Allison 5sp: Pulling out my GD hair

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Here are the codes you pulled awhile back:

P0841 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Range/Performance
P0871 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "C" Circuit Range/Performance
P0872 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "C" Circuit Low
P0700 - Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
P0650 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp Circuit Conditions (Key on or engine running, system voltage from 8-16v, then the PCM detected an improper voltage level on the ODM 'D' output 1 circuit, condition met for at least 30 seconds.)
U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction Conditions
P0381 - Glow Plug/Heater Indicator Circuit
P0530 - A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit
U2106 - Loss of Communication with Transmission Control System

Since the transmission, glow plugs, and a/c refrigerant sensors are on different harnesses I think you might need to look beyond the trans harness and TCM. Have you checked your ECM connectors? All grounds? Including the ones inside the truck under the dash? The cluster acting up and changing brightness makes me think it might be a loose ground inside. There are grounds under the dash pad near the lower left and right corners of the windshield. The driver's side ground is for the cluster and dash harness, and I believe the passenger side one is for the HVAC unit.

You mentioned that you had pulled and reinstalled the large connectors under the fuse box correct? Got the bolts re-tightened on those? There's a couple of large connectors under the dash to check as well, same style with the bolt that holds them together. Since it sounds like you have access to another truck, have you tried swapping ECMs as well, or just TCMs?

I'm not 100% sure on the 03+ trucks, but on the 99-02s there is a class 2 data bus block under the dash too where the comms wires from several different modules connect so they can all communicate with each other. Might be worth looking into on yours as well.

Anyway, my guess is a bad/broken ground wire or class 2 data wire.

Last edited:

BigDMax05

Peanut butter and ladies!
Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
Here are the codes you pulled awhile back:

P0841 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Range/Performance
P0871 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "C" Circuit Range/Performance
P0872 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "C" Circuit Low
P0700 - Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
P0650 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp Circuit Conditions (Key on or engine running, system voltage from 8-16v, then the PCM detected an improper voltage level on the ODM 'D' output 1 circuit, condition met for at least 30 seconds.)
U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction Conditions
P0381 - Glow Plug/Heater Indicator Circuit
P0530 - A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor "A" Circuit
U2106 - Loss of Communication with Transmission Control System

Since the transmission, glow plugs, and a/c refrigerant sensors are on different harnesses I think you might need to look beyond the trans harness and TCM. Have you checked your ECM connectors? All grounds? Including the ones inside the truck under the dash? The cluster acting up and changing brightness makes me think it might be a loose ground inside. There are grounds under the dash pad near the lower left and right corners of the windshield. The driver's side ground is for the cluster and dash harness, and I believe the passenger side one is for the HVAC unit.

You mentioned that you had pulled and reinstalled the large connectors under the fuse box correct? Got the bolts re-tightened on those? There's a couple of large connectors under the dash to check as well, same style with the bolt that holds them together. Since it sounds like you have access to another truck, have you tried swapping ECMs as well, or just TCMs?

I'm not 100% sure on the 03+ trucks, but on the 99-02s there is a class 2 data bus block under the dash too where the comms wires from several different modules connect so they can all communicate with each other. Might be worth looking into on yours as well.

Anyway, my guess is a bad/broken ground wire or class 2 data wire.

Well I'm almost to the point where I'm gonna part it out. I have tried a different ECM, tcm, truck side wire harness, and a few other things. When the condition occurs the cel goes out. As you showed up top the glow plug cel and also hvac low pressure is on because it has no 134 in it from swapping engines. The cel goes out when the condition occurs.

Did you ever try swapping ignition switch?

No I havnt.

NJ_LLY

Back in action
Nov 4, 2008
Browns Mills, NJ
Im having a very similar issue rite now. Did you ever figure it out? My codes are U0101, U1000, P0802, C0055. I also have Service Brake System displayed and the ABS light is on with the brake light.

Last edited:

dogguy

Dec 22, 2013
my 04 lly had same lights on on dash and message on dash and needed new guage cluster I had no trans issues when this happened. replaced guage cluster and all good.

BigDMax05

Peanut butter and ladies!
Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
I traced my problem back to a bad abs module I believe. I can't get the module off the pump though because one of the torx head screws is stripped out. I could try and pull the pump but all the lines are to rusty to jack with. This could easily snowball into another $1000 that I don't want to spend on it. I was told that all of the tcm data relays through abs module and if it goes then so does the tcm. I don't have a 100% sure answer for you but I think that is my problem. Also bear in mind that I wasn't getting reliable codes with my problem. I could unplug my tcm from the harness and it would act completely the same. Good luck man I hope you get it figured!