Allison 5sp: Pulling out my GD hair

BigDMax05

Peanut butter and ladies!
Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
Just got my 03 all back together. Tranny build consisted of alto power packs, transgo kit, and PPE converter. First off as soon as I got it put together it threw a couple codes and the service brake system message was on and also the brake light and abs light and the line was missing from under the shift indicator. So I bought a new nsbu from merchant to replace the old black one that was on it. Bam fixed it im good to go. Driving the truck around today everything is perfect, motor running awesome and tranny shifting good. On my way back to the house I engaged the 4x4 just to make sure everything shifted into gear ok which it did and I took it right back out of 4x4. I pulled into the driveway to park less than a minute later and the line was gone from under the shift indicator and the tranny is in limp mode although I never felt or noticed it go into limp mode. I shifted from P to R and bang it shifted into gear hard and from R to D same thing goes right to 3rd. WTF? The only thing I can think that may have caused a problem was the tcase shifting in and out of 4x4. Any ideas? I havnt pulled the switch off of it yet.

BigDMax05

Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
NSBU wiring harness issue? Speed sensor wiring on Tcase?

Not sure Tom, I pulled both plugs on nsbu and also the output speed sensor and plugged them back in. changed nothing. I even changed the rear wss to see but no dice. There is a ground connection at the front cab mount that has been brought to my attention that Im going to clean tomorrow as well as any others that look nasty.

There are no codes set Mike. I did however clear the codes after this happened and the brake light and abs light went out as well as the service brake system message but I still have no line under the indicator and it goes right to 3rd.

BigDMax05

Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
Ok so I cleaned the ground today put some no-ox on it and painted it back over. At first I thought this fixed my problem. Ran around in it for probly 30 miles and then on the way home again the line disappeared from the indicator and it went to third. This time however no abs, brake, or service brake system message. The line came and went probly 5 times before it just stayed off completely. Still stumped and no codes. Starting to seem like an itermittent connection.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
Not sure if a bad connection at the trans harness plug would cause this. Is the plug wet? Internal wiring harness? Just a guess. Good luck

BigDMax05

Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
Ok so I havnt touched it for over a week. Got my LED's and stepper motors to rebuild dashboard so I went over to shop today to do that. When I first got to truck I turned the ignition on to see if the shift indicator had come back and it didn't to which I was a little relieved. From here I did three things that make me scratch my head. I pulled the gear selector into low 1 to remove dashboard, rebuilt dashboard and reinstalled, turned on heat in the barn. Not sure if last thing would have any effect but.....? Anyways when I put the dash back in the indicator line came back. The illumination went away for a second but then came back brighter than ever and the truck shifts into gear fine again. Wtf?

i_keyser

DD n00b
Jun 4, 2010
Denver
if it is limping then its setting a code in something. the only way you are going to fix this without spending way too much money throwing parts at it is to get a code to go off of.

BigDMax05

Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
Ok so here goes round three. Last night everything was fine been driving it for three days no problems. This morning I go out to start it to warm up before work and bam the service brake message comes up and the indicator line is missing speedometer is not working also. No codes. So I drive it from my house over to shop. On the way over to the shop the truck banged funny and line came back for a split second and then the brake message and light went out and speedometer started working again but it was still stuck in limp mode with no indicator line. Get to the shop to switch trucks and when I put it in park the CEL came on and the truck would no go in reverse and barely move forward. So I left it sit outside all day. Came straight back to it after work to pull codes and when I get in it the CEL is off and it will move but only in reverse and third and indicator line is missing. So I pulled codes and wrote them all down. I started to pull the dashboard out to unplug and plug it back in when all the sudden the dash lights got brighter and the indicator line came back. I erased the codes and hopped in it and drove off. Codes pulled include p0841, p0871, p0872, p0700. A p0650 came up in pending EPA codes and a u1000, p0381, p0530, u2106 in the mfr. set codes. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!