddy of mine tried this on his pulling truck and it didnt turn out well oil everywhere

3500madmax4x4

Dec 18, 2009
texas
i did it on a old dodge because it had alot of blow by .. im not sure if it helped but the smell was killing me .. so i did it to force the fumes away from driver side of the truck.. but i can tell a change i beleive its worth a try..my truck acts different i think its a good idea i was trying to figure out a clean way to do it.. like hose it to a oil type box with gravty then run hose up to exhaust so it woulld make it harder for oil to flow up thru exhaust.. filter ?

Duramax 6.6L

Nov 23, 2006
Esperance, NY
If done correctly, I have seen 10 inches of vacuum pulled during acceleration, Doesn't really do anything a idle. This is on the track, would like to see what happens on the street.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If done correctly, I have seen 10 inches of vacuum pulled during acceleration, Doesn't really do anything a idle. This is on the track, would like to see what happens on the street.

On a diesel or a gasser? Straight piped or stock exhaust? Personally, I doubt it would help the rings seal in a Turbo-Charged Diesel Engine.

And it's spelled P C V for Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

P V C stands for Polyvinyl Chloride

3500madmax4x4

Dec 18, 2009
texas
i will say on that turbo charged 04 dodge 3/4 diesel 5.9 ..it pullled the blow by really well...because it was all over my tail gate when i would pull one of my gooseneck's.. before i ran it in to the side of the exhaust pipe it didnt do that.. it was a straight pipe .. but on that dodge the pcv was ran under the driver side.. when the wind blew just right the fumes would come in the window.. this was not on a duramax is the compression or force of the exhaust close? im gonna try it this week a little has to be better than 0 ?

3500madmax4x4

Dec 18, 2009
texas
what do you think ? run a 1/2 inch i.d. ..inlet pipe at a angle so as it enters exhaust pipe about a half inch into the exhaust stream .. and the part of the 1/2 inlet pipe cut at a angle for more surface area exposed to the exhaust stream to draw more of the pcv ?

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
I'm glad you got the PCV right. Now I can maybe read what some opinions are related to this when closed loop happens. I was wondering about putting that blowby in the exhaust and was seeing it a subject here hoping to read some valid comments. Last thread got closed from an ether whizzing contest and whatever. Eject and delete the ones who make it sour instead of closing the thing. On with the show hope to see good content now.

Duramax 6.6L

Nov 23, 2006
Esperance, NY
On a diesel or a gasser? Straight piped or stock exhaust? Personally, I doubt it would help the rings seal in a Turbo-Charged Diesel Engine.

And it's spelled P C V for Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

P V C stands for Polyvinyl Chloride

This was on a gas race engine, with straight pipe exhaust.

Hear of a typo, it does happen.

Last edited: